Voucher system and school effectiveness: Reassessing school performance difference and parental choice decision-making
This paper discusses the potential contribution of employing school effectiveness methodological approach within the ongoing research debate on school choice issues. Using the first approach, we estimate the effectiveness of a sample of Chilean schools after controlling by a baseline at the student level. In order to avoid the endogeneity of such a baseline with respect to the school effect, we use a longitudinal data set (SIMCE 2004 and SIMCE 2006) from which a natural pseudo-experiment is defined in such a way that the baseline is by design uncorrelated with the school effect. Thereafter, we investigate possible relationships between parental school choice (as declared in public standardized surveys) and the schools classified by their effectiveness. The main conclusions of this paper are, on the one hand, that there is not remarkable difference between municipal (public) and subsidized schools in terms of their effectiveness analyzed under value-added; and, on the other hand, that there is no relation between parental school choice preferences and school effectiveness.
Volume (Year): 39 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 Year 2012 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.uchile.cl/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Schneider & Gregory Elacqua & Jack Buckley, 2006. "School choice in Chile: Is it class or the classroom?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 577-601.
- Fiona Steele & Anna Vignoles & Andrew Jenkins, 2007.
"The effect of school resources on pupil attainment: a multilevel simultaneous equation modelling approach,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 170(3), pages 801-824.
- Steele, Fiona & Vignoles, Anna & Jenkins, Andrew, 2007. "The effect of school resources on pupil attainment: a multilevel simultaneous equation modelling approach," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 26481, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- MANZI, Jorge & SAN MARTIN, Ernesto & VAN BELLEGEM, Sébastien, 2010.
"School system evaluation by value-added analysis under endogeneity,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2010046, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Manzi, Jorge & San Martin, Ernesto & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2010. "School System Evaluation By Value-Added Analysis under Endogeneity," IDEI Working Papers 631, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Manzi, Jorge & San Martin, Ernesto & Van Bellegem, Sébastien, 2010. "School System Evaluation By Value-Added Analysis under Endogeneity," TSE Working Papers 10-185, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Francisco Gallego & Andrés Hernando, 2009. "School Choice in Chile: Looking at the Demand Side," Documentos de Trabajo 356, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- McEwan, Patrick J., 2003. "Peer effects on student achievement: evidence from Chile," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 131-141, April.
- Daniel G—mez & R—mulo A. Chumacero & Ricardo D. Paredes, 2012. "School choice and information," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 39(2 Year 20), pages 143-157, December.
- Claudio Sapelli & Bernardita Vial, 2002. "The Performance of Private and Public Schools in the Chilean Voucher System," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 39(118), pages 423-454.
- Priyanka Anand & Alejandra Mizala & Andrea Repetto, 2006. "Using School Scholarships to Estimate the Effect of Government Subsidized Private Education on Academic Achievement in Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 220, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udc:esteco:v:39:y:2012:i:2:p:123-141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.