News Aggregators and Competition Among Newspapers in the Internet
We study how the presence of a news aggregator affects quality choices of newspapers competing on the Internet. To provide a microfoundation for the role of the aggregator, we build a model of multiple issues where each newspaper chooses quality on each issue. This model captures the "business-stealing effect" and the "readership expansion effect" of the aggregator. We find that the presence of the aggregator leads newspapers to specialize in news coverage, changes quality choices from strategic substitutes to strategic complements and is likely to increase the quality of newspapers and social welfare, with an ambiguous effect on newspapers’ profits.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:||20 Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joan Calzada & Guillem Ordóñez, 2012. "Competition in the news industry: fighting aggregators with versions and links," Working Papers 12-22, NET Institute.
- George, Lisa M. & Hogendorn, Christiaan, 2012. "Aggregators, search and the economics of new media institutions," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 40-51.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Foros, Øystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & Peitz, Martin, 2011.
"Media market concentration, advertising levels, and ad prices,"
Discussion Paper Series in Economics
24/2011, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Foros, Øystein & Kind, Hans Jarle & Peitz, Martin, 2012. "Media market concentration, advertising levels, and ad prices," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 321-325.
- Simon P. Anderson & Oystein Foros & Hans Jarle Kind & Martin Peitz, 2011. "Media Market Concentration, Advertising Levels, and Ad Prices," CESifo Working Paper Series 3677, CESifo Group Munich.
- Chrysanthos Dellarocas & Zsolt Katona & William Rand, 2010. "Media, Aggregators and the Link Economy: Strategic Hyperlink Formation in Content Networks," Working Papers 10-13, NET Institute.
- Crampes, Claude & Haritchabalet, Carole & Jullien, Bruno, 2006.
"Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries,"
IDEI Working Papers
374, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Claude Crampes & Carole Haritchabalet & Bruno Jullien, 2005. "Advertising, Competition and Entry in Media Industries," CESifo Working Paper Series 1591, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Menicucci, Domenico, 2009.
"Interconnection among Academic Journal Websites: Multilateral versus Bilateral Interconnection,"
IDEI Working Papers
579, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Doh‐Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2011. "Interconnection among academic journal websites: multilateral versus bilateral interconnection," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 42(2), pages 363-386, 06.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Menicucci, Domenico, 2009. "Interconnection among Academic Journal Websites: Multilateral versus Bilateral Interconnection," TSE Working Papers 09-102, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- James Rutt, 2011. "Aggregators and the News Industry: Charging for Access to Content," Working Papers 11-19, NET Institute, revised Sep 2011.
- Kroft, Kory & Pope, Devin G., 2012. "Does Online Search Crowd Out Traditional Search and Improve Matching Efficiency? Evidence from Craigslist," CLSSRN working papers clsrn_admin-2012-35, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 30 Nov 2012.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:27049. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.