The Hodrick-Prescott (HP) Filter as a Bayesian Regression Model
The Hodrick-Prescott (HP) method is a popular smoothing method for economic time series to get a smooth or long-term component of stationary series like growth rates. We show that the HP smoother can be viewed as a Bayesian linear model with a strong prior using differencing matrices for the smoothness component. The HP smoothing approach requires a linear regression model with a Bayesian conjugate multi-normal-gamma distribution. The Bayesian approach also allows to make predictions of the HP smoother on both ends of the time series. Furthermore, we show how Bayes tests can determine the order of smoothness in the HP smoothing model. The extended HP smoothing approach is demonstrated for the non-stationary (textbook) airline passenger time series. Thus, the Bayesian extension of the HP model defines a new class of model-based smoothers for (non-stationary) time series and spatial models.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang Polasek & Richard Sellner, 2011.
"Does Globalization affect Regional Growth? Evidence for NUTS-2 Regions in EU-27,"
Working Paper Series
24_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Polasek, Wolfgang & Sellner, Richard, 2011. "Does Globalization Affect Regional Growth? Evidence for NUTS-2 Regions in EU-27," Economics Series 266, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Richard Sellner & Wolfgang Polasek, 2011. "Does Globalization a ffect Regional Growth? Evidence for NUTS-2 Regions in EU-27," ERSA conference papers ersa11p819, European Regional Science Association.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S. & Ravn, M., 1997.
"On Adjusting the H-P Filter for the Frequency of Observations,"
1997-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2001. "On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations," CESifo Working Paper Series 479, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ravn, Morten O & Uhlig, Harald, 2001. "On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations," CEPR Discussion Papers 2858, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- King, Robert G. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1993.
"Low frequency filtering and real business cycles,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 207-231.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999.
"Estimation of the business cycle: A modified Hodrick-Prescott filter,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 175-206.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Estimation of the Business Cycle: a Modified Hodrick-Prescott Filter," Working Papers 9912, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Polasek, Wolfgang, 2011.
"The Hodrick-Prescott (HP) Filter as a Bayesian Regression Model,"
277, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Wolfgang Polasek, 2011. "The Hodrick-Prescott (HP) Filter as a Bayesian Regression Model," Working Paper Series 46_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2012.
- Ravn, Morten O., 1997. "International business cycles in theory and in practice," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 255-283, April.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999.
"Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995. "Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "BKFILTER: RATS procedure to implement band pass filter using Baxter-King method," Statistical Software Components RTS00026, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Wolfgang Polasek, 2011.
"MCMC Estimation of Extended Hodrick-Prescott (HP) Filtering Models,"
Working Paper Series
25_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Wolfgang Polasek, 2012. "MCMC Estimation of Extended Hodrick-Prescott (HP) Filtering Models," DANUBE: Law and Economics Review, European Association Comenius - EACO, issue 1, pages 25-52, March.
- Blackburn, Keith & Ravn, Morten O, 1992. "Business Cycles in the United Kingdom: Facts and Fictions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 59(236), pages 383-401, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihsesp:277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.