Transportation networks and the location of human activities
The impact of transportation networks on the location of human activities is a surprisingly neglected topic in economic geography. Using the simple plant location problem, this paper investigates such an impact in the case of a few idealized networks. It is seen that a grid network tends to foster a dispersed pattern of activities, while the center of a radial network acts as an attractor. The case of two economies characterized by different network configurations that form a custom union is then analyzed. It is shown that the structural properties of the networks still hold, though some locations are pulled toward the common border. This suggests that no much relocation should be expected within the European Union if the state members endorse similar fiscal and social policies after the formation of the single market.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- labbe, M. & Peeters, D. & Thisse, J.F., 1992.
"Location on Networks,"
9216, Universite Libre de Bruxelles - C.E.M.E..
- LABBE, Martine & PEETERS, Dominique & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1993. "Location on Networks," CORE Discussion Papers 1993040, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Demange, Gabrielle & Henriet, Dominique, 1991. "Sustainable oligopolies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 417-428, August.
- Gabrielle Demange & Dominique Henriet, 1991. "Sustainable Oligopolies," Post-Print halshs-00670928, HAL.
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996. "Trade policy and the Third World metropolis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- Raul Livas Elizondo & Paul Krugman, 1992. "Trade Policy and the Third World Metropolis," NBER Working Papers 4238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arthur, W. Brian, 1990. "'Silicon Valley' locational clusters: when do increasing returns imply monopoly?," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 235-251, June.
- Donald Erlenkotter, 1977. "Facility Location with Price-Sensitive Demands: Private, Public, and Quasi-Public," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(4), pages 378-386, December.
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 2013. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107001411, January.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996. "Economics of Agglomeration," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 339-378, December.
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 2013. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521171960, January.
- Fujita, M. & Thisse, J.-F., "undated". "Economics of agglomeration," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1250, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1996. "Economics of Agglomeration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1344, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-1189 is not listed on IDEAS
- G Ottaviano & Diego Puga, 1997. "Agglomeration in a global Economy: A Survey," CEP Discussion Papers dp0356, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano & Diego Puga, 1997. "Agglomeration in a global economy: a survey," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20324, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Aoyagi, Masaki & Okabe, Atsuyuki, 1993. "Spatial competition of firms in a two-dimensional bounded market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 259-289, April.
- Blum, Ulrich & Gercek, Haluk & Viegas, José, 1992. "High-speed railway and the European peripheries: Opportunities and challenges," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 211-221, March.
- Gordon F. Mulligan, 1984. "Agglomeration and Central Place Theory: A Review of the Literature," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 9(1), pages 1-42, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)