What determines overseas R&D activities? The case of Japanese multinational firms
This paper explores what factors determine the nature, extent, and location of Japanese multinationals' R&D activities abroad. Taking advantage of a rich micro-level dataset from the survey on Japanese overseas subsidiaries, the study distinguishes between two types of overseas R&D: basic/applied research and development/design. We find several differences between the determinants of those R&D activities. These differences confirm the view that basic/applied research of overseas subsidiaries aims at the exploitation of foreign advanced knowledge, whereas their development/design activities are mostly influenced by the market size of the host country. Our results provide a convincing and comprehensive explanation of the geographical distribution of overseas R&D by Japanese MNEs.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Christopher J. Ellis & Dietrich Fausten, 2003.
"Industrial groupings and foreign direct investment,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2003-19, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Mar 2003.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Ellis, Christopher J. & Fausten, Dietrich, 2005. "Industrial groupings and foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 75-91, January.
- Granstrand, Ove, 1999. "Internationalization of corporate R&D: a study of Japanese and Swedish corporations1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 275-302, March.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993.
"International R&D Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Odagiri, Hiroyuki & Yasuda, Hideto, 1996. "The determinants of overseas R&D by Japanese firms: an empirical study at the industry and company levels," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1059-1079, October.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan, 1996.
"R&D Spillovers and Global Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1467, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Elhanan Helpman & David T. Coe, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and Global Growth," IMF Working Papers 96/47, International Monetary Fund.
- Bayoumi, T. & Coe, D.T. & Helpman, E., 1996. "R&D Spillovers and Global Growth," Papers 14-96, Tel Aviv.
- Tamim Bayoumi & David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and Global Growth," NBER Working Papers 5628, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984.
"Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-40, September.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981. "Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model," Working papers 292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Rene Belderbos & Kyoji Fukao & Hyeog Ug Kwon, 2006. "Intellectual Property Rights Protection and the Location of Research and Development Activities by Multinational Firms," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d06-167, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Samuel S. Kortum & Jonathan Eaton, 1995.
"Trade in ideas: patenting and productivity in the OECD,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Eaton, Jonathan & Kortum, Samuel, 1996. "Trade in ideas Patenting and productivity in the OECD," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 251-278, May.
- Eaton, J. & Kortum, S., 1995. "Trade in Ideas: Patenting and Productivity onn the OECD," Papers 34, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 1995. "Trade in Ideas: Patenting and Productivity in the OECD," NBER Working Papers 5049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Belderbos, Rene, 2001. "Overseas innovations by Japanese firms: an analysis of patent and subsidiary data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 313-332, February.
- Bas, Christian Le & Sierra, Christophe, 2002. "'Location versus home country advantages' in R&D activities: some further results on multinationals' locational strategies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 589-609, May.
- Teece, David J, 1977. "Technology Transfer by Multinational Firms: The Resource Cost of Transferring Technological Know-how," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(346), pages 242-61, June.
- Yasuyuki Todo & Satoshi Shimizutani, 2005. "Overseas R&D Activities by Multinational Enterprises: Evidence from Japanese Firm-Level Data," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d05-91, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
NBER Working Papers
3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel & Henderson, Rebecca, 1993. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-98, August.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," Papers 14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno v., 1998.
"International R&D spillovers: A comment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(8), pages 1483-1491, September.
- Iwasa, Tomoko & Odagiri, Hiroyuki, 2004. "Overseas R&D, knowledge sourcing, and patenting: an empirical study of Japanese R&D investment in the US," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 807-828, July.
- Pearce, Robert D., 1999. "Decentralised R&D and strategic competitiveness: globalised approaches to generation and use of technology in multinational enterprises (MNEs)," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 157-178, March.
- Patel, Pari & Vega, Modesto, 1999. "Patterns of internationalisation of corporate technology: location vs. home country advantages1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 145-155, March.
- Kuemmerle, Walter, 1999. "Foreign direct investment in industrial research in the pharmaceutical and electronics industries--results from a survey of multinational firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 179-193, March.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 2001. "Determinants of location of overseas R&D activity of multinational enterprises: the case of US and Japanese corporations1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 159-174, January.
- Fors, Gunnar, 1997. "Utilization of R&D Results in the Home and Foreign Plants of Multinationals," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 341-58, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:37:y:2008:i:3:p:530-544. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.