Regional heterogeneity and firms’ innovation: the role of regional factors in industrial R&D in India
This study makes an early attempt to estimate the magnitude and intensity of manufacturing firms’ R&D by Indian states during the period 1991‒2008 and analyses the role of regional factors on firm-level R&D activities. As there is little research on state-wise R&D performance of firms in India, this study serves an important contribution to the academic and policy realm. It has brought out the fact the total manufacturing R&D investment in India is unevenly distributed regionally with a few states accounting for disproportionate share of it. Regional heterogeneity or inter-state disparities in R&D has increased between the 1990s and the first decade of the twenty-first century. In view of this persistent regional heterogeneity in R&D, the study has developed and estimated an empirical model for a sample of 4545 Indian manufacturing firms with R&D facilities located in single state and that explicitly includes regional factors as probable factors affecting R&D. The three-step Censored Quantitle Regression results confirm that regional factors play an important role in shaping the R&D intensity of the sample of firms. This led us to some useful policy suggestions for regional governments to promote local firms’ R&D activities.
|Date of creation:||12 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefano Usai, 2008. "The Geography of Inventive Activities in OECD Regions," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2008/3, OECD Publishing.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- SHIMIZUTANI Satoshi & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007.
"What Determines Overseas R&D Activities? The Case of Japanese Multinational Firms,"
07010, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Shimizutani, Satoshi & Todo, Yasuyuki, 2008. "What determines overseas R&D activities? The case of Japanese multinational firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 530-544, April.
- Choi, E. Kwan & Harrigan, James, 2003. "Handbook of International Trade," Staff General Research Papers 11375, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hagedoorn, John, 1996. "Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Schumpeter Revisited," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 883-96.
- Chiara DEL BO & Massimo FLORIO & Giancarlo MANZI, 2009.
"Regional infrastructure and convergence: growth implications in a spatial framework,"
Departmental Working Papers
2009-34, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Chiara Del Bo & Massimo Florio & Giancarlo Manzi, 2010. "Regional Infrastructure and Convergence: Growth Implications in a Spatial Framework," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 475-493, September.
- Hong H. & Chernozhukov V., 2002. "Three-Step Censored Quantile Regression and Extramarital Affairs," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 872-882, September.
- Achim Schmillen & Joachim Möller, 2010.
"Determinants of Lifetime Unemployment. A Micro Data Analysis with Censored Quantile Regressions,"
090, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Achim Schmillen & Joachim Möller, 2009. "Determinants of Lifetime Unemployment - A Micro Data Analysis with Censored Quantile Regressions," Working Papers 275, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Schmillen, Achim & Möller, Joachim, 2010. "Determinants of lifetime unemployment : a micro data analysis with censored quantile regressions," IAB Discussion Paper 201003, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Schmillen, Achim & Möller, Joachim, 2010. "Determinants of Lifetime Unemployment: A Micro Data Analysis with Censored Quantile Regressions," IZA Discussion Papers 4751, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bengt-�ke Lundvall, 2007. "National Innovation Systems—Analytical Concept and Development Tool," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 95-119.
- Tsai, Kuen-Hung & Wang, Jiann-Chyuan, 2008. "External technology acquisition and firm performance: A longitudinal study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 91-112, January.
- Breschi, Stefano & Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 2000. "Technological Regimes and Schumpeterian Patterns of Innovation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(463), pages 388-410, April.
- James Simmie & Ron Martin, 2009. "The economic resilience of regions: towards an evolutionary approach," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 3(1), pages 27-43.
- Malerba, Franco, 2002. "Sectoral systems of innovation and production," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 247-264, February.
- Wesley M. Cohen & Richard R. Nelson & John P. Walsh, 2002. "Links and Impacts: The Influence of Public Research on Industrial R&D," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Mathieu, Azèle & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2008.
"A Note on The Drivers of R&D Intensity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6684, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004.
"Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Braconier, Henrik, 2000. "Do Higher per Capita Incomes Lead to More R&D Expenditure?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 244-57, October.
- Cheung Kui-yin & Lin, Ping, 2004. "Spillover effects of FDI on innovation in China: Evidence from the provincial data," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 25-44.
- Mark Ottoni Wilhelm, 2008. "Practical Considerations for Choosing Between Tobit and SCLS or CLAD Estimators for Censored Regression Models with an Application to Charitable Giving," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(4), pages 559-582, 08.
- Martin Falk, 2006. "What drives business Research and Development (R&D) intensity across Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(5), pages 533-547.
- Amiti, Mary, 1998. "New Trade Theories and Industrial Location in the EU: A Survey of Evidence," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 45-53, Summer.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Mercedes Gumbau-Albert & Joaquin Maudos, 2009.
"Patents, technological inputs and spillovers among regions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(12), pages 1473-1486.
- Mercedes Gumbau Albert & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 2006. "Patents, Technological Inputs And Spillovers Among Regions," Working Papers. Serie EC 2006-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Gumbau-Albert, Mercedes & Maudos, Joaquin, 2009. "Patents, technological inputs and spillovers among regions," MPRA Paper 15260, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kenneth Y. Chay & James L. Powell, 2001. "Semiparametric Censored Regression Models," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 29-42, Fall.
- Braga, Helson & Willmore, Larry, 1991. "Technological Imports and Technological Effort: An Analysis of Their Determinants in Brazilian Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 421-32, June.
- Sharon Belenzon & Tomer Berkovitz, 2010.
"Innovation in Business Groups,"
INFORMS, vol. 56(3), pages 519-535, March.
- Geroski, P A, 1990. "Innovation, Technological Opportunity, and Market Structure," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(3), pages 586-602, July.
- Giammario Impullitti & Omar Licandro, 2013.
"Trade, firm selection, and innovation: the competition channel,"
13/04, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Giammario Impullitti & Omar Licandro, 2010. "Trade, Firm selection, and innovation: the competition channel," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 841.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Giammario Impullitti & Omar Licandro, 2010. "Trade, Firm Selection, and Innovation: the Competition Channel," Working Papers 495, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jože P. Damijan & Črt Kostevc & Sašo Polanec, 2010. "From Innovation to Exporting or Vice Versa?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 374-398, 03.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2003. "Liberalization, Firm Size and R&D performance: A Firm Level Study of Indian Pharmaceutical Industry," MPRA Paper 17079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- P Cooke & M G Uranga & G Etxebarria, 1998. "Regional systems of innovation: an evolutionary perspective," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(9), pages 1563-1584, September.
- Rajah Rasiah, 2007. "Export Orientation and Technological Intensities in Auto Parts Firms in East and Southeast Asia: Does Ownership Matter?," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 6(2), pages 55-76, May.
- John Cantwell & Lucia Piscitello, 2005. "Recent Location of Foreign-owned Research and Development Activities by Large Multinational Corporations in the European Regions: The Role of Spillovers and Externalities," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 1-16.
- Meng-Chun Liu & Shin-Horng Chen, 2003. "International R&D Deployment and Locational Advantage: A Case Study of Taiwan," NBER Working Papers 10169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1996. "Schumpeterian patterns of innovation are technology-specific," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 451-478, May.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, .
"Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development,"
0704, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID).
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2007. "Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development," MPRA Paper 12360, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Birdsall, Nancy & Rhee, Changyong, 1993. "Does results and development (R&D) contribute to economic growth in developing countries?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1221, The World Bank.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fishman, Arthur & Rob, Rafael, 1999. "The Size of Firms and R&D Investment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(4), pages 915-31, November.
- Cantwell, John & Piscitello, Lucia, 2002. "The location of technological activities of MNCs in European regions: The role of spillovers and local competencies," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 69-96.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash Pradhan & Singh, Neelam, 2008.
"Outward FDI and Knowledge Flows: A Study of the Indian Automotive Sector,"
12325, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan & Neelam Singh, 2009. "Outward FDI and Knowledge Flows: A Study of the Indian Automotive Sector," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 1(1), pages 156-187, June.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Singh, Neelam, 2008. "Outward FDI and Knowledge Flows: A Study of the Indian Automotive Sector," MPRA Paper 12332, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Myriam Mariani, 2002.
"Next to Production or to Technological Clusters? The Economics and Management of R&D Location,"
Journal of Management and Governance,
Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 131-152, May.
- Mariani,Myriam, 1999. "Next to Production or to Technological Clusters? The Economics and Management of R&D Location," Research Memorandum 027, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1983. "Determinants of R&D in an LDC : The Indian engineering industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 379-383.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August.
- Kumar, Nagesh & Aggarwal, Aradhna, 2005. "Liberalization, outward orientation and in-house R&D activity of multinational and local firms: A quantitative exploration for Indian manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 441-460, May.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2010. "R&D Strategy of Small and Medium Enterprises in India," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2010_14, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Saibal Ghosh, 2009. "R&D in Indian manufacturing enterprises: what shapes it?," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 337-352.
- Ishtiaq P. Mahmood & Will Mitchell, 2004. "Two Faces: Effects of Business Groups on Innovation in Emerging Economies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(10), pages 1348-1365, October.
- Gustavsen, Geir Waehler & Jolliffe, Dean & Rickertsen, Kyrre, 2008. "Censored Quantile Regression and Purchases of Ice Cream," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6534, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wagner, Joachim, 2005.
"Exports and Productivity : A survey of the evidence from firm level data,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
319, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2007. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence from Firm-level Data," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 60-82, 01.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence fro Firm Level Data," International Trade 0504005, EconWPA.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A survey of the evidence from firm level data," Working Paper Series in Economics 4, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Powell, James L., 1986. "Censored regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 143-155, June.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1995. "Schumpeterian Patterns of Innovation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 47-65, February.
- Reddy, Prasada, 1997. "New trends in globalization of corporate R&D and implications for innovation capability in host countries: A survey from India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(11), pages 1821-1837, November.
- Demurger, Sylvie, 2001. "Infrastructure Development and Economic Growth: An Explanation for Regional Disparities in China?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-117, March.
- Robert M. Salomon & J. Myles Shaver, 2005. "Learning by Exporting: New Insights from Examining Firm Innovation," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 431-460, 06.
- David Doloreux & Saeed Parto, 2004. "Regional Innovation Systems: Current Discourse and Challenges for Future Research," ERSA conference papers ersa04p56, European Regional Science Association.
- Liu, Xiaohui & Buck, Trevor, 2007. "Innovation performance and channels for international technology spillovers: Evidence from Chinese high-tech industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 355-366, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28096. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.