Taxation of early retirement windows and delaying retirement: the French experience
This paper investigates the e ect of the 2003 French pension reform on hiring, ring and employment rates among older workers. This reform increased the mandatory retirement age and simultaneously it set a tax levied on early retirement windows payed by rms to their older workers, to encourage them to leave their job early. We use a matching model with endogenous job destruction extended to account for a mandatory retirement age and we calibrate the model with data drawn from the French Labor Force Surveys for the years 2001 and 2002. We show that in the case of a high tax rate, delaying retirement raises job separation rates, which partially o sets its positive e ect on job nding rates. Consequently, the combination of an increase in the retirement age and a taxation on early retirement windows may have perverse e ects on the employment rate among older workers.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00809758|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
- Dorn, David & Sousa-Poza, Alfonso, 2007.
"'Voluntary' and 'Involuntary' Early Retirement: An International Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2714, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Dorn & Alfonso Sousa-Poza, 2010. "'Voluntary' and 'involuntary' early retirement: an international analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 427-438.
- Chéron, Arnaud & Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Langot, François, 2008.
"Age-Dependent Employment Protection,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3851, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arnaud Chéron & Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot, 2011. "Age-Dependent Employment Protection," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00623282, HAL.
- Walter Y. Oi, 1962. "Labor as a Quasi-Fixed Factor," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 538.
- Luc Behahel, 2006.
"La protection de l'emploi des travailleurs âgés en France : une étude de la contribution Delalande,"
Research Unit Working Papers
0603, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Luc BEHAGHEL, 2007. "La protection de l'emploi des travailleurs Âgés en France : une étude de la contribution Delalande," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 85, pages 41-80.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1980. "The Decline in Male Labor Force Participation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 117-34, February.
- Patrick Aubert & Eve Caroli & Muriel Roger, 2006.
"New technologies, organisation and age: firm-level evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(509), pages F73-F93, 02.
- Roger, Muriel & Aubert, Patrick & Caroli, Eve, 2006. "New technologies, organisation and age: firm-level evidence," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10051, Paris Dauphine University.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1990. "Job Security Provisions and Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(3), pages 699-726, August.
- Hashimoto, Masanori, 1981. "Firm-Specific Human Capital as a Shared Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 475-82, June.
- Hutchens, Robert, 1986. "Delayed Payment Contracts and a Firm's Propensity to Hire Older Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(4), pages 439-57, October.
- Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand, 2007. "Aspiration à la retraite, santé et satisfaction au travail : une comparaison européenne," Working Papers DT1, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Feb 2007.
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & Francois Langot & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2010. "Distance to Retirement and Older Workers' Employment: The Case for Delaying the Retirement Age," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(5), pages 1034-1076, 09.
- Hosios, Arthur J, 1990. "On the Efficiency of Matching and Related Models of Search and Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 279-98, April.
- Hakola, Tuulia & Uusitalo, Roope, 2005. "Not so voluntary retirement decisions? Evidence from a pension reform," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2121-2136, December.
- Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Chéron, Arnaud & Langot, François, 2007. "Job Creation and Job Destruction over the Life Cycle: The Older Workers in the Spotlight," IZA Discussion Papers 2597, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Behaghel, Luc & Crépon, Bruno & Sédillot, Béatrice, 2008.
"The perverse effects of partial employment protection reform: The case of French older workers,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(3-4), pages 696-721, April.
- Luc Behaghel & Bruno CrÃ©pon & BÃ©atrice SÃ©dillot, 2008. "The perverse effects of partial employment protection reform: the case of French older workers," Working Papers 23397, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Hutchens, Robert, 1999. "Social Security Benefits and Employer Behavior: Evaluating Social Security Early Retirement Benefits as a Form of Unemployment Insurance," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 659-78, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00809758. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.