Two-Sided B2B Platforms
This chapter provides a roadmap to the burgeoning literature on two-sided markets with a specific focus on BtoB market places. On-line intermediation involves two-sided network effects between buyers and sellers, and the implications for optimal BtoB platforms’ tariffs are discussed. The chapter discusses first the monopoly case, drawing attention to the distinction between upfront registration and transaction fees. Then the competitive case is discussed, with different degrees of differentiation, the distinction between single-homing and multi-homing, and different business models. The last section is devoted to non-price issues such as tying, the design of the matching process and the ownership structure.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & TOULEMONDE, Eric, 2007.
"Negative intra-group externalities in two-sided markets,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2007039, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Paul Belleflamme & Eric Toulemonde, 2009. "Negative Intra-Group Externalities In Two-Sided Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(1), pages 245-272, 02.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & TOULEMONDE, Eric, "undated". "Negative intra-group externalities in two-sided markets," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2119, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Paul Belleflamme & Eric Toulemonde, 2007. "Negative Intra-Group Externalities in Two-Sided Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 2011, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ettore Damiano & Hao Li, 2007.
"Price discrimination and efficient matching,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 30(2), pages 243-263, February.
- Alexander White & E. Glen Weyl, 2010. "Imperfect Platform Competition: A General Framework," Working Papers 10-17, NET Institute, revised Nov 2010.
- Alexandre Gaudeul & Bruno Jullien, 2004.
"E-commerce : Quelques éléments d'économie industrielle,"
- Bruno Jullien & Alexandre Gaudeul, 2001. "E-commerce. Quelques éléments d'économie industrielle," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 52(1), pages 97-117.
- Alexandre Gaudeul & Bruno Jullien, 2001. "E-commerce. Quelques éléments d'économie industrielle," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 52(7), pages 97-117.
- David Bardey & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2010.
"Competition Among Health Plans: A Two-Sided Market Approach,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(2), pages 435-451, 06.
- David Bardey & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2009. "Competition among health plans: a two-sided market approach," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 005217, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Marc Rysman, 2009. "The Economics of Two-Sided Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(3), pages 125-143, Summer.
- Mark Armstrong, 2006.
"Competition in two‐sided markets,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 668-691, 09.
- BELLEFLAME, Paul & PEITZ, Martin, "undated".
"Platform competition and seller investment incentives,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2339, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Belleflamme, Paul & Peitz, Martin, 2010. "Platform competition and seller investment incentives," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 1059-1076, November.
- Amelio, Andrea & Jullien, Bruno, 2012.
"Tying and freebies in two-sided markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 436-446.
- Michael R. Baye & John Morgan, 2001. "Information Gatekeepers on the Internet and the Competitiveness of Homogeneous Product Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 454-474, June.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Technology Adoption in the Presence of Network Externalities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 822-841, August.
- Michael D. Whinston, 1989.
"Tying, Foreclosure, and Exclusion,"
NBER Working Papers
2995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Lucking-Reiley & Daniel F. Spulber, 2000.
"Business-to-Business Electronic Commerce,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0016, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Volker Nocke & Martin Peitz & Konrad Stahl, 2004.
PIER Working Paper Archive
04-029, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Nocke, Volker & Peitz, Martin & Stahl, Konrad, 2004. "Platform Ownership," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 16, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Nocke, Volker & Peitz, Martin & Stahl, Konrad, 2004. "Platform Ownership," CEPR Discussion Papers 4657, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Byungjoon Yoo & Vidyanand Choudhary & Tridas Mukhopadhyay, 2007. "Electronic B2B Marketplaces with Different Ownership Structures," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(6), pages 952-961, June.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-328, Summer.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Gerhard Illing & Martin Peitz (ed.), 2006. "Industrial Organization and the Digital Economy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262090414, September.
- Innes, Robert & Sexton, Richard J., 1993. "Customer coalitions, monopoly price discrimination and generic entry deterrence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1569-1597, December.
- Dimitri,Nicola & Piga,Gustavo & Spagnolo,Giancarlo (ed.), 2006. "Handbook of Procurement," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521870733, December.
- Armstrong, Mark, 2001. "The theory of access pricing and interconnection," MPRA Paper 15608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wright, Julian, 2003. "Optimal card payment systems," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 587-612, August.
- E. Glen Weyl, 2010. "A Price Theory of Multi-sided Platforms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1642-1672, September.
- Andrei Hagiu, 2009. "Two-Sided Platforms: Product Variety and Pricing Structures," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 1011-1043, December.
- Hagiu Andrei, 2007. "Merchant or Two-Sided Platform?," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-19, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:23814. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.