Time-Varying Coefficients in a GMM Framework: Estimation of a Forward Looking Taylor Rule for the Federal Reserve
This article deals with the estimation of a time-varying coefficients equation with endogenous regressors. A non-parametric approach is proposed, combining the Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) with the smoothing splines litterature as in Hodrick and Prescott (1981). This new method is used to analyze the evolution of a forward-looking Taylor rule for the Federal Reserve (FED) from 1960 until 2006. It suggests that monetary policy accommodated inflation during the 60s and the 70s whereas the chairmanship of P. Volcker was a turning point toward a more aggressive stance on inflation. In addition, monetary policy became more and more countercyclical.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Banque de France 31 Rue Croix des Petits Champs LABOLOG - 49-1404 75049 PARIS|
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1998.
"Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence and Some Theory,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1908, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 2000. "Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence and Some Theory," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(1), pages 147-180.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1998. "Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence and some Theory," Working Papers 98-01, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1998. "Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability: Evidence and Some Theory," NBER Working Papers 6442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997. "Monetary policy rules and macroeconomic stability: Evidence and some theory," Economics Working Papers 350, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 1999.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2004.
"Estimating the Smoothing Parameter in the So-Called Hodrick-Prescott Filter,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
304, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2004. "Estimating the Smoothing Parameter in the So-Called Hodrick-Prescott Filter," IZA Discussion Papers 1054, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Orphanides, Athanasios, 2001.
"Monetary policy rules, macroeconomic stability and inflation: a view from the trenches,"
Working Paper Series
0115, European Central Bank.
- Orphanides, Athanasios, 2004. "Monetary Policy Rules, Macroeconomic Stability, and Inflation: A View from the Trenches," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(2), pages 151-75, April.
- Athanasios Orphanides, 2001. "Monetary policy rules, macroeconomic stability and inflation: a view from the trenches," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-62, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- ., 2003. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Money Markets and Politics, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1996. "Optimal Tests for Parameter Instability in the Generalized Method of Moments Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1085-1107, September.
- Laurence M. Ball, 2006. "Has Globalization Changed Inflation?," NBER Working Papers 12687, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jondeau E. & Le Bihan H. & Galles C., 2004. "Assessing Generalized Method-of-Moments Estimates of the Federal Reserve Reaction Function," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 225-239, April.
- ., 2003. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Trade and Development, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- ., 2003. "Introduction," Chapters, in: State and Local Finances under Pressure, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.