The Evaluation of Immigration Policies
This chapter summarizes the literature on the evaluation of immigration policies. It brings together two strands of the literature dealing with the evaluation of labor market programs and with the economic integration of immigrants. Next to immigrant selection and settlement policies, there are four types of interventions that aim at improving the economic and social outcomes of immigrants: a) introduction programs, b) language training, c) labor market programs, and d) anti-discrimination policies. The chapter discusses problems associated with the evaluation of such programs, presents methodological approaches to circumvent these problems, and surveys empirical results and findings. It concludes with lessons from previous research and identifies avenues for future research.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Amelie F. Constant and Klaus F. Zimmermann (eds.), International Handbook on the Economics of Migration, Edward Elgar 2013, Cheltenham, UK, and Northampton, USA, Chapter 28, 530-551|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Kenneth & Drinkwater, Stephen, 2000. "Pushed out or pulled in? Self-employment among ethnic minorities in England and Wales," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 603-628, September.
- Adsera, Alicia & Chiswick, Barry R., 2004.
"Are There Gender and Country of Origin Differences in Immigrant Labor Market Outcomes across European Destinations?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1432, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alicia Adsera & Barry Chiswick, 2007. "Are there gender and country of origin differences in immigrant labor market outcomes across European destinations?," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 495-526, July.
- Kaas, Leo & Manger, Christian, 2010.
"Ethnic Discrimination in Germany's Labour Market: A Field Experiment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4741, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Leo Kaas & Christian Manger, 2012. "Ethnic Discrimination in Germany's Labour Market: A Field Experiment," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 13(1), pages 1-20, 02.
- Heather Antecol & Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Stephen J. Trejo, .
"Immigration Policy and the Skills of Immigrants to Australia, Canada, and the United States,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
2001-26, Claremont Colleges.
- Heather Antecol & Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Stephen J. Trejo, 2003. "Immigration Policy and the Skills of Immigrants to Australia, Canada, and the United States," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 38(1).
- Antecol, Heather & Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Trejo, Stephen, 2001. "Immigration Policy and the Skills of Immigrants to Australia, Canada, and the United States," IZA Discussion Papers 363, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pedersen, Peder J. & Pytlikova, Mariola & Smith, Nina, 2008. "Selection and network effects--Migration flows into OECD countries 1990-2000," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 1160-1186, October.
- Hinte, Holger & Rinne, Ulf & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2011. "Report No. 35: Ein Punktesystem zur bedarfsorientierten Steuerung der Zuwanderung nach Deutschland," IZA Research Reports 35, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Amelie Constant & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2009.
"Migration, Ethnicity and Economic Integration,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
957, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Olof Åslund & Per Johansson, 2011. "Virtues of SIN: Can Intensified Public Efforts Help Disadvantaged Immigrants?," Evaluation Review, , vol. 35(4), pages 399-427, August.
- Carlsson, Magnus & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2006.
"Evidence of Ethnic Discrimination in the Swedish Labor Market Using Experimental Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2281, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carlsson, Magnus & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2007. "Evidence of ethnic discrimination in the Swedish labor market using experimental data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 716-729, August.
- Chiswick, Barry R., 2011. "Immigration: High Skilled vs. Low Skilled Labor?," IZA Policy Papers 28, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chiswick, Barry R & Miller, Paul W, 1995. "The Endogeneity between Language and Earnings: International Analyses," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(2), pages 246-88, April.
- Aldashev, Alisher & Thomsen, Stephan L. & Walter, Thomas, 2010. "Short-term training programs for immigrants: do effects differ from natives and why?," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-021, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- De Giorgi, Giacomo & Pellizzari, Michele, 2009. "Welfare migration in Europe," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 353-363, August.
- Picot, Garnett & Sweetman, Arthur, 2011. "Canadian Immigration Policy and Immigrant Economic Outcomes: Why the Differences in Outcomes between Sweden and Canada?," IZA Policy Papers 25, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Clausen, Jens & Heinesen, Eskil & Hummelgaard, Hans & Husted, Leif & Rosholm, Michael, 2008.
"The Effect of Integration Policies on the Time until Regular Employment of Newly Arrived Immigrants: Evidence from Denmark,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3849, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Clausen, Jens & Heinesen, Eskil & Hummelgaard, Hans & Husted, Leif & Rosholm, Michael, 2009. "The effect of integration policies on the time until regular employment of newly arrived immigrants: Evidence from Denmark," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 409-417, August.
- Andrea Weber & Christine Zulehner, 2009. "Competition and Gender Prejudice: Are Discriminatory Employers Doomed to Fail?," Ruhr Economic Papers 0146, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.