News Aggregators and Competition Among Newspapers in the Internet
We study how the presence of a news aggregator affects quality choices of newspapers competing on the Internet. To provide a microfoundation for the role of the aggregator, we build a model of multiple issues where each newspaper chooses quality on each issue. This model captures the "business-stealing effect" and the "readership expansion effect" of the aggregator. We find that the presence of the aggregator leads newspapers to specialize in news coverage, changes quality choices from strategic substitutes to strategic complements and is likely to increase the quality of newspapers and social welfare, with an ambiguous effect on newspapers’ profits.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:||16 Jul 2014|
|Publication status:||Published in American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, vol. 8, n°4, octobre 2016, p. 91-114.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2008.
"Content and advertising in the media: Pay-tv versus free-to-air,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 949-965, July.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso, 2004. "Content and Advertising in the Media: Pay-TV versus Free-To-Air," CEPR Discussion Papers 4771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chrysanthos Dellarocas & Zsolt Katona & William Rand, 2010. "Media, Aggregators and the Link Economy: Strategic Hyperlink Formation in Content Networks," Working Papers 10-13, NET Institute.
- Kroft, Kory & Pope, Devin G., 2012. "Does Online Search Crowd Out Traditional Search and Improve Matching Efficiency? Evidence from Craigslist," CLSSRN working papers clsrn_admin-2012-35, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 30 Nov 2012.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Menicucci, Domenico, 2009.
"Interconnection among Academic Journal Websites: Multilateral versus Bilateral Interconnection,"
IDEI Working Papers
579, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Doh‐Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2011. "Interconnection among academic journal websites: multilateral versus bilateral interconnection," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 42(2), pages 363-386, 06.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Menicucci, Domenico, 2009. "Interconnection among Academic Journal Websites: Multilateral versus Bilateral Interconnection," TSE Working Papers 09-102, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2007.
"The pricing of academic journals: A two-sided market perspective,"
Economics Working Papers
1025, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2009.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2010. "The Pricing of Academic Journals: A Two-Sided Market Perspective," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 222-255, May.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2009. "The Pricing of Academic Journals: A Two-Sided Market Perspective," TSE Working Papers 09-098, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2009. "The Pricing of Academic Journals: A Two-Sided Market Perspective," IDEI Working Papers 458, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Mark Armstrong, 2005.
"Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
- Anderson, Simon P. & Foros, Øystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & Peitz, Martin, 2012.
"Media market concentration, advertising levels, and ad prices,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 321-325.
- Simon P. Anderson & Oystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind & Martin Peitz, 2011. "Media Market Concentration, Advertising Levels, and Ad Prices," CESifo Working Paper Series 3677, CESifo Group Munich.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Foros, Øystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & Peitz, Martin, 2011. "Media market concentration, advertising levels, and ad prices," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 24/2011, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Claude Crampes & Carole Haritchabalet & Bruno Jullien, 2005.
"Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1591, CESifo Group Munich.
- Crampes, Claude & Haritchabalet, Carole & Jullien, Bruno, 2006. "Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries," IDEI Working Papers 374, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- George, Lisa M. & Hogendorn, Christiaan, 2012. "Aggregators, search and the economics of new media institutions," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 40-51.
- Joan Calzada & Guillem Ordóñez, 2012. "Competition in the news industry: fighting aggregators with versions and links," Working Papers 12-22, NET Institute.
- Susan Athey & Emilio Calvano & Joshua Gans, 2013. "The Impact of the Internet on Advertising Markets for News Media," NBER Working Papers 19419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Rutt, 2011. "Aggregators and the News Industry: Charging for Access to Content," Working Papers 11-19, NET Institute, revised Sep 2011.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:27049. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.