Exclusive Nightclubs and Lonely Hearts Columns: Non-monotone Participation in Optional Intermediation
In many decentralised markets, the traders who benefit most from an exchange do not employ intermediaries even though they can easily afford them. For other traders, those who benefit little from trade, intermediaries are too expensive. Together, these observations lead to empirically observed participation choices which are non-monotone in "type". This paper provides a theoretical foundation for this hitherto unexplained phenomenon. We build a dynamic model, where the equilibrium bargaining share of a trader is a convex increasing function of her type. This characteristic ensures the existence of equilibria where only traders of middle type employ the intermediary, while the rest, the high and the low types, prefer to search for a trading partner directly.
|Date of creation:||11 Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.econ.ed.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gunter J. Hitsch & Ali Horta�su & Dan Ariely, 2010. "Matching and Sorting in Online Dating," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 130-63, March.
- Clerides, Sofronis & Nearchou, Paris & Pashardes, Panos, 2008. "Intermediaries as quality assessors: Tour operators in the travel industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 372-392, January.
- Damiano, Ettore & Li, Hao, 2005.
Microeconomics.ca working papers
damiano-05-01-25-10-08-07, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 18 Oct 2005.
- Alos-Ferrer, Carlos, 1999.
"Dynamical Systems with a Continuum of Randomly Matched Agents,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 245-267, June.
- Alos-Ferrer, C., 1998. "Dynamic Systems with a Continuum of Randomly Matched Agents," Papers 9801, Washington St. Louis - School of Business and Political Economy.
- Carlos Alós-Ferrer, 1998. "- Dynamical Systems With A Continuum Of Randomly Matched Agents," Working Papers. Serie AD 1998-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Ettore Damiano & Hao Li, 2004.
"Unraveling of Dynamic Sorting,"
2004 Meeting Papers
174, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Damiano, Ettore & Li, Hao & Suen, Wing, 2004. "Unraveling of Dynamic Sorting," Microeconomics.ca working papers damiano-04-08-11-03-02-02, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 11 Aug 2004.
- Ettore Damiano & Hao Li, 2004. "Unraveling of Dynamic Sorting," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 72, Econometric Society.
- Fingleton, John, 1997. "Competition among Middlemen When Buyers and Sellers Can Trade Directly," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 405-27, December.
- Nadia Burani, 2008. "Matching, search and intermediation with two-sided heterogeneity," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 75-117, June.
- Zumpano, Leonard V & Elder, Harold W & Baryla, Edward A, 1996. "Buying a House and the Decision to Use a Real Estate Broker," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 169-81, September.
- Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z., 2001. "The role of intermediaries in enhancing market efficiency in the Ethiopian grain market," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 311-320, September.
- Shimer, R. & Smith, L., 1998.
"Assortive Matching and Search,"
98-09, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Shimer, R. & Smith, L., 1997. "Assortative Matching and Search," Working papers 97-2a, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Shimer, R. & Smith, L., 1997. "Assortative Matching and Search," Working papers 97-2b, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Damiano, Ettore & Li, Hao, 2005.
"Price Discrimination and Efficient Matching,"
Microeconomics.ca working papers
damiano-05-03-21-12-21-58, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 22 Mar 2005.
- Yavas, Abdullah, 1994. "Middlemen in Bilateral Search Markets," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(3), pages 406-29, July.
- Nick Feltovich & Richmond Harbaugh & Ted To, 2002. "Too Cool for School? Signalling and Countersignalling," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(4), pages 630-649, Winter.
- Hoppe, Heidrun C. & Moldovanu, Benny & Ozdenoren, Emre, 2007. "Coarse Matching and Price Discrimination," CEPR Discussion Papers 6041, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eugene Choo & Aloysius Siow, 2006. "Who Marries Whom and Why," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(1), pages 175-201, February.
- Ettore Damiano & Hao Li & Wing Suen, 2005.
"Unravelling of Dynamic Sorting,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 1057-1076.
- R. Preston McAfee, 2002. "Coarse Matching," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 2025-2034, September.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
- Ludovic Renou, 2011.
"Group Formation and Governance,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 13(4), pages 595-630, 08.
- Ludovic Renou, 2007. "Group formation and governance," Discussion Papers in Economics 07/07, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Ludovic Renou, 2008. "Group formation and governance," Discussion Papers in Economics 08/15, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Nov 2008.
- Gregg, Paul & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 1996. "How Effective Are State Employment Agencies? Jobcentre Use and Job Matching in Britain," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(3), pages 443-67, August.
- Bloch, Francis & Ryder, Harl, 2000.
"Two-Sided Search, Marriages, and Matchmakers,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(1), pages 93-115, February.
- Lones Smith, 2006. "The Marriage Model with Search Frictions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(6), pages 1124-1146, December.
- Thomas Gehrig, 1993.
"Intermediation in Search Markets,"
1058, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z., 2001. "The role of intermediaries in enhancing market efficiency in the Ethiopian grain market," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 25(2-3), September.
- Becker, Gary S, 1973. "A Theory of Marriage: Part I," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 813-46, July-Aug..
- Hui-wen Koo & Pei-yu Lo, 2004. "Sorting: The Function of Tea Middlemen in Taiwan during the Japanese Colonial Era," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 160(4), pages 607-, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edn:esedps:196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.