Estimating the Smoothing Parameter in the So-Called Hodrick-Prescott Filter
This note gives a fairly complete statistical description of the Hodrick-Prescott Filter (1997) which has been proposed in the context of my seasonal adjustment method (Schlicht 1981, 1984). A statistics estimator for the smoothing parameter is proposed that is asymptotically equivalent to the maximum-likelihood estimator and has a straightforward intuitive interpretation. The method is illustrated by an application and several simulations.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of the Japan Statistical Society, 2005, 35 (1), 99-119|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart & Ludsteck, Johannes, 2006.
"Variance Estimation in a Random Coefficients Model,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
904, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart & Ludsteck, Johannes, 2006. "Variance Estimation in a Random Coefficients Model," IZA Discussion Papers 2031, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 1984.
"Seasonal Adjustment in a Stochastic Model,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
3371, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart & Pauly, Ralf, 1983.
"Descriptive Seasonal Adjustment by Minimizing Perturbations,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
3346, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart & Pauly, Ralf, 1982. "Descriptive Seasonal Adjustment by Minimizing Perturbations," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 16, Darmstadt University of Technology, Department of Law and Economics.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, . "Isolation and Aggregation in Economics," Monographs in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics, number 3, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.