Competition and Cooperation in Network Games
We consider games where agents are embedded in a network of bilateral relationships and have multivariate strategy sets. Some components of their strategies correspond to individual activities, while the other strategic components are related to joint activities and interaction with the partners. We introduce several new equilibrium concepts that account for the possibility that players act competitively in individual components of their strategy but cooperate on the components corresponding to joint activity or collaboration. We apply these concepts to the R&D collaboration networks model where firms engage in bilateral joint projects with other firms. The analysis shows that investments are highest under bilateral cooperation and lowest under full cooperation because the spillovers associated to bilateral collaboration are bound to the partnership. This leads to welfare being maximized under bilateral collaboration when there are a few firms in the market and under non-cooperation in markets with many firms; full cooperation is never social welfare maximizing. Investigating the issue of endogenous network formation, we find that bilateral cooperation increases (lowers) the profits of more (less) connected firms. However, this does not always lead to a denser stable network of R&D collaboration under bilateral cooperation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baker, George P. & Gibbons, Robert & Murphy, Kevin J., 2008.
"Strategic alliances: Bridges between "islands of conscious power","
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 146-163, June.
- George P. Baker & Robert Gibbons & Kevin J. Murphy, 2008. "Strategic alliances: Bridges between "islands of conscious power"," NBER Chapters, in: Organizational Innovation and Firm Performance, pages 146-163 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2004.
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
184, Econometric Society.
- De Bondt, Raymond & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 1991. "Strategic investment with spillovers," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 345-366, October.
- Taiji Furusawa & Hideo Konishi, 2002.
"Free Trade Networks,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
548, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 08 Sep 2003.
- Alexander Konovalov & Zsolt Sándor, 2010. "On price equilibrium with multi-product firms," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 271-292, August.
- Stefano Colombo, 2011.
"Pricing Policy and Partial Collusion,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 325-349, December.
- Stefano Colombo, 2009. "Pricing Policy and Partial Collusion," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0090, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988.
"Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-37, December.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, . "Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers," CORE Discussion Papers RP -823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bloch, Francis & Jackson, Matthew, 2004.
"The Formation of Networks with Transfers among Players,"
1194, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Bloch, Francis & Jackson, Matthew O., 2007. "The formation of networks with transfers among players," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 83-110, March.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Francis Bloch, 2004. "The Formation of Networks with Transfers among Players," Working Papers 2004.80, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Björnerstedt, Jonas & Stennek, Johan, 2001.
CEPR Discussion Papers
2864, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco J. van der Leij & Jos� Luis Moraga-Gonzalez, 2006.
"Economics: An Emerging Small World,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(2), pages 403-432, April.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & José Luis Moraga-Gonzàlez, 2004. "Economics: An Emerging Small World?," Working Papers 2004.84, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & José Luis Moraga Gonzales, 2004. "Economics: An Emerging Small World?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1287, CESifo Group Munich.
- Suetens, Sigrid, 2008.
"Does R&D cooperation facilitate price collusion? An experiment,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 66(3-4), pages 822-836, June.
- Suetens, S., 2003. "Does R&D Cooperation Facilitate Price Collusion? An Experiment," Discussion Paper 2003-99, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Gandal, Neil, 1994.
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 141-154, June.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1995.
"Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1243, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 1997. "Public Policy towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 642-62, September.
- D Leahy & J.P. Neary, 1995. "Public Policy Towards R&D in Oligopolistic Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0270, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Suetens, Sigrid, 2005. "Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in experimental duopoly markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 63-82, February.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Tomas Rodriguez-Barraquer & Xu Tan, 2012. "Social Capital and Social Quilts: Network Patterns of Favor Exchange," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(5), pages 1857-97, August.
- Deroian, Frederic & Gannon, Frederic, 2006.
"Quality-improving alliances in differentiated oligopoly,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 629-637, May.
- Frédéric Deroian & Frédéric Gannon, 2006. "Quality-improving alliances in differentiated oligopoly," Post-Print halshs-00084891, HAL.
- Brod, Andrew & Shivakumar, Ram, 1999. "Advantageous Semi-collusion," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 221-30, June.
- Steen, Frode & S�rgard, Lars, 2010. "Semicollusion," Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics, now publishers, vol. 5(3), pages 153-228, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunwpe:0583. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.