School Choice in Chile: Looking at the Demand Side
How do parents choose among schools when they are allowed to do so? In this paper, we analyze detailed information of 70,000 fourth-graders attending about 1,200 publicly subsidized schools in the context of the Chilean voucher system. We model the school choice of a household as a discrete choice of a single school, based on the random utility model developed by McFadden (1974) and the specification of Berry, Levinsohn, and Pakes (1995), which includes choice-specific unobservable characteristics and deals with potential endogeneity. Our results imply that households value some attributes of schools, with the two most important dimensions being test scores and distance to school. Interestingly, at the same time, our results suggest there is a lot of heterogeneity in preferences because the valuation of most school attributes depend on household characteristics. In particular, we find that while proximity to school is an inferior attribute, test scores is a normal attribute. We present evidence that our results are mainly driven by self-selection and not by school-side selection. As a nal check, we compute the average enrollment elasticity with respect to all school attributes and find that higher elasticities are correlated with higher supply of the attribute, especially in the case of test scores-enrollment elasticities for private schools.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Vicuña Mackenna 4860, Macul, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 354-4303
Fax: (562) 553-1664
Web page: http://www.economia.uc.cl
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco Gallego, 2002.
"Competencia y Resultados Educativos: Teoría y Evidencia para Chile,"
Documentos de Trabajo
217, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Francisco Gallego, 2002. "Competencia y Resultados Educativos: Teoría y Evidencia para Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 39(118), pages 309-352.
- Francisco A. Gallego, 2002. "Competencia y Resultados Educativos: Teoría y Evidencia para Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 150, Central Bank of Chile.
- Daniele Checchi & Tullio Jappelli, 2002.
"School choice and quality,"
Departmental Working Papers
2002-28, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Checchi, Daniele & Jappelli, Tullio, 2003. "School Choice and Quality," IZA Discussion Papers 828, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Checchi, Daniele & Jappelli, Tullio, 2004. "School Choice and Quality," CEPR Discussion Papers 4748, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tullio Jappelli & Daniele Checchi, 2003. "School Choice and Quality," CSEF Working Papers 91, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 09 Jul 2004.
- Sebastián Bustos & Dante Contreras & Paulina Sepulveda, 2007.
"When schools are the ones that choose: the effect of screening in Chile,"
wp242, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Dante Contreras & Paulina Sep�lveda & Sebastián Bustos, 2010. "When Schools Are the Ones that Choose: The Effects of Screening in Chile," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 91(s1), pages 1349-1368.
- Justine S. Hastings & Jeffrey M. Weinstein, 2007. "No Child Left Behind: Estimating the Impact on Choices and Student Outcomes," NBER Working Papers 13009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudio Sapelli, 2003. "The Chilean Voucher System: Some New Results and Research Challenges," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 40(121), pages 530-538.
- Francisco Gallego & Andrés E. Hernando, 2008.
"On the Determinants and Implications of School Choice: Semi-Structural Simulations for Chile,"
Documentos de Trabajo
343, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Francisco A. Gallego & Andres E. Hernando, 2008. "On the Determinants and Implications of School Choice: Semi-Structural Stimulations for Chile," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, August.
- Patrick Bayer & Fernando Ferreira & Robert McMillan, 2004. "Tiebout Sorting, Social Multipliers and the Demand for School Quality," NBER Working Papers 10871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Miguel Urquiola, 2003. "When Schools Compete, How Do They Compete? An Assessment of Chile's Nationwide School Voucher Program," NBER Working Papers 10008, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chumacero, Romulo & Gómez Caorsi, Daniel & Paredes, Ricardo, 2008. "I would walk 500 miles (if it paid)," MPRA Paper 15125, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2008.
- Francisco A. Gallego, 2004. "School Choice, Incentives, and Academic Outcomes: Evidence from Chile," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 39, Econometric Society.
- Patrick Bayer & Robert McMillan, 2005. "Choice and Competition in Local Education Markets," NBER Working Papers 11802, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ioe:doctra:356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jaime Casassus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.