The Benefits of Diverse Preferences in Library Consortia
This paper identifies strategies to build a library consortium from a long term point of view. Contrary to the conventional wisdom to build a consortium around groups of homogenous institutions (Davis, 2002), we find that libraries with similar preferences are likely to lose from building a consortium while libraries with opposite preferences almost always gain from it. Our results suggest a strong tension between a short-term strategy and a long-term strategy as long as the former dictates forming a consortium around libraries with homogenous preferences in order to gain from quantity discounts. This tension might create a "library consortium trap".
|Date of creation:||21 Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2015|
|Publication status:||Published in The Journal of Industrial Economics, 2016.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCabe Mark J & Snyder Christopher M., 2007. "Academic Journal Prices in a Digital Age: A Two-Sided Market Model," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-39, January.
- Anindya Ghose & Ke-Wei Huang, 2009. "Personalized Pricing and Quality Customization," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 1095-1135, December.
- Mark McCabe, 2004. "Information goods and endogenous pricing strategies: the case of academic journals," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(10), pages 1-11.
- Mark Armstrong, 2010.
"Collection Sales: Good Or Bad For Journals?,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(1), pages 163-176, 01.
- repec:cdl:ucsbec:16-01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Doh Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2001.
"Optimal second-degree price discrimination and arbitrage: On the role of asymetric information among buyers,"
Economics Working Papers
624, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jan 2005.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2005. "Optimal Second-Degree Price Discrimination and Arbitrage: On the Role of Asymmetric Information Among Buyers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(2), pages 337-360, Summer.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2001. "Optimal Second-degree Price Discrimination and Arbitrage: On the Role of Asymmetric Information among Buyers," Working Papers 21, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Armstrong, Mark, 2014.
"Opening Access to Research,"
59731, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Vives, Xavier, 1988.
"On the Strategic Choice of Spatial Price Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 122-37, March.
- Thisse, J.-F. & Vives, X., 1987. "On the strategic choice of spatial price policy," CORE Discussion Papers 1987008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- THISSE, Jacques-François & VIVES, Xavier, . "On the strategic choice of spatial price policy," CORE Discussion Papers RP 793, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Menicucci, Domenico, 2009.
"Interconnection among Academic Journal Websites: Multilateral versus Bilateral Interconnection,"
IDEI Working Papers
579, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Doh‐Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2011. "Interconnection among academic journal websites: multilateral versus bilateral interconnection," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 42(2), pages 363-386, 06.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Menicucci, Domenico, 2009. "Interconnection among Academic Journal Websites: Multilateral versus Bilateral Interconnection," TSE Working Papers 09-102, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Roman Inderst & Christian Wey, 2003.
"Buyer Power and Supplier Incentives,"
CIG Working Papers
SP II 2003-05, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Yuxin Chen & Xinxin Li, 2013. "Group Buying Commitment and Sellers’ Competitive Advantages," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 164-183, 03.
- Marvel, Howard P. & Yang, Huanxing, 2008. "Group purchasing, nonlinear tariffs, and oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1090-1105, September.
- Roman Inderst & Greg Shaffer, 2007.
"Retail Mergers, Buyer Power and Product Variety,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(516), pages 45-67, 01.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2009.
"The Pricing of Academic Journals: A Two-Sided Market Perspective,"
IDEI Working Papers
458, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2010. "The Pricing of Academic Journals: A Two-Sided Market Perspective," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 222-55, May.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2007. "The pricing of academic journals: A two-sided market perspective," Economics Working Papers 1025, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2009.
- Jeon, Doh-Shin & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2009. "The Pricing of Academic Journals: A Two-Sided Market Perspective," TSE Working Papers 09-098, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2004:i:10:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ted Bergstrom, 2001.
"Free Labor for Costly Journals?,"
- Bergstrom, Ted, 2001. "Free Labor for Costly Journals?," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt5jc0893p, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Victor Ginsburgh & Patrick Legros & Alexis Walckiers & Jean-Pierre Devroey & Marianne Dujardin & Françoise Vandooren & Pierre Dubois & Jérôme Foncel & Marc Ivaldi & Marie-Dominiq, 2006. "Study on the economic and technical evolution of the scientific publication markets in Europe," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9545, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dana, James D., 2012. "Buyer groups as strategic commitments," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 470-485.
- Tasneem Chipty & Christopher M. Snyder, 1999. "The Role Of Firm Size In Bilateral Bargaining: A Study Of The Cable Television Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 326-340, May.
- Ingela Alger, 1999. "Consumer Strategies Limiting the Monopolist's Power: Multiple and Joint Purchases," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(4), pages 736-757, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:27443. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.