Interconnection among Academic Journal Websites: Multilateral versus Bilateral Interconnection
Electronic academic journal websites provide new services of text and/or data mining and linking, indispensable for efficient allocation of attention among abundant sources of scientific information. Fully realizing the benefit of these services requires interconnection among websites. Motivated by CrossRef, a multilateral citation linking backbone, this paper performs a comparison between multilateral interconnection through an open platform and bilateral interconnection, and finds that publishers are fully interconnected in the former regime while they can be partially interconnected in the latter regime for exclusion or differentiation motives. Surprisingly, if partial interconnection arises for differentiation motive, exclusion of small publisher(s) occurs more often under multilateral interconnection. We also find that in the case of multilateral interconnection, a for-profit platform induces less exclusion than an open platform. Various other extensions are analyzed.
|Date of creation:||30 Oct 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in The RAND Journal of Economics, vol. 42, n°2, Summer 2011, p. 363-386.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doh‐Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2011.
"Interconnection among academic journal websites: multilateral versus bilateral interconnection,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 42(2), pages 363-386, June.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Menicucci, Domenico, 2009. "Interconnection among Academic Journal Websites: Multilateral versus Bilateral Interconnection," TSE Working Papers 09-102, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Menicucci, Domenico, 2009. "Interconnection among Academic Journal Websites: Multilateral versus Bilateral Interconnection," IDEI Working Papers 579, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Paul Belleflamme & Francis Bloch, 2004. "Market sharing agreements and collusive networks," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(2), pages 387-411, 05.
- ELLEFLAMME, Paul & BLOCH, Francis, "undated". "Market sharing agreements and collusive networks," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1711, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Paul Belleflamme & Francis Bloch, 2004. "Market sharing agreements and collusive networks," Post-Print hal-01505789, HAL.
- Paul Belleflamme & Francis Bloch, 2001. "Market Sharing Agreements and Collusive Networks," Working Papers 443, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Mark McCabe, 2004. "Information goods and endogenous pricing strategies: the case of academic journals," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(10), pages 1-11.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2004:i:10:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Antonio Cabrales & Antoni Calvó-Armengol, 2003. "Corporate Downsizing to Rebuild Team Spirit," Working Papers 183, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Cabrales Goitia Antonio & Calvó-Armengol Antoni, 2007. "Corporate Downsizing to Rebuild Team Spirit," Working Papers 201084, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Farrell, Joseph & Saloner, Garth, 1986. "Installed Base and Compatibility: Innovation, Product Preannouncements, and Predation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 940-955, December.
- Bernheim, B. Douglas & Peleg, Bezalel & Whinston, Michael D., 1987. "Coalition-Proof Nash Equilibria I. Concepts," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-12, June.
- Antonio Cabrales & Antoni Calvó-Armengol, 2007. "Corporate Downsizing to Rebuild Team Spirit: How Costly Voting Can Foster Cooperation," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 5(5), pages 1016-1042, September.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2008. "Interconnection among academic journal platforms: Multilateral versus bilateral interconnection," Economics Working Papers 1074, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2009. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)