Stricter employment protection and firms' incentives to train: The case of French older workers
From French data, this paper uses a diﬀerence-in-diﬀerences approach combined with propensity score matching to identify the eﬀect of an exogenous change in employment protection among older workers on ﬁrm's incentives to provide training. Laying oﬀ workers aged 50 and above, French ﬁrms have to pay a tax to the unemployment insurance system, known as the Delalande tax. In 1999, the measure was subjected to a reform that increased due taxes but that did not concern equally all ﬁrms. We ﬁnd that this exogenous shock to employment protection for older workers substantially rises ﬁrms' incentives to train the 45-49 age group of workers. This result conﬁrms predictions of the simple labor market model we develop in a ﬁrst stage.
|Date of creation:||08 Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00856132|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang Lechthaler, 2009.
"The interaction of firing costs and firm training,"
Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 331-350, August.
- Wolfgang Lechthaler, 2006. "The Interaction of Firing Costs and Firm Training," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2006 2006-01, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Schnalzenberger, Mario & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2009. "Layoff tax and employment of the elderly," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 618-624, December.
- Michele Belot & Jan Boone & Jan Van Ours, 2007.
"Welfare-Improving Employment Protection,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(295), pages 381-396, 08.
- Belot, M.V.K. & Boone, J. & van Ours, J.C., 2007. "Welfare improving employment protection," Other publications TiSEM eee2f823-1384-4a2f-a4eb-7, School of Economics and Management.
- Michele Belot & Jan Boone & Jan van Ours, 2004. "Welfare Improving Employment Protection," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_004, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Montizaan, Raymond & Cörvers, Frank & De Grip, Andries, 2010.
"The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 240-247, January.
- Montizaan, Raymond & Cörvers, Frank & de Grip, Andries, 2009. "The Effects of Pension Rights and Retirement Age on Training Participation: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 4462, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Montizaan Raymond & Cörvers Frank & Grip Andries de, 2009. "The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment," ROA Research Memorandum 012, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Montizaan Raymond & Cörvers Frank & Grip Andries de, 2009. "The effects of pension rights and retirement age on training participation: Evidence from a natural experiment," Research Memorandum 044, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Picchio, Matteo & van Ours, Jan C., 2011.
"Retaining through Training: Even for Older Workers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5591, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Picchio & J. C. Van Ours, 2011. "Retaining through Training Even for Older Workers," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/748, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Matteo PICCHIO & Jan C. van OURS, 2011. "Retaining through Training: Even for Older Workers," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011017, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Picchio, Matteo & van Ours, Jan C, 2011. "Retaining through training; even for older workers," CEPR Discussion Papers 8320, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Picchio, M. & van Ours, J.C., 2011. "Retaining through Training; Even for OlderWorkers," Discussion Paper 2011-040, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Arna Chéron & Bénédicte Rouland & François Charles Wolff, 2010.
"Returns to firm-provided training in France: Evidence on mobility and wages,"
- Arnaud Chéron & Bénédicte Rouland & François-Charles Wolf, 2010. "Returns to firm-provided training in France:Evidence on mobility and wages," TEPP Working Paper 2010-10, TEPP.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias & Costas Meghir & John Van Reenen, 2004.
"Evaluating the Employment Impact of a Mandatory Job Search Program,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(4), pages 569-606, 06.
- Blundell, Richard William & Costa Dias, Monica & Meghir, Costas & Van Reenen, John, 2003. "Evaluating the Employment Impact of a Mandatory Job Search Programme," CEPR Discussion Papers 3786, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:2011040 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luc Behaghel & Bruno CrÃ©pon & BÃ©atrice SÃ©dillot, 2008.
"The perverse effects of partial employment protection reform: the case of French older workers,"
23397, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Behaghel, Luc & Crépon, Bruno & Sédillot, Béatrice, 2008. "The perverse effects of partial employment protection reform: The case of French older workers," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(3-4), pages 696-721, April.
- Bassanini, Andrea & Booth, Alison L. & Brunello, Giorgio & De Paola, Maria & Leuven, Edwin, 2005. "Workplace Training in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 1640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arnaud Chéron & Bénédicte Rouland, 2011. "Inefficient Job Destructions and Training with Hold‐up," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 25(4), pages 397-420, December.
- Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 2003.
"Does Matching Overcome Lalonde's Critique of Nonexperimental Estimators?,"
University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers
20035, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- A. Smith, Jeffrey & E. Todd, Petra, 2005. "Does matching overcome LaLonde's critique of nonexperimental estimators?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 305-353.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2000. "Evaluation methods for non-experimental data," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 21(4), pages 427-468, January.
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & Francois Langot & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2010. "Distance to Retirement and Older Workers' Employment: The Case for Delaying the Retirement Age," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(5), pages 1034-1076, 09.
- Arnaud Chéron & Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot, 2011. "Age-Dependent Employment Protection," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00623282, HAL.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra, 1998. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 261-94, April.
- Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Chéron, Arnaud & Langot, François, 2007. "Job Creation and Job Destruction over the Life Cycle: The Older Workers in the Spotlight," IZA Discussion Papers 2597, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00856132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.