Pollution Abatement as a Source of Stabilisation and Long-Run Growth
In a two-period overlapping generations model with production, we consider the damaging impact of environmental degradation on health and, consequently, life expectancy. The government’s involvement on policies of environmental preservation proves crucial for both the economy’s short-term dynamics and its long-term prospects. Particularly, an active policy of pollution abatement emerges as an important engine of long-run economic growth. Furthermore, by eliminating the occurrence of limit cycles, pollution abatement is also a powerful source of stabilisation.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hirtle, Beverly, 2009.
"Credit derivatives and bank credit supply,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 125-150, April.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Qiao, Xue, 2005. "Public and Private Expenditures on Health in a Growth Model," Staff General Research Papers 12378, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shankha Chakraborty, 2002.
"Endogenous Lifetime and Economic Growth,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2002-03, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 26 Jan 2002.
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1994.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
NBER Working Papers
4634, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabio Mariani & Agustin Pérez-Barahona & Natacha Raffin, 2008.
"Life expectancy and the environment,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Fabio Mariani & Agustin Pérez-Barahona & Natacha Raffin, 2008. "Life expectancy and the environment," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne v08048, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Mariani, Fabio & Pérez-Barahona, Agustín & Raffin, Natacha, 2009. "Life Expectancy and the Environment," IZA Discussion Papers 4564, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fabio Mariani & AGUSTIN PÃ©rez-Barahona & Natacha Raffin, 2010. "Life expectancy and the environment," Working Papers 39456, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1996.
"Growing Through Cycles,"
40, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Theodore Palivos & Dimitrios Varvarigos, 2010.
"Education and growth: A simple model with complicated dynamics,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 6(4), pages 367-384.
- Theodore Palivos & Dimitrios Varvarigos, 2009. "Education and Growth: A Simple Model with Complicated Dynamics," Discussion Paper Series 2009_08, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Apr 2009.
- Seegmuller, Thomas & Verchere, Alban, 2004.
"Pollution as a source of endogenous fluctuations and periodic welfare inequality in OLG economies,"
Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 363-369, September.
- Thomas Seegmuller & Alban Verchere, 2002. "Pollution as a source of endogenous fluctuations and periodic welfare inequality in OLG economies," Working Papers of BETA 2002-18, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Blackburn, Keith & Cipriani, Giam Pietro, 2002. "A model of longevity, fertility and growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 187-204, February.
- Junxi Zhang, 1999. "Environmental sustainability, nonlinear dynamics and chaos," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 489-500.
- Hartman, Richard & Kwon, O-Sung, 2005. "Sustainable growth and the environmental Kuznets curve," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1701-1736, October.
- Stengos, T. & Millimet, D.L. & List, J.A., 2002.
"The Environmental Kuznets Curve: Real Progress or Misspecified Models?,"
2002-13, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Daniel L. Millimet & John A. List & Thanasis Stengos, 2003. "The Environmental Kuznets Curve: Real Progress or Misspecified Models?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1038-1047, November.
- Aslanidis, Nektarios & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2008. "Regime switching and the shape of the emission-income relationship," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 731-739, July.
- Perman, Roger & Stern, David I., 2003.
"Evidence from panel unit root and cointegration tests that the Environmental Kuznets Curve does not exist,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(3), September.
- Roger Perman & David I. Stern, 2003. "Evidence from panel unit root and cointegration tests that the Environmental Kuznets Curve does not exist," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 47(3), pages 325-347, 09.
- Arrow, Kenneth & Bolin, Bert & Costanza, Robert & Dasgupta, Partha & Folke, Carl & Holling, C. S. & Jansson, Bengt-Owe & Levin, Simon & Maler, Karl-Goran & Perrings, Charles & Pimentel, David, 1995.
"Economic growth, carrying capacity, and the environment,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 91-95, November.
- Arrow, Kenneth & Bolin, Bert & Costanza, Robert & Dasgupta, Partha & Folke, Carl & Holling, C.S. & Jansson, Bengt-Owe & Levin, Simon & Mäler, Karl-Göran & Perrings, Charles & Pimentel, David, 1996. "Economic growth, carrying capacity, and the environment," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 104-110, February.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1998. "Are There Limits to Growth?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Larry E. Jones & Rodolfo E. Manuelli, 2000.
"Endogenous policy choice: the case of pollution and growth,"
276, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Larry E. Jones & Rodolfo E. Manuelli, 2001. "Endogenous Policy Choice: The Case of Pollution and Growth," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(2), pages 369-405, July.
- Tetsuo Ono, 2003. "Environmental tax policy in a model of growth cycles," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 141-168, 08.
- Costanza, Robert, 1995. "Economic growth, carrying capacity, and the environment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 89-90, November.
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1983.
"On endogenous competitive business cycles,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- John, A & Pecchenino, R, 1994. "An Overlapping Generations Model of Growth and the Environment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(427), pages 1393-1410, November.
- Béatrice Roussillon & Paul Schweinzer, 2010. "Efficient emissions reduction," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1004, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Hilton, F. G. Hank & Levinson, Arik, 1998. "Factoring the Environmental Kuznets Curve: Evidence from Automotive Lead Emissions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 126-141, March.
- Donohoe, Martin, 2003. "Causes and health consequences of environmental degradation and social injustice," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 573-587, February.
- Azomahou, Theophile & Laisney, Francois & Nguyen Van, Phu, 2006.
"Economic development and CO2 emissions: A nonparametric panel approach,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1347-1363, August.
- Azomahou, Théophile & Laisney, François & van Phu, Nguyen, 2005. "Economic Development and CO2 Emissions: A Nonparametric Panel Approach," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-56, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- George Economides & Apostolis Philippopoulos, 2008. "Growth enhancing policy is the means to sustain the environment," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 207-219, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcd:mcddps:2010_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Panagiotidis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.