Student mobility in low quality schools: Segmentation among the most vulnerable students
This study addresses the phenomenon of permanence for long years of low performance (urban) schools, measured by SIMCE. We also analyze mobility of students to other schools of same or better quality. The results show that student´s mobility rates in these schools is almost 11%. Almost 30% of the students who change schools go to a school of the same or worse quality. Students with greater probabilities of changing to better performance (higher quality) schools are those pertaining to groups with greater economic resources and cultural capital or better academic performance, which could account for strong segmentation that exists in the Chilean educational system.
Volume (Year): 39 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 Year 2012 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.uchile.cl/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hsieh, Chang-Tai & Urquiola, Miguel, 2006. "The effects of generalized school choice on achievement and stratification: Evidence from Chile's voucher program," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(8-9), pages 1477-1503, September.
- Carolina Ostoic & Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2004. "Equity and Achievement in the Chilean School Choice Experience," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 232, Econometric Society.
- Paredes, Ricardo & Ugarte, Gabriel, 2009. "Should Students Be Allowed to Miss?," MPRA Paper 15583, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2000. "Determinación de factores explicativos de los resultados escolares en educación media en Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 85, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Francisco A. Gallego, 2004. "School Choice, Incentives, and Academic Outcomes: Evidence from Chile," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 39, Econometric Society.
- Daniel G—mez & R—mulo A. Chumacero & Ricardo D. Paredes, 2012. "School choice and information," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 39(2 Year 20), pages 143-157, December.
- Ricardo Paredes & Juan Ignacio Pinto, 2009. "El fin de la educación pública en Chile?," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 36(1 Year 20), pages 47-66, June.
- Dante Contreras & Paulina Sep�lveda & Sebastián Bustos, 2010.
"When Schools Are the Ones that Choose: The Effects of Screening in Chile,"
Social Science Quarterly,
Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 91(s1), pages 1349-1368.
- Sebastián Bustos & Dante Contreras & Paulina Sepulveda, 2007. "When schools are the ones that choose: the effect of screening in Chile," Working Papers wp242, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Claudio Sapelli & Arístides Torche, 2002. "Subsidios al Alumno o a la Escuela: Efectos sobre la Elección de Colegios," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 39(117), pages 175-202.
- Cristian Aedo & Claudio Sapelli, . "El Sistema De Vouchers En La Educación: Una Revisión De La Teoría Y La Evidencia Empírica Para Chile," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv133, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Mark Schneider & Gregory Elacqua & Jack Buckley, 2006. "School choice in Chile: Is it class or the classroom?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 577-601.
- Chumacero, Romulo & Paredes, Ricardo, 2008. "Should for-profit schools be banned?," MPRA Paper 15099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chumacero, Rómulo A. & Gómez, Daniel & Paredes, Ricardo D., 2011. "I would walk 500 miles (if it paid): Vouchers and school choice in Chile," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1103-1114, October.
- Cristian Garcia Palomer & Ricardo Paredes, 2010. "Reducing the Educational Gap: Good Results in Vulnerable Groups," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(3), pages 535-555.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 1998. "Desempeño escolar y elección de colegios: La experiencia chilena," Documentos de Trabajo 36, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Anand, Priyanka & Mizala, Alejandra & Repetto, Andrea, 2009. "Using school scholarships to estimate the effect of private education on the academic achievement of low-income students in Chile," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 370-381, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udc:esteco:v:39:y:2012:i:2:p:159-177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.