Multihoming and compatibility
This paper analyzes the consequences of multihoming on private and social incentives for compatibility. Multihoming occurs in our model when consumers buy from both of two competing firms so as to capture network benefits. We address whether the ability of consumers to multihome means policymakers do not need to worry about compatibility between ‘networks’.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Armstrong, 2005.
"Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ralph-C. Bayer & Mickey Chan, 2007.
"Network Externalities, Demand Inertia and Dynamic Pricing in an Experimental Oligopoly Market,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(263), pages 405-415, December.
- Ralph-C Bayer & Mickey Chan, 2004. "Network Externalities, Demand Inertia, and Dynamic Pricing in an Experimental Oligopoly Market," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 108, Econometric Society.
- Ralph C Bayer & Mickey Chan, 2004. "Network Externalities, Demand Inertia and Dynamic Pricing in an Experimental Oligopoly Market," Experimental 0412004, EconWPA.
- Ralph-C Bayer & Mickey Chan, 2004. "Network Externalities, Demand Inertia and Dynamic Pricing in an Experimental Oligopoly Market," School of Economics Working Papers 2004-08, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
- Jeffrey Church & Ian King, 1993. "Bilingualism and Network Externalities," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 337-45, May.
- Crémer, Jacques & Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 1999.
"Connectivity in the Commercial Internet,"
IDEI Working Papers
87, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2000.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
- de Palma, Andre & Leruth, Luc & Regibeau, Pierre, 1999. "Partial compatibility with network externalities and double purchase," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 209-227, July.
- Griva, Krina & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2011.
"Price competition in a differentiated products duopoly under network effects,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 85-97, March.
- Griva, Krina & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2004. "Price Competition in a Differentiated Products Duopoly Under Network Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 4574, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:reg:rpubli:253 is not listed on IDEAS
- Armstrong, Mark & Vickers, John, 2001. "Competitive Price Discrimination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 579-605, Winter.
- Farrell, Joseph & Saloner, Garth, 1992.
"Converters, Compatibility, and the Control of Interfaces,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 9-35, March.
- Farrell, Joseph, 1989. "Converters, Compatibility, and the Control of Interfaces," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt8161p50b, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Joseph Farrell and Garth Saloner., 1989. "Converters, Compatibility, and the Control of Interfaces," Economics Working Papers 89-130, University of California at Berkeley.
- Shy,Oz, 2001.
"The Economics of Network Industries,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521800952, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:24:y:2006:i:1:p:45-67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.