Imperfect Platform Competition: A General Framework
The externalities advertisers receive from newspaper readers and that operating system users receive from software developers are among the leading features of those “platform” industries. However, they are rarely incorporated into applied models of imperfect competition. We argue this omission is due to a basic theoretical indeterminacy created by these externalities and propose the solution concept of Insulated Equilibrium to resolve it. At such equilibrium, each platform’s price on one side of the market adjusts to participation on the other side so as to insulate its own allocation, eliminating both the necessity for consumer coordination and the multiplicity of platform best replies. This allows us to solve a model of oligopoly without the unrealistic restrictions typically imposed for tractability and to demonstrate that the fundamental additional distortion created by consumption externalities is analogous to that identified by Spence (1975)’s analysis of a quality-choosing monopolist.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jiawei Chen & Ulrich Doraszelski & Joseph E. Harrington, Jr., 2008.
"Avoiding Market Dominance: Product Compatibility in Markets with Network Effects,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
537, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Jiawei Chen & Ulrich Doraszelski & Joseph E. Harrington, Jr., 2009. "Avoiding market dominance: product compatibility in markets with network effects," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(3), pages 455-485.
- Ulrich Doraszelski & Joe Harrington & Jiawei Chen, 2009. "Avoiding Market Dominance: Product Compatibility in Markets with Network Effects," 2009 Meeting Papers 30, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Rabah Amir & Val E. Lambson, 1998.
"On the Effects of Entry in Cournot Markets,"
CIE Discussion Papers
1998-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Rabah Amir, 2000. "On the Effects of Entry in Cournot Markets," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1475, Econometric Society.
- AMIR, Rabah & LAMBSON, Val, 1999. "On the effects of entry in Cournot markets," CORE Discussion Papers 1999059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- John William Hatfield & Scott Duke Kominers & Alexandru Nichifor & Michael Ostrovsky & Alexander Westkamp, 2013. "Stability and Competitive Equilibrium in Trading Networks," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 121(5), pages 966 - 1005.
- Jean Tirole & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2006.
"Two-Sided Markets : A Progress Report,"
- Chandra, Ambarish & Collard-Wexler, Allan, 2008.
"Mergers in Two-Sided Markets: An Application to the Canadian Newspaper Industry,"
7954, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ambarish Chandra & Allan Collard-Wexler, 2009. "Mergers in Two-Sided Markets: An Application to the Canadian Newspaper Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 1045-1070, December.
- Glenn Ellison & Drew Fudenberg, 2003. "Knife-Edge or Plateau: When Do Market Models Tip?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1249-1278.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform competition in two sided markets,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
- Cantillon, Estelle & Yin, Pai-Ling, 2008. "Competition between Exchanges: Lessons from the Battle of the Bund," CEPR Discussion Papers 6923, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrei Hagiu & Robin S. Lee, 2011. "Exclusivity and Control," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 679-708, 09.
- Tirole, Jean & Weyl, Glen, 2010. "Materialistic Genius and Market Power: Uncovering the best innovations," IDEI Working Papers 629, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bedre-Defolie, Özlem & Calvano, Emilio, 2009.
"Pricing payment cards,"
Working Paper Series
1139, European Central Bank.
- Elena Argentesi & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2007.
"Estimating market power in a two-sided market: The case of newspapers,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1247-1266.
- Elena Argentesi & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2005. "Estimating market power in a two-sided market: the case of newspapers," Economics Working Papers ECO2005/07, European University Institute.
- Kenneth C. Wilbur, 2008. "A Two-Sided, Empirical Model of Television Advertising and Viewing Markets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(3), pages 356-378, 05-06.
- Ilya Segal, 1999. "Contracting with Externalities," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(2), pages 337-388.
- White, Alexander, 2013. "Search engines: Left side quality versus right side profits," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 690-701.
- A. Michael Spence, 1975. "Monopoly, Quality, and Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 417-429, Autumn.
- Alvin E. Roth, 2002. "The Economist as Engineer: Game Theory, Experimentation, and Computation as Tools for Design Economics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1341-1378, July.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:645-667 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso, 2004.
"Content and Advertising in the Media: Pay-TV versus Free-To-Air,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2008. "Content and advertising in the media: Pay-tv versus free-to-air," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 949-965, July.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:668-691 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:720-737 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ackerberg, Daniel & Lanier Benkard, C. & Berry, Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 2007. "Econometric Tools for Analyzing Market Outcomes," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 63 Elsevier.
- Matthew Gentzkow, 2007. "Valuing New Goods in a Model with Complementarity: Online Newspapers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 713-744, June.
- Klemperer, Paul D & Meyer, Margaret A, 1989. "Supply Function Equilibria in Oligopoly under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1243-77, November.
- Jaffe Sonia & Weyl E. Glen, 2010. "Linear Demand Systems are Inconsistent with Discrete Choice," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-8, December.
- Mark Armstrong & Julian Wright, 2007. "Two-sided Markets, Competitive Bottlenecks and Exclusive Contracts," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 353-380, August.
- E. Glen Weyl, 2010. "A Price Theory of Multi-sided Platforms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1642-72, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:net:wpaper:1017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicholas Economides)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.