Potenciální produkt, mezera výstupu a míra nejistoty spojená s jejich určením při použití Hodrick-Prescottova filtru
[Potential Product, Output Gap and Uncertainty Rate Associated with Their Determination while Using the Hodrick-Prescott Filter]
In various fields of macroeconomic modelling, researchers often face the problem of decomposing time series into trend component and cycle fluctuations. While there are several potentially useful methods to perform the task in question, Hodrick-Prescott (HP) fi lter seems to have remained (despite some serious criticism) the most popular approach over the past decade. In this article I propose a straightforward and easy-to-implement bootstrap procedure for building pointwise and simultaneous confidence intervals around "point estimates" produced by HP filter. The principle of proposed method can be described as follows: first, we use maximum entropy bootstrap (Vinod, 2004, 2006) to approximate ensemble from which original time series is drawn and then apply the HP filter directly to each bootstrap replication. If necessary, the proposed method can be adapted to allow for uncertainty in the smoothing parameter. Practical usefulness of our approach is demonstrated with an application to the GDP data. Results are encouraging - obtained confi dence intervals for the trend and cyclical component are overall plausible thus supplying a researcher with some measure of uncertainty related to HP filtering. Finally, we demonstrate that a former approach to build confidence intervals for HP filter (Gallego and Johnson, 2005) leads to erratic inference for cycle due to the shape-destroying block bootstrap sampling.
Volume (Year): 2011 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Redakce Politické ekonomie, Vysoká škola ekonomická, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/polek/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas M. Trimbur, 2006. "Detrending economic time series: a Bayesian generalization of the Hodrick-Prescott filter," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 247-273.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999.
"Estimation of the business cycle: A modified Hodrick-Prescott filter,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 175-206.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Estimation of the Business Cycle: a Modified Hodrick-Prescott Filter," Working Papers 9912, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Vinod, Hrishikesh D., 2006. "Maximum entropy ensembles for time series inference in economics," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 955-978, December.
- Timothy Cogley & James M. Nason, 1993.
"Effects of the Hodrick-Prescott filter on trend and difference stationary time series: implications for business cycle research,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
93-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Cogley, Timothy & Nason, James M., 1995. "Effects of the Hodrick-Prescott filter on trend and difference stationary time series Implications for business cycle research," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 253-278.
- Francisco Gallego & Christian Johnson, 2005. "Building confidence intervals for band-pass and Hodrick-Prescott filters: an application using bootstrapping," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(7), pages 741-749.
- King, R.G. & Rebelo, S.T., 1989.
"Low Frequency Filtering And Real Business Cycles,"
RCER Working Papers
205, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2004.
"Estimating the Smoothing Parameter in the So-Called Hodrick-Prescott Filter,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
304, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2004. "Estimating the Smoothing Parameter in the So-Called Hodrick-Prescott Filter," IZA Discussion Papers 1054, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- International Monetary Fund, 2010. "Estimating Potential Output with a Multivariate Filter," IMF Working Papers 10/285, International Monetary Fund.
- Albert Marcet & Morte O. Ravn, .
"The HP-Filter in Cross-Country Comparisons,"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
- Marcet, Albert & Ravn, Morten O, 2004. "The HP-Filter in Cross-Country Comparisons," CEPR Discussion Papers 4244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Albert Marcet & Morten O. Ravn, 2001. "The HP-filter in cross-country comparisons," Economics Working Papers 588, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Dec 2003.
- Albert Marcet & Morten O. Ravn, 2003. "The HP-Filter in Cross-Country Comparisons," Working Papers 32, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Harvey, A C & Jaeger, A, 1993. "Detrending, Stylized Facts and the Business Cycle," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 231-47, July-Sept.
- Andreas Billmeier, 2004. "Ghostbusting; Which Output Gap Measure Really Matters?," IMF Working Papers 04/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999.
"Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Tom Doan, . "BKFILTER: RATS procedure to implement band pass filter using Baxter-King method," Statistical Software Components RTS00026, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995. "Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Girardin, Michel, 1989. "Business cycles in Switzerland : A comparative study," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 31-50, January.
- Canova, Fabio, 1998. "Detrending and business cycle facts: A user's guide," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 533-540, May.
- Vinod, Hrishikesh D. & Lopez-de-Lacalle, Javier, 2009. "Maximum Entropy Bootstrap for Time Series: The meboot R Package," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 29(i05).
- Alasdair Scott, 2000. "Stylised facts from output gap measures," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2000/07, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Vinod, H. D., 2004. "Ranking mutual funds using unconventional utility theory and stochastic dominance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 353-377, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpol:v:2011:y:2011:i:4:id:801:p:490-507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.