New economic geography: A guide to transport analysis
The paper surveys the main contributions of new economic geography from the point of view of transport analysis. It shows that decreasing transport costs is likely to exacerbate regional disparities. However, very low transport costs should foster a more balanced distribution for economic activities across space. Thus, the spatial curve of development, which relates the degree of spatial concentration to the level of transport costs, would be bell-shaped. The paper also provides a detailed discussion of the main determinants of transport costs, which remain fairly large in most countries. It concludes with a discussion of some policy implications.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00586878|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2006.
"Off-shoring of business services and de-industrialization: threat or opportunity - and for whom?,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19847, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2006. "Off-Shoring of Business Services and De-Industrialization: Threat or Opportunity - and for Whom?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0734, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Robert-Nicoud, Frédéric, 2006. "Off-Shoring of Business Services and Deindustrialization: Threat or Opportunity - and for Whom?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5617, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE,Â Jacques-FranÃ§ois, .
"On Hotelling's "Stability in competition","
CORE Discussion Papers RP
385, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1995.
"Industrial location and public infrastructure,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 335-351, November.
- Karen Helene Midelfart-Knarvik & Henry G. Overman, 2002. "Delocation and European integration: is structural spending justified?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 321-359, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:halshs-00586878. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.