Nonlinear mechanism of the exchange rate pass-through: Does business cycle matter?
This paper examines the presence of nonlinear mechanism in the exchange rate pass-through (ERPT) to CPI inflation for 12 euro area (EA) countries. Using logistic smooth transition models, we explore the existence of nonlinearity with respect to economic activity along the business cycle. Our results reveal that pass-through depends positively on economic activity, that is, when real GDP is growing above some threshold, the extent of ERPT becomes higher.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mototsugu Shintani & Akiko Terada-Hagiwara & Tomoyoshi Yabu, 2012.
"Exchange rate pass-through and inflation: a nonlinear time series analysis,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
12-00008, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Shintani, Mototsugu & Terada-Hagiwara, Akiko & Yabu, Tomoyoshi, 2013. "Exchange rate pass-through and inflation: A nonlinear time series analysis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 512-527.
- Mototsugu Shintani & Akiko Terada-Hagiwara & Tomoyoshi Yabu, 2009. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Inflation: A Nonlinear Time Series Analysis," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0920, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Eiji Fuji & Jeannine Bailliu, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2004
135, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jeannine Bailliu & Eiji Fujii, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and the Inflation Environment in Industrialized Countries: An Empirical Investigation," Staff Working Papers 04-21, Bank of Canada.
- de Bandt, Olivier & Banerjee, Anindya & Kozluk, Tomasz, 2007.
"Measuring Long-Run Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2007-32, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Kozluk, Tomasz & Banerjee, Anindya & de Bandt, Olivier, 2008. "Measuring Long-Run Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 2, pages 1-36.
- Arnildo da Silva Correa & André Minella, 2006.
"Nonlinear Mechanisms of the Exchange Rate Pass-Through: a Phillips curve model with threshold for Brazil,"
Working Papers Series
122, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Correa, Arnildo da Silva & Minella, André, 2010. "Nonlinear Mechanisms of the Exchange Rate Pass-Through: A Phillips Curve Model with Threshold for Brazil," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 64(3), June.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Sérgio Ribeiro da Costa Werlang, 2000.
"The Pass-through from Depreciation to Inflation: A Panel Study,"
Working Papers Series
5, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Sergio R.C. Werlang, 2000. "The pass-through from depreciation to inflation : a panel study," Textos para discussão 423, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Eitrheim, Oyvind & Terasvirta, Timo, 1996.
"Testing the adequacy of smooth transition autoregressive models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 59-75, September.
- Eitrheim, Øyvind & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1995. "Testing the Adequacy of Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 56, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Taylor, John B., 2000. "Low inflation, pass-through, and the pricing power of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1389-1408, June.
- van Dijk, Dick & Teräsvirta, Timo & Franses, Philip Hans, 2000.
"Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models - A Survey of Recent Developments,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
380, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 17 Jan 2001.
- Dick van Dijk & Timo Terasvirta & Philip Hans Franses, 2002. "Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models — A Survey Of Recent Developments," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-47.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Terasvirta, T. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2000. "Smooth transition autoregressive models - A survey of recent developments," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2000-23/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Reginaldo P. Nogueira Junior & Miguel Leon-Ledesma, 2008. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through Into Inflation: The Role of Asymmetries and NonLinearities," Studies in Economics 0801, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Mario Marazzi & Nathan Sheets & Robert J. Vigfusson & Jon Faust & Joseph E. Gagnon & Jaime R. Marquez & Robert F. Martin & Trevor A. Reeve & John H. Rogers, 2005. "Exchange rate pass-through to U.S. import prices: some new evidence," International Finance Discussion Papers 833, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Patricia S. Pollard & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2004. "Size matters: asymmetric exchange rate pass-through at the industry level," Working Papers 2003-029, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Valerie Herzberg & George Kapetanios & Simon Price, 2003. "Import prices and exchange rate pass-through: theory and evidence from the United Kingdom," Bank of England working papers 182, Bank of England.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41179. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.