Outward FDI and Knowledge Flows: A Study of the Indian Automotive Sector
In recent years developing countries have emerged as significant participants in the OFDI (outward foreign direct investment), seeking strategic assets. Such asset exploiting-cum-augmenting OFDI involves potential two-way cross-border knowledge flows. This study examines several dimensions of OFDI in the Indian automotive industry – currently internationalizing rapidly in terms of OFDI. This study undertakes a quantitative analysis of the influence of OFDI activities on the in-house (domestic) R&D performance of the Indian automotive firms during 1988-2008, and finds expected favourable impact on the R&D intensity. The study concludes with suggestions to promote OFDI, particularly the strategic asset enhancing OFDI.(Please Puchase For Further Reading)
Volume (Year): 1 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lembah Pantai, 50603 Kuala Lumpur|
Web page: http://ijie.um.edu.my
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Persson, Hakan, 1983. "Foreign investment and spillover efficiency in an underdeveloped economy: Evidence from the Mexican manufacturing industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 493-501, June.
- Lee Branstetter, 2000. "Is Foreign Direct Investment a Channel of Knowledge Spillovers? Evidence from Japan's FDI in the United States," NBER Working Papers 8015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Abraham, Vinoj, 2004. "Overseas Mergers and Acquisitions by Indian Enterprises: Patterns and Motivations," MPRA Paper 17076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Transfer Technology Across Borders?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 490-497, August.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001. "Does foreign direct investment transfer technology across borders?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6221, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Steven Globerman, 1979. "Foreign Direct Investment and `Spillover' Efficiency Benefits in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, .
"Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development,"
0704, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID).
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2007. "Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development," MPRA Paper 12360, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dunning,John H. & Hoesel,Roger,van & Narula,Rajneesh, 1996. "Explaining the 'new' wave of outward FDI from developing coountries : the case of Taiwan and Korea," Research Memorandum 009, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1983. "Determinants of R&D in an LDC : The Indian engineering industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 379-383.
- Badri Narayanan G. & Pankaj Vashisht, 2008.
"Determinants of Competitiveness of the Indian Auto Industry,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
22234, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Badri Narayanan G., 2010. "Determinants of Competitiveness of the Indian Auto Industry," Working Papers id:2713, eSocialSciences.
- Henrik Braconier & Karolina Ekholm & Karen Knarvik, 2001. "In search of FDI-transmitted R&D spillovers: A study based on Swedish data," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 137(4), pages 644-665, December.
- Deng, Ping, 2007. "Investing for strategic resources and its rationale: The case of outward FDI from Chinese companies," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 71-81.
- Okada, Aya, 2004. "Skills Development and Interfirm Learning Linkages under Globalization: Lessons from the Indian Automobile Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1265-1288, July.
- Fishman, Arthur & Rob, Rafael, 1999. "The Size of Firms and R&D Investment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(4), pages 915-31, November.
- Rui, Huaichuan & Yip, George S., 2008. "Foreign acquisitions by Chinese firms: A strategic intent perspective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 213-226, March.
- Poon, Jessie P.H. & MacPherson, Alan, 2005. "Technology acquisition among Korean and Taiwanese firms in the United States," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 559-575, October.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2004. "The determinants of outward foreign direct investment: a firm-level analysis of Indian manufacturing," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 619-639.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003.
"Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2004. "Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Kumar, Nagesh & Aggarwal, Aradhna, 2005. "Liberalization, outward orientation and in-house R&D activity of multinational and local firms: A quantitative exploration for Indian manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 441-460, May.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2005. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment from India: Recent Trends and Patterns," MPRA Paper 12358, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umk:journl:v:1:y:2009:i:1:p:156-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Dr. Rajah Rasiah)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.