The effect of place of residence on access to employment : a field experiment on qualified young job applicants in Ile-de-France
The aim of this study is to evaluate hiring discrimination against young people in the Ile-de-France region on three different grounds: the reputation of the area they live in, their gender and their ethnic origin (French or Moroccan). The study is based on experimental testing data using a protocol that allows to examine the cross effects of these three dimensions, which we call "conditional discrimination". We study discrimination in a skilled occupation with a high demand - computer developers with MSclevel qualifications - and where discrimination is a priori very limited. For this occupation, we have constructed 12 fictional profiles of job applicants that are identical in everything except the characteristic we want to test. We examine area-based discrimination by giving these fictional candidates an address in one of three towns in the Val-d'Oise department: Enghien-les-Bains (good reputation), Sarcelles (poor reputation) and Villiers-le-Bel (poor reputation exacerbated by highly-publicised riots in 2007). Between mid-December 2008 and the end of January 2009, we sent 3684 applications in response to 307 job offers. The study consists in a statistical and econometric analysis of the replies to these applications.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00812113|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romain Aeberhardt & Julien Pouget, 2007. "National Origin Wage Differentials in France," Working Papers 2007-03, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Neumark, David, 1996.
"Sex Discrimination in Restaurant Hiring: An Audit Study,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 915-41, August.
- David Neumark & Roy J. Bank & Kyle D. Van Nort, 1995. "Sex Discrimination in Restaurant Hiring: An Audit Study," NBER Working Papers 5024, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DUGUET Emmanuel & PETIT Pascale, 2004.
"Hiring discrimination in the French financial sector: an econometric analysis on field experiment data,"
Labor and Demography
- Emmanuel DUGUET & Pascale PETIT, 2005. "Hiring discrimination in the French financial sector: an econometric analysis on field experiment data," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 78, pages 79-102.
- Pascale Petit & Emmanuel Duguet, . "Hiring Discrimination in the French Financial Sector : an Econometric Analysis on Field Experiment Data," EcoMod2006 272100069, EcoMod.
- Emmanuel Duguet & Pascale Petit, 2004. "Hiring discrimination in the French financial sector : an econometric analysis on field experiment data," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques v04038, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Roland Benabou, 1991.
"Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benabou, Roland, 1993. "Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 619-52, August.
- Claire Dujardin & Harris Selod & Isabelle Thomas, 2008.
"Residential Segregation and Unemployment: The Case of Brussels,"
Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 45(1), pages 89-113, January.
- Claire Dujardin & Harris Selod & Isabelle Thomas, 2005. "Residential segregation and unemployment : the case of Brussels," Research Unit Working Papers 0511, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- DUJARDIN Claire & SELOD Harris & THOMAS Isabelle, 2007. "Residential segregation and unemplyment : the case of Brussels," Research Unit Working Papers 0704, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- DUJARDIN, Claire & SELOD, Harris & THOMAS, Isabelle, . "Residential segregation and unemployment: The case of Brussels," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- James J. Heckman, 1998. "Detecting Discrimination," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 101-116, Spring.
- Pascale Petit, 2003. "Comment évaluer la discrimination à l'embauche ?," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 17(3), pages 55-87.
- Judith Rich & Peter Riach, 2002.
"Field experiments of discrimination in the market place,"
Natural Field Experiments
00328, The Field Experiments Website.
- P. A. Riach & J. Rich, 2002. "Field Experiments of Discrimination in the Market Place," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 480-518, November.
- Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2003.
"Search Activities, Cost of Living and Local Labor Markets,"
Working Paper Series
607, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2006. "Search activities, cost of living and local labor markets," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 227-248, March.
- Harris Selod & Yves Zenou, 2004.
"City Structure, Job Search and Labor Discrimination. Theory and Policy Implications,"
2004-13, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Harris Selod & Yves Zenou, 2006. "City Structure, Job Search and Labour Discrimination: Theory and Policy Implications," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(514), pages 1057-1087, October.
- Selod, Harris & Zenou, Yves, 2005. "City Structure, Job Search and Labour Discrimination. Theory and Policy Implications," CEPR Discussion Papers 5009, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harris Selod & Yves Zenou, 2004. "City-structure, job search and labor discrimination : theory and policy implications," Research Unit Working Papers 0403, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Selod, Harris & Zenou, Yves, 2004. "City Structure, Job Search, and Labor Discrimination. Theory and Policy Implications," Working Paper Series 620, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Judith Hellerstein & David Neumark & Melissa McInerney, 2007.
"Spatial Mismatch or Racial Mismatch?,"
07-16, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Yannick L’Horty & Antoine Goujard & Emmanuel Duguet, 2008. "Les inégalités territoriales d'accès à l'emploi : une exploration à partir de sources administratives exhaustives," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 415(1), pages 17-44.
- Frédéric GASCHET (IERSO, IFReDE-GRES) & Nathalie GAUSSIER (IERSO, IFReDE-GRES), 2004. "Urban segregation and labour markets within the Bordeaux metropolitan area: an investigation of the spatial friction," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2004-19, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Emmanuel Duguet & Yannick L'Horty & Florent Sari, 2009. "Sortir du chômage en Île-de-France. Disparités territoriales, spatial mismatch et ségrégation résidentielle," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 60(4), pages 979-1010.
- Coulson, N Edward & Laing, Derek & Wang, Ping, 2001. "Spatial Mismatch in Search Equilibrium," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(4), pages 949-72, October.
- Khaled Bouabdallah & Sandra Cavaco & Jean-Yves Lesueur, 2001. "Recherche d'Emploi, Contraintes Spatiales et Durée de Chômage," Post-Print halshs-00151577, HAL.
- Zenou, Yves & Boccard, Nicolas, 2000.
"Racial Discrimination and Redlining in Cities,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 260-285, September.
- Rogers, Cynthia L., 1997. "Job Search and Unemployment Duration: Implications for the Spatial Mismatch Hypothesis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 109-132, July.
- Kenney, Genevieve M & Wissoker, Douglas A, 1994. "An Analysis of the Correlates of Discrimination Facing Young Hispanic Job-Seekers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 674-83, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00812113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.