Longevity, Pollution and Growth
We analyze the interplay between longevity, pollution and growth. We develop an OLG model where longevity, pollution and growth are endogenous. The authorities may provide two types of public services, public health and environmental maintenance, that participate to increase agents' life expectancy and to sustain growth in the long term. We show that global dynamics might be featured by a high growth rate equilibrium, associated with longer life expectancy and a environmental poverty trap. We examine changes in public policies: increasing public intervention on health or environmental maintenance display opposite effects on global dynamics, i.e. on the size of the trap and on the level of the stable balanced growth path. On the contrary, each type of public policy induces a negative leverage on the long run rate of growth.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00793513|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Smulders, J.A., 1994.
"Transitional impact of environmental policy in an endogenous growth model,"
1994-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bovenberg, A Lans & Smulders, Sjak A, 1996. "Transitional Impacts of Environmental Policy in an Endogenous Growth Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(4), pages 861-93, November.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Smulders, J.A., 1996. "Transitional impacts of environmental policy in an endogenous growth model," Other publications TiSEM e002b2ed-f04f-4ffc-98f8-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Cervellati, Matteo & Sunde, Uwe, 2005.
"Human capital formation, life expectancy, and the process of development,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20083, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Matteo Cervellati & Uwe Sunde, 2005. "Human Capital Formation, Life Expectancy, and the Process of Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1653-1672, December.
- Chakraborty, Shankha, 2004.
"Endogenous lifetime and economic growth,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 119-137, May.
- Shankha Chakraborty, 2002. "Endogenous Lifetime and Economic Growth," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2002-03, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 26 Jan 2002.
- Kenneth Y. Chay & Michael Greenstone, 1999.
"The Impact of Air Pollution on Infant Mortality: Evidence from Geographic Variation in Pollution Shocks Induced by a Recession,"
NBER Working Papers
7442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Y. Chay & Michael Greenstone, 2003. "The Impact Of Air Pollution On Infant Mortality: Evidence From Geographic Variation In Pollution Shocks Induced By A Recession," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 1121-1167, August.
- Grossman, Gene M & Krueger, Alan B, 1995.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 353-77, May.
- Tetsuo Ono, 2003. "Environmental Tax Policy and Long-Run Economic Growth," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 54(2), pages 203-217.
- Pierre-André Jouvet & Pierre Pestieau & Gregory Ponthiere, 2010.
"Longevity and environmental quality in an OLG model,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 100(3), pages 191-216, July.
- Pierre-André Jouvet & Pierre Pestieau & Grégory Ponthière, 2010. "Longevity and environmental quality in an OLG model," Post-Print halshs-00754437, HAL.
- Pierre-André Jouvet & Pierre Pestieau & Grégory Ponthière, 2007. "Longevity and environmental quality in an OLG model," EconomiX Working Papers 2007-19, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- JOUVET, Pierre-AndrÃ© & PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Gregory, 2007. "Longevity and environmental quality in an OLG model," CORE Discussion Papers 2007069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- JOUVET, Pierre-AndrÃ© & PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, GrÃ©gory, . "Longevity and environmental quality in an OLG model," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2377, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Evans, Mary F. & Smith, V. Kerry, 2005. "Do new health conditions support mortality-air pollution effects?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 496-518, November.
- Theodore Palivos & Dimitrios varvarigos, 2010.
"Pollution Abatement as a Source of Stabilisation and Long-Run Growth,"
Discussion Paper Series
2010_13, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Sep 2010.
- Theodore Palivos & Dimitrios Varvarigos, 2010. "Pollution Abatement as a Source of Stabilisation and Long-Run Growth," Discussion Papers in Economics 11/04, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Oct 2010.
- Carlotta Balestra & Davide Dottori, 2012.
"Aging society, health and the environment,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 1045-1076, July.
- George Economides & Apostolis Philippopoulos, 2008. "Growth enhancing policy is the means to sustain the environment," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 207-219, January.
- Dimitrios Varvarigos, 2010. "Environmental Degradation, Longevity, and the Dynamics of Economic Development," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 46(1), pages 59-73, May.
- Blackburn, Keith & Cipriani, Giam Pietro, 2002. "A model of longevity, fertility and growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 187-204, February.
- Neidell, Matthew J., 2004. "Air pollution, health, and socio-economic status: the effect of outdoor air quality on childhood asthma," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 1209-1236, November.
- Dasgupta, Purnamita, 2004. "Valuing health damages from water pollution in urban Delhi, India: a health production function approach," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 83-106, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00793513. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.