Constructing confidence bands for the Hodrick--Prescott filter
By noting that the Hodrick--Prescott (H--P) filter can be used as the solution to a particular regression problem, we are able to show how to construct confidence bands for the filtered time-series. This procedure requires that the data are stationary. The construction of such confidence bands is illustrated using annual US data for real value-added output and monthly US data for the unemployment rate.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2013)
Issue (Month): 5 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Polasek, Wolfgang, 2011.
"The Hodrick-Prescott (HP) Filter as a Bayesian Regression Model,"
277, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Wolfgang Polasek, 2011. "The Hodrick-Prescott (HP) Filter as a Bayesian Regression Model," Working Paper Series 46_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2012.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Girardin, Michel, 1989. "Business cycles in Switzerland : A comparative study," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 31-50, January.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2004. "Estimating the Smoothing Parameter in the So-Called Hodrick-Prescott Filter," Discussion Papers in Economics 304, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2004. "Estimating the Smoothing Parameter in the So-Called Hodrick-Prescott Filter," IZA Discussion Papers 1054, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:20:y:2013:i:5:p:480-484. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.