Modelling the Flow of Knowledge and Human Capital: A Framework of Innovative Capital
Recently, the EU Council adopted a new labour migration policy instrument - the EU Blue Cards (BC) - for attracting the highly skilled workers to the EU. The present paper examines the potential impacts, which BC may cause on less developed sending countries (LDC). Our results suggest that the EU BC will reduce human capital in LDC. In addition, BC will also have a negative impact on knowledge capital. These findings suggest that without appropriate policy responses, BC makes developing country growth prospects rather bleak than blue. Therefore, we propose and analyse alternative migration policy instruments for LDC. We find that policies implemented on the demand side of the skilled labour market are the most efficient. In contrast, policies that address the supply side of the skilled labour market are the least efficient, though they might be less costly to implement.
|Date of creation:||12 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue de Beaulieu, 1160 Brussels|
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dries, Liesbeth & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis, 2011.
"Job Creation And Job Destruction In The Eu Agriculture,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114430, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d’Artis, 2012. "Job creation and job destruction in EU agriculture," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 600-608.
- Liesbeth Dries & Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs, 2012. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in EU Agriculture," LICOS Discussion Papers 31512, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Dries, Liesbeth & Kancs, d'Artis, 2010. "Job creation and job destruction in the EU agriculture," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 61351, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kancs, D’Artis & Kielyte, Julda, 2010.
"Education in the East, Emigrating to the West?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 133-154, May.
- Kancs, d'Artis & Kielyte, Julda, 2010.
"European Integration and Labour Migration,"
European Integration online Papers (EIoP),
European Community Studies Association Austria (ECSA-A), vol. 14, November.
- d’Artis Kancs & Julda Kielyte, 2002. "Migration in the Enlarged European Union: Empirical Evidence for Labour Mobility in the Baltic States," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2002_04, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-437.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- James J. Heckman, 1999.
"Policies to Foster Human Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
7288, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Heckman, 2000. "Policies to Foster Human Capital," Working Papers 0028, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- James J. Heckman, 2000. "Policies to Foster Human Capital," JCPR Working Papers 154, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August.
- James Heckman & Pedro Carneiro, 2003.
"Human Capital Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
9495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- d'Artis Kancs & Pavel Ciaian, 2007.
"Blue Cards, Blue Prospects?,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
19407, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- John Fender & Ping Wang, 2001.
"Educational Policy in a Credit Constrained Economy with Skill Heterogeneity,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0133, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- John Fender & Ping Wang, 2003. "Educational Policy in a Credit Constrained Economy with Skill Heterogeneity," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 44(3), pages 939-964, 08.
- d’Artis Kancs, 2005.
"Can we use NEG models to predict migration flows? An example of CEE accession countries,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2005_01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- D’Artis Kancs, 2005. "Can we use NEG models to predict migration flows? An example of CEE accession countries," Migration Letters, Transnational Press London, UK, vol. 2(1), pages 32-63, April.
- Robert J. Willis & Sherwin Rosen, 1978.
"Education and Self-Selection,"
NBER Working Papers
0249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- d'Artis Kancs & Pavel Ciaian, 2010.
"The Impact of the EU Blue Card Policy on Economic Growth in the African Sending Countries,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2010_10, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- D'artis Kancs & Pavel Ciaian, 2010. "The Impact Of The Eu Blue Card Policy On Economic Growth In The African Sending Countries," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 78(3), pages 225-247, 09.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish & Rodriguez, Carlos, 1975.
"Welfare-theoretical analyses of the brain drain,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 195-221, September.
- d'Artis Kancs, 2011.
"Labour migration in the enlarged EU: a new economic geography approach,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 171-188.
- d'Artis Kancs, 2011. "Labour Migration in the Enlarged EU: A New Economic Geography Approach," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2011_22, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- d’Artis Kancs, 2006. "The economic geography of labour migration: Competition, competitiveness and development," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2006_01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Averett, Susan L. & Burton, Mark L., 1996. "College attendance and the college wage premium: Differences by gender," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 37-49, February.
- Mansfield, Edwin & Schwartz, Mark & Wagner, Samuel, 1981. "Imitation Costs and Patents: An Empirical Study," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(364), pages 907-18, December.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Elvio Accinelli & Silvia London & Lionello F. Punzo & Edgar J. Sanchez Carrera, 2010. "Dynamic Complementarities, Efficiency and Nash Equilibria for Populations of Firms and Workers," Journal of Economics and Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics Society, vol. 53(1), pages 90-110.
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Innovation, Technology Transfer, and the World Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(2), pages 253-66, April.
- Louka T. Katseli & Robert E.B. Lucas & Theodora Xenogiani, 2006. "Effects of Migration on Sending Countries: What Do We Know?," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 250, OECD Publishing.
- Carrington, William J & Detragiache, Enrica & Vishwanath, Tara, 1996. "Migration with Endogenous Moving Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 909-30, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2011_21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.