The Extended Hodrick-Prescott (HP) Filter for Spatial Regression Smoothing
The extended Hodrick-Prescott (HP) method was developed by Polasek (2011) for a class of data smoother based on second order smoothness. This paper develops a new extended HP smoothing model that can be applied for spatial smoothing problems. In Bayesian smoothing we need a linear regression model with a strong prior based on differencing matrices for the smoothness parameter and a weak prior for the regression part. We define a Bayesian spatial smoothing model with neighbors for each observation and we define a smoothness prior similar to the HP filter in time series. This opens a new approach to modelbased smoothers for time series and spatial models based on MCMC. We apply it to the NUTS-2 regions of the European Union for regional GDP and GDP per capita, where the fixed effects are removed by an extended HP smoothing model.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang Polasek, 2012.
"MCMC Estimation of Extended Hodrick-Prescott (HP) Filtering Models,"
DANUBE: Law and Economics Review,
European Association Comenius - EACO, issue 1, pages 25-52, March.
- Wolfgang Polasek, 2011. "MCMC Estimation of Extended Hodrick-Prescott (HP) Filtering Models," Working Paper Series 25_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- King, Robert G. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1993.
"Low frequency filtering and real business cycles,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 207-231.
- Wolfgang Polasek & Richard Sellner, 2011.
"Does Globalization affect Regional Growth? Evidence for NUTS-2 Regions in EU-27,"
Working Paper Series
24_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Richard Sellner & Wolfgang Polasek, 2011. "Does Globalization a ffect Regional Growth? Evidence for NUTS-2 Regions in EU-27," ERSA conference papers ersa11p819, European Regional Science Association.
- Polasek, Wolfgang & Sellner, Richard, 2011. "Does Globalization Affect Regional Growth? Evidence for NUTS-2 Regions in EU-27," Economics Series 266, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S. & Ravn, M., 1997.
"On Adjusting the H-P Filter for the Frequency of Observations,"
1997-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ravn, Morten O & Uhlig, Harald, 2001. "On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations," CEPR Discussion Papers 2858, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2001. "On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations," CESifo Working Paper Series 479, CESifo Group Munich.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihsesp:275. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.