Nonlinear exchange rate pass-through in timber products: the case of oriented strand board in Canada and the United States
We assess exchange rate pass–through (ERPT) for U.S. and Canadian prices for oriented strand board (OSB), a wood panel product used extensively in U.S. residential construction. Because of its prominence in construction and international trade, OSB markets are likely sensitive to general economic conditions. In keeping with recent research (e.g., Al-Abri and Goodwin, 2009; Larue et al., 2010), we examine regime–specific ERPT effects; we use a smooth transition vector error correction model. We also build on work by Nogueira, Jr. and Leon-Ledesma (2011) and Chew et al. (2011) in considering ERPT asymmetries associated with a measure of general macroeconomic activity. Our results indicate that during expansionary periods ERPT is modest, at least initially, but during the recent financial crises ERPT effects were quite large.
|Date of creation:||22 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matei Demetrescu, 2010. "On the Dickey–Fuller test with White standard errors," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Paul Cashin & Hong Liang & C. John McDermott, 2000.
"How Persistent Are Shocks to World Commodity Prices?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 2.
- Hong Liang & C. John McDermott & Paul Cashin, 1999. "How Persistent Are Shocks to World Commodity Prices?," IMF Working Papers 99/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Eitrheim, Oyvind & Terasvirta, Timo, 1996.
"Testing the adequacy of smooth transition autoregressive models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 59-75, September.
- Eitrheim, Øyvind & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1995. "Testing the Adequacy of Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 56, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Reginaldo P. Nogueira, Jr. & Miguel A. León-Ledesma, 2011. "Does exchange rate pass-through respond to measures of macroeconomic instability?," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 167-180, May.
- Bruno Larue & Jean-Philippe Gervais & Yannick Rancourt, 2010. "Exchange rate pass-through, menu costs and threshold cointegration," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 171-192, February.
- Al-Abri, Almukhtar S. & Goodwin, Barry K., 2009. "Re-examining the exchange rate pass-through into import prices using non-linear estimation techniques: Threshold cointegration," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 142-161, January.
- Guneratne Banda Wickremasinghe & Param Silvapulle, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Manufactured Import Prices: The Case of Japan," International Trade 0406006, EconWPA.
- Bussière, Matthieu, 2007.
"Exchange rate pass-through to trade prices: the role of non-linearities and asymmetries,"
Working Paper Series
0822, European Central Bank.
- Matthieu Bussiere, 2013. "Exchange Rate Pass-through to Trade Prices: The Role of Nonlinearities and Asymmetries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 75(5), pages 731-758, October.
- Skalin, Joakim & Ter svirta, Timo, 2002.
"Modeling Asymmetries And Moving Equilibria In Unemployment Rates,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 202-241, April.
- Skalin, Joakim & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1998. "Modelling asymmetries and moving equilibria in unemployment rates," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 262, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 05 Oct 1998.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Maximo Camacho, 2004. "Vector smooth transition regression models for US GDP and the composite index of leading indicators," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(3), pages 173-196.
- Cathy L. Jabara & Nancy E. Schwartz, 1987. "Flexible Exchange Rates and Commodity Price Changes: The Case of Japan," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 69(3), pages 580-590.
- Anderson, Heather M. & Vahid, Farshid, 1998. "Testing multiple equation systems for common nonlinear components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 1-36, May.
- Eiji Fuji & Jeannine Bailliu, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2004
135, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jeannine Bailliu & Eiji Fujii, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation," Staff Working Papers 04-21, Bank of Canada.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Matthew T. Holt & Jeffrey P. Prestemon, 2011. "North American Oriented Strand Board Markets, Arbitrage Activity, and Market Price Dynamics: A Smooth Transition Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(4), pages 993-1014.
- Tapiwa d. Karoro & Meshach j. Aziakpono & Nicolette Cattaneo, 2009.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through To Import Prices In South Africa: Is There Asymmetry?,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 77(3), pages 380-398, 09.
- T D Karoro & M J Aziakpono & N Cattaneo, 2008. "Exchange rate pass-through to import prices in South Africa: Is there asymmetry?," Working Papers 79, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Terasvirta, T & Anderson, H M, 1992. "Characterizing Nonlinearities in Business Cycles Using Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S119-36, Suppl. De.
- Philippe J. Deschamps, 2008.
"Comparing smooth transition and Markov switching autoregressive models of US unemployment,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4), pages 435-462.
- Deschamps, Philippe J., 2007. "Comparing smooth transition and Markov switching autoregressive models of US Unemployment," DQE Working Papers 7, Department of Quantitative Economics, University of Freiburg/Fribourg Switzerland, revised 04 Jun 2008.
- Péguin-Feissolle, Anne & Strikholm, Birgit & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007.
"Testing the Granger noncausality hypothesis in stationary nonlinear models of unknown functional form,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
672, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Jan 2012.
- Anne Péguin-Feissolle & Birgit Strikholm & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008. "Testing the Granger noncausality hypothesis in stationary nonlinear models of unknown functional form," CREATES Research Papers 2008-19, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Marazzi, Mario & Sheets, Nathan, 2007. "Declining exchange rate pass-through to U.S. import prices: The potential role of global factors," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 924-947, October.
- Patricia S. Pollard & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2004. "Size matters: asymmetric exchange rate pass-through at the industry level," Working Papers 2003-029, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40834. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.