Stricter employment protection and firms’ incentives to sponsor training: The case of French older workers
From French data, this paper uses a difference-in-differences approach combined with propensity score matching to identify the effect of an exogenous change in employment protection among older workers on firm’s incentives to sponsor training. Laying off workers aged 50 and above, French firms have to pay a tax to the unemployment insurance system, known as the Delalande tax. In 1999, the measure was subjected to a reform that increased due taxes but that did not concern equally all firms. We find that this exogenous shock to employment protection for older workers substantially rises firms’ incentives to train the 45-49 age group of workers. This result confirms predictions of the simple labor market model we develop in a first stage.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33(0) 1 43 13 62 30
Fax: +33(0) 1 43 13 62 32
Web page: http://www.cepremap.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Picchio, M. & van Ours, J.C., 2011.
"Retaining through Training; Even for OlderWorkers,"
2011-040, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Matteo PICCHIO & Jan C. van OURS, 2011. "Retaining through Training: Even for Older Workers," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011017, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- M. Picchio & J. C. Van Ours, 2011. "Retaining through Training Even for Older Workers," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/748, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Picchio, Matteo & van Ours, Jan C, 2011. "Retaining through training; even for older workers," CEPR Discussion Papers 8320, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Picchio, Matteo & van Ours, Jan C., 2011. "Retaining through Training: Even for Older Workers," IZA Discussion Papers 5591, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michele Belot & Jan Boone & Jan van Ours, 2004.
"Welfare Improving Employment Protection,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c009_004, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Arnaud Chéron & Bénédicte Rouland & François-Charles Wolf, 2010.
"Returns to firm-provided training in France:Evidence on mobility and wages,"
TEPP Working Paper
- Arna Chéron & Bénédicte Rouland & François Charles Wolff, 2010. "Returns to firm-provided training in France: Evidence on mobility and wages," Working Papers halshs-00809753, HAL.
- Arnaud Chéron & Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot, 2011.
"Age-Dependent Employment Protection,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- A. Smith, Jeffrey & E. Todd, Petra, 2005.
"Does matching overcome LaLonde's critique of nonexperimental estimators?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 305-353.
- Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 2003. "Does Matching Overcome Lalonde's Critique of Nonexperimental Estimators?," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers 20035, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Montizaan Raymond & Cörvers Frank & Grip Andries de, 2009.
"The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment,"
044, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Montizaan, Raymond & Cörvers, Frank & De Grip, Andries, 2010. "The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 240-247, January.
- Montizaan, Raymond & Cörvers, Frank & de Grip, Andries, 2009. "The Effects of Pension Rights and Retirement Age on Training Participation: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 4462, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Montizaan Raymond & Cörvers Frank & Grip Andries de, 2009. "The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment," ROA Research Memorandum 012, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & Francois Langot & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2010. "Distance to Retirement and Older Workers' Employment: The Case for Delaying the Retirement Age," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(5), pages 1034-1076, 09.
- Bassanini, Andrea & Booth, Alison L. & Brunello, Giorgio & De Paola, Maria & Leuven, Edwin, 2005.
"Workplace Training in Europe,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Chéron, Arnaud & Langot, François, 2007. "Job Creation and Job Destruction over the Life Cycle: The Older Workers in the Spotlight," IZA Discussion Papers 2597, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Schnalzenberger, Mario & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2009. "Layoff tax and employment of the elderly," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 618-624, December.
- Arnaud Chéron & Bénédicte Rouland, 2011. "Inefficient Job Destructions and Training with Hold‐up," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 25(4), pages 397-420, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpm:docweb:1206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stéphane Adjemian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.