Outward FDI and Knowledge Flows: A Study of the Indian Automotive Sector
In recent years developing countries have emerged as significant participants in the OFDI (outward foreign direct investment), seeking strategic assets. Such asset exploiting-cum-augmenting OFDI involves potential two-way cross-border knowledge flows. This study examines several dimensions of OFDI in the Indian automotive industry – currently internationalizing rapidly in terms of OFDI. This study undertakes a quantitative analysis of the influence of OFDI activities on the in-house (domestic) R&D performance of the Indian automotive firms during 1988-2008, and finds expected favourable impact on the R&D intensity. The study concludes with suggestions to promote OFDI, particularly the strategic asset enhancing OFDI.(Please Puchase For Further Reading)
Volume (Year): 1 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://ijie.um.edu.my
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Abraham, Vinoj, 2004. "Overseas Mergers and Acquisitions by Indian Enterprises: Patterns and Motivations," MPRA Paper 17076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lee Branstetter, 2000. "Is Foreign Direct Investment a Channel of Knowledge Spillovers? Evidence from Japan's FDI in the United States," NBER Working Papers 8015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poon, Jessie P.H. & MacPherson, Alan, 2005. "Technology acquisition among Korean and Taiwanese firms in the United States," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 559-575, October.
- Steven Globerman, 1979. "Foreign Direct Investment and `Spillover' Efficiency Benefits in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Deng, Ping, 2007. "Investing for strategic resources and its rationale: The case of outward FDI from Chinese companies," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 71-81.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2005. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment from India: Recent Trends and Patterns," MPRA Paper 12358, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Transfer Technology Across Borders?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 490-497, August.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001. "Does foreign direct investment transfer technology across borders?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6221, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Henrik Braconier & Karolina Ekholm & Karen Knarvik, 2001. "In search of FDI-transmitted R&D spillovers: A study based on Swedish data," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(4), pages 644-665, December.
- Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2004.
"Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003. "Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," IZA Discussion Papers 944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1983. "Determinants of R&D in an LDC : The Indian engineering industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 379-383.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Persson, Hakan, 1983. "Foreign investment and spillover efficiency in an underdeveloped economy: Evidence from the Mexican manufacturing industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 493-501, June.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2004. "The determinants of outward foreign direct investment: a firm-level analysis of Indian manufacturing," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 619-639.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, .
"Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development,"
0704, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID).
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2007. "Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development," MPRA Paper 12360, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Badri Narayanan G., 2010.
"Determinants of Competitiveness of the Indian Auto Industry,"
- Badri Narayanan G. & Pankaj Vashisht, 2008. "Determinants of Competitiveness of the Indian Auto Industry," Microeconomics Working Papers 22234, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Okada, Aya, 2004. "Skills Development and Interfirm Learning Linkages under Globalization: Lessons from the Indian Automobile Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1265-1288, July.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Fishman, Arthur & Rob, Rafael, 1999. "The Size of Firms and R&D Investment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(4), pages 915-31, November.
- Kumar, Nagesh & Aggarwal, Aradhna, 2005. "Liberalization, outward orientation and in-house R&D activity of multinational and local firms: A quantitative exploration for Indian manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 441-460, May.
- Rui, Huaichuan & Yip, George S., 2008. "Foreign acquisitions by Chinese firms: A strategic intent perspective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 213-226, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umk:journl:v:1:y:2009:i:1:p:156-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Dr. Rajah Rasiah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.