Concerns of Food Security, Role of Gender, and Intrahousehold Dynamics in Pakistan
The available literature in Pakistan is generally lacking in a critical examination of the issues related to intrahousehold resource allocation. This black box is due largely to the lack of individual-level data on dietary intake, anthropometric measures, decision making, time allocation, etc. Such an examination of the intra-household dynamics would shed light on how resources are generated, controlled and distributed in a household and help in the effective design and implementation of suitable policies. This study identifies the data gaps and emphasises the immediate need for a research agenda focusing on the fuller understanding of the intra-household dynamics. Data needs are outlined and a conceptual framework of incorporating gender concerns in the analyses of intrahousehold resource allocation and household food security is presented. Suggestions are made to collect both quantitative as well as qualitative individual level data on various social, economic, demographic, and anthropometric variables. The data set thus generated would give a picture of the household resource base, household endowments, gender relations, and interand intra-household resource allocations that are necessary for the formulation and implementation of suitable and effective policies for benefiting the vulnerable groups.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1, June.
- Manser, Marilyn & Brown, Murray, 1980. "Marriage and Household Decision-Making: A Bargaining Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 31-44, February.
- Soofia Mumtaz & Anjum Fatima, 1992. "The Cultural Conception and Structural Perpetuation of Female Subordination: An Examination of Gender Relations among the Populations of the Chalt-Chaprote Community in the Nager Valley of Northern Pa," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 31(4), pages 621-635.
- Shahnaz Hamid, 1991. "Determinants of the Supply of Women in the Labour Market: A Micro Analysis," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 755-766.
- Haddad, Lawrence & Hoddinott, John & Alderman, Harold & DEC, 1994. "Intrahousehold resource allocation : an overview," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1255, The World Bank.
- Thomas, D., 1989.
"Intra-Household Resource Allocation: An Inferential Approach,"
586, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Duncan Thomas, 1990. "Intra-Household Resource Allocation: An Inferential Approach," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(4), pages 635-664.
- Haddad, Lawrence & Kanbur, Ravi, 1989.
"How serious is the neglect of intrahousehold inequality ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
296, The World Bank.
- Haddad, Lawrence & Kanbur, Ravi, 1990. "How Serious Is the Neglect of Intra-Household Inequality?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(402), pages 866-81, September.
- Haddad, L. & Kanbur, R., 1989. "How Serious Is The Neglectof Intra-Household Inequality?," Papers 450, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Hassan, Md. Nazmul, 1989.
"Productivity, Health and Inequality in the Intrahousehold Distribution of Food in Low-Income Countries,"
7480, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Pitt, Mark M & Rosenzweig, Mark R & Hassan, Md Nazmul, 1990. "Productivity, Health, and Inequality in the Intrahousehold Distribution of Food in Low-Income Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1139-56, December.
- Yasuyuki Sawada, 1997. "Human Capital Investments in Pakistan: Implications of Micro Evidence from Rural Households," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(4), pages 695-712.
- Alderman, Harold & Garcia, Marito, 1993. "Poverty, household food security, and nutrition in rural Pakistan:," Research reports 96, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jere R. Behrman & Anil B. Deolalikar, 1990. "The Intrahousehold Demand for Nutrients in Rural South India: Individual Estimates, Fixed Effects, and Permanent Income," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(4), pages 665-696.
- Nargis Sultana & Hina Nazli & Sohail J. Malik, 1994. "Determinants of Female Time Allocation in Selected Districts of Rural Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 33(4), pages 1141-1153.
- Behrman, Jere R., 1988. "Nutrition, health, birth order and seasonality : Intrahousehold allocation among children in rural India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 43-62, February.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
0042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Naushin Mahmood & Mir Annice Mahmood, 1995. "Gender Differences in Child Health-care Practices: Evidence from the Pakistan Demographic and Health Survey, 1990-91," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 34(4), pages 693-707.
- Behrman, Jere R & Pollak, Robert A & Taubman, Paul, 1982. "Parental Preferences and Provision for Progeny," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(1), pages 52-73, February.
- Apps, Patricia F. & Rees, Ray, 1988. "Taxation and the household," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 355-369, April.
- Rees, Ray, 1988. "Taxation and the Household," Munich Reprints in Economics 3411, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Becker, Gary S & Tomes, Nigel, 1979. "An Equilibrium Theory of the Distribution of Income and Intergenerational Mobility," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1153-89, December.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R & Schultz, T Paul, 1982. "Market Opportunities, Genetic Endowments, and Intrafamily Resource Distribution: Child Survival in Rural India," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(4), pages 803-15, September.
- Basu, Alaka Malwade, 1992. "The Status of Women and the Quality of Life among the Poor," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 249-67, September.
- M. Khan & Ismail Sirageldin, 1977. "Son preference and the demand for additional children in pakistan," Demography, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 481-495, November.
- Harold Alderman & Jere R. Behrman & David R. Ross & Richard Sabot, 1996. "Decomposing the Gender Gap in Cognitive Skills in a Poor Rural Economy," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 31(1), pages 229-254.
- M. Ghaffar Chaudhry & Zubeda Khan, 1987. "Female Labour Force Participation Rates in Rural Pakistan: Some Fundamental Explanations and Policy Implications," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 26(4), pages 687-698.
- Naushin Mahmood & Durr-E-Nayab, 1998. "Gender Dimensions of Demographic Change in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 37(4), pages 705-725.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:wpaper:1999:175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.