What determines overseas R&D activities? The case of Japanese multinational firms
This paper explores what factors determine the nature, extent, and location of Japanese multinationals' R&D activities abroad. Taking advantage of a rich micro-level dataset from the survey on Japanese overseas subsidiaries, the study distinguishes between two types of overseas R&D: basic/applied research and development/design. We find several differences between the determinants of those R&D activities. These differences confirm the view that basic/applied research of overseas subsidiaries aims at the exploitation of foreign advanced knowledge, whereas their development/design activities are mostly influenced by the market size of the host country. Our results provide a convincing and comprehensive explanation of the geographical distribution of overseas R&D by Japanese MNEs.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan, 1996.
"R&D Spillovers and Global Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1467, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Granstrand, Ove, 1999. "Internationalization of corporate R&D: a study of Japanese and Swedish corporations1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 275-302, March.
- Coe, D.T. & Helpman, E., 1993.
"International R&D Spillovers,"
5-93, Tel Aviv.
- David J. Teece, 2003.
"Technology Transfer by Multinational Firms: The Resource Cost of Transferring Technological Know-How,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Essays In Technology Management And Policy Selected Papers of David J Teece, chapter 10, pages 262-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- David J. Teece, 2008. "Technology Transfer By Multinational Firms: The Resource Cost Of Transferring Technological Know-How," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: The Transfer And Licensing Of Know-How And Intellectual Property Understanding the Multinational Enterprise in the Modern World, chapter 1, pages 1-22 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Teece, David J, 1977. "Technology Transfer by Multinational Firms: The Resource Cost of Transferring Technological Know-how," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(346), pages 242-261, June.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1993. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-598.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," NBER Working Papers 3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981.
"Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model,"
292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984. "Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-1240, September.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno v., 1998.
"International R&D spillovers: A comment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(8), pages 1483-1491, September.
- Bas, Christian Le & Sierra, Christophe, 2002. "'Location versus home country advantages' in R&D activities: some further results on multinationals' locational strategies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 589-609, May.
- Pearce, Robert D., 1999. "Decentralised R&D and strategic competitiveness: globalised approaches to generation and use of technology in multinational enterprises (MNEs)," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 157-178, March.
- Fors, Gunnar, 1997. "Utilization of R&D Results in the Home and Foreign Plants of Multinationals," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 341-358, September.
- TODO Yasuyuki & SHIMIZUTANI Satoshi, 2007. "Overseas R&D Activities and Home Productivity Growth: Evidence from Japanese Firm-Level Data," Discussion papers 07008, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Pearce, Robert & Papanastassiou, Marina, 1999. "Overseas R&D and the strategic evolution of MNEs: evidence from laboratories in the UK," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 23-41, January.
- Eaton, J. & Kortum, S., 1995.
"Trade in Ideas: Patenting and Productivity onn the OECD,"
34, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Kortum, Samuel, 1996. "Trade in ideas Patenting and productivity in the OECD," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 251-278, May.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 1995. "Trade in Ideas: Patenting and Productivity in the OECD," NBER Working Papers 5049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuel Kortum & Jonathan Eaton, 1995. "Trade in ideas: patenting and productivity in the OECD," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rene Belderbos & Kyoji Fukao & Hyeog Ug Kwon, 2006. "Intellectual Property Rights Protection and the Location of Research and Development Activities by Multinational Firms," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d06-167, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Yasuyuki Todo & Satoshi Shimizutani, 2005. "Overseas R&D Activities by Multinational Enterprises: Evidence from Japanese Firm-Level Data," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d05-91, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kuemmerle, Walter, 1999. "Foreign direct investment in industrial research in the pharmaceutical and electronics industries--results from a survey of multinational firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 179-193, March.
- Iwasa, Tomoko & Odagiri, Hiroyuki, 2004. "Overseas R&D, knowledge sourcing, and patenting: an empirical study of Japanese R&D investment in the US," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 807-828, July.
- World Bank, 2005. "World Development Indicators 2005," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 12426, February.
- Patel, Pari & Vega, Modesto, 1999. "Patterns of internationalisation of corporate technology: location vs. home country advantages1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 145-155, March.
- repec:wbk:wbpubs:12425 is not listed on IDEAS
- Odagiri, Hiroyuki & Yasuda, Hideto, 1996. "The determinants of overseas R&D by Japanese firms: an empirical study at the industry and company levels," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1059-1079, October.
- Belderbos, Rene, 2001. "Overseas innovations by Japanese firms: an analysis of patent and subsidiary data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 313-332, February.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Christopher J. Ellis & Dietrich Fausten, 2003.
"Industrial groupings and foreign direct investment,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2003-19, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Mar 2003.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Ellis, Christopher J. & Fausten, Dietrich, 2005. "Industrial groupings and foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 75-91, January.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 2001. "Determinants of location of overseas R&D activity of multinational enterprises: the case of US and Japanese corporations1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 159-174, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:37:y:2008:i:3:p:530-544. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.