Price discrimination and efficient matching
This paper considers the problem of a monopoly matchmaker that uses a schedule of entrance fees to sort different types of agents on the two sides of a matching market into exclusive meeting places, where agents randomly form pairwise matches. We make the standard assumption that the match value function exhibits complementarities, so that matching types at equal percentiles maximizes total match value and is efficient. We provide necessary and sufficient conditions for the revenue-maximizing sorting to be efficient. These conditions require the match value function, modified to incorporate the incentive cost of eliciting private type information, to exhibit complementarities along the efficient path of matching types at equal percentiles.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 30 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inderst, Roman, 2001. "Screening in a Matching Market," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(4), pages 849-68, October.
- Ettore Damiano & Hao Li & Wing Suen, 2005.
"Unravelling of Dynamic Sorting,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 1057-1076.
- Eric Maskin & John Riley, 1984. "Monopoly with Incomplete Information," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(2), pages 171-196, Summer.
- BLOCH, Francis & RYDER, Harl, 1994.
"Two-Sided Search, Marriages and Matchmakers,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994028, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lones Smith, 2006. "The Marriage Model with Search Frictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(6), pages 1124-1146, December.
- Ettore Damiano & Hao Li, 2004.
"Unraveling of Dynamic Sorting,"
2004 Meeting Papers
174, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Damiano, Ettore & Li, Hao & Suen, Wing, 2004. "Unraveling of Dynamic Sorting," Microeconomics.ca working papers damiano-04-08-11-03-02-02, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 11 Aug 2004.
- Ettore Damiano & Hao Li, 2004. "Unraveling of Dynamic Sorting," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 72, Econometric Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:30:y:2007:i:2:p:243-263. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.