Longevity and environmental quality in an OLG model
Whereas existing OLG models with endogenous longevity neglect the impact of environmental quality on mortality, this paper studies the design of the optimal public intervention in a two-period OLG model where longevity is influenced positively by health expenditures, but negatively by pollution due to production. It is shown that if individuals, when choosing how much to spend on health, do not internalize the impact of their decision on environmental quality (i.e. the space available for each person), the decentralization of the social optimum requires a tax not only on capital income, but also, on health expenditures. The sensitivity of the optimal second-best public intervention is also explored numerically..
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 200 Avenue de la République, Bât. G - 92001 Nanterre Cedex|
Web page: http://economix.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chakraborty, Shankha, 2004.
"Endogenous lifetime and economic growth,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 119-137, May.
- Shankha Chakraborty, 2002. "Endogenous Lifetime and Economic Growth," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2002-03, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 26 Jan 2002.
- Philippe Michel & Gilles Rotillon, 1995. "Disutility of pollution and endogenous growth," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(3), pages 279-300, October.
- John, A & Pecchenino, R, 1994. "An Overlapping Generations Model of Growth and the Environment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(427), pages 1393-1410, November.
- JOUVET, Pierre-André & MICHEL, Philippe & VIDAL, Jean-Pierre, 1997.
"Intergenerational altruism and the environment,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- John, A. & Pecchenino, R. & Schimmelpfennig, D. & Schreft, S., 1995. "Short-lived agents and the long-lived environment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 127-141, September.
- Victoria Cramer & Svenn Torgersen & Einar Kringlen, 2004. "Quality of Life in a City: The Effect of Population Density," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 69(1), pages 103-116, October.
- Browning, Martin & Hansen, Lars Peter & Heckman, James J., 1999.
"Micro data and general equilibrium models,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 543-633
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Qiao, Xue, 2005. "Public and Private Expenditures on Health in a Growth Model," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12378, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Grégory & SATO, Motohiro, "undated".
"Longevity, health spending, and pay-as-you-go pensions,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2029, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre Pestieau & Gregory Ponthiere & Motohiro Sato, 2008. "Longevity, Health Spending, and Pay-as-you-Go Pensions," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 64(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Pierre Pestieau & Grégory Ponthière & Motohiro Sato, 2008. "Longevity, health spending, and pay-as-you-go pensions," Post-Print halshs-00754319, HAL.
- Marie-Louise Leroux & Pierre Pestieau & Grégory Ponthière, 2011.
"Optimal Linear Taxation under Endogenous Longevity,"
- Marie-Louise Leroux & Pierre Pestieau & Gregory Ponthiere, 2011. "Optimal linear taxation under endogenous longevity," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 213-237, January.
- LEROUX, Marie-Louise & PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIÈRE, Grégory, 2008. "Optimal linear taxation under endogenous longevity," CORE Discussion Papers 2008051, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- LEROUX, Marie-Louise & PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Grégory, "undated". "Optimal linear taxation under endogenous longevity," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2268, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marie-Louise Leroux & Pierre Pestieau & Grégory Ponthière, 2008. "Optimal linear taxation under endogenous longevity," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586241, HAL.
- Jie Zhang & Junsen Zhang & Michael Leung, 2006. "Health investment, saving, and public policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(1), pages 68-93, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:drm:wpaper:2007-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.