Industrial groupings and foreign direct investment
We explore worldwide foreign direct investment location decisions by Japanese manufacturing firms from 1985 through 1991. Our conditional logit estimates provide evidence that firms’ location decisions are affected by membership in either vertical or horizontal keiretsu. Consistent with previous studies that stress agglomeration effects on firms’ location decisions, we find that the stock of investment in a region by a firm’s vertical keiretsu partners increases the probability of location. Further, we find that the recent flow of investment into a region by a firm’s horizontal keiretsu partners increases the probability of investment to the region, providing evidence of networking effects.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:||01 Mar 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (541) 346-8845
Fax: (541) 346-1243
Web page: http://economics.uoregon.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keith Head & John Ries, 1998. "Immigration and Trade Creation: Econometric Evidence from Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 47-62, February.
- Greif, Avner, 1993. "Contract Enforceability and Economic Institutions in Early Trade: the Maghribi Traders' Coalition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 525-48, June.
- Belderbos,R. & Carree,M., 2000.
"The Location of Japanese Investments in China: Agglomeration Effects, Keiretsu, and Firm Heterogeneity,"
002, Maastricht University, Netherlands Institute of Business Organization and Strategy Research (NIBOR).
- Belderbos, Rene & Carree, Martin, 2002. "The Location of Japanese Investments in China: Agglomeration Effects, Keiretsu, and Firm Heterogeneity," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 194-211, June.
- Belderbos, Rene & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 1996. "Japanese Firms and the Decision to Invest Abroad: Business Groups and Regional Core Networks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 214-20, May.
- Keith Head & John Ries & Deborah Swenson, 1994.
"Agglomeration Benefits and Location Choice: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturing Investment in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
4767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John & Swenson, Deborah, 1995. "Agglomeration benefits and location choice: Evidence from Japanese manufacturing investments in the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 223-247, May.
- James E. Rauch & Vitor Trindade, 1999.
"Ethnic Chinese Networks in International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
7189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- René Belderbos, 1997. "Antidumping and tariff Jumping: Japanese firms’ DFI in the European union and the United States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(3), pages 419-457, September.
- Blonigen, Bruce A., 2002.
"Tariff-jumping antidumping duties,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 31-49, June.
- Yoshiro Miwa & J. Mark Ramseyer, 2001.
"The Fable of the Keiretsu,"
CIRJE-F-109, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Miwa, Yoshiro & Ramseyer, J. Mark, 2006. "The Fable of the Keiretsu," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 0, number 9780226532707.
- Yoshiro Miwa & J. Mark Ramseyer, 2002. "The Fable of the Keiretsu," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 169-224, 06.
- James E. Rauch, 1996.
"Networks versus Markets in International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
5617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gould, David M, 1994. "Immigrant Links to the Home Country: Empirical Implications for U.S. Bilateral Trade Flows," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 302-16, May.
- Kogut, Bruce & Chang, Sea Jin, 1991. "Technological Capabilities and Japanese Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 401-13, August.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2002. "Offshore production and skill upgrading by Japanese manufacturing firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 81-105, October.
- Kimura, Yui & Pugel, Thomas A., 1995. "Keiretsu and Japanese direct investment in US manufacturing," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 481-503, November.
- James E. Rauch, 2001. "Business and Social Networks in International Trade," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1177-1203, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ore:uoecwp:2003-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bill Harbaugh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.