A note on the life-cycle search and matching model with segmented labor markets
Recently, there has been renewed interest in labor search and matching models that incorporate a life-cycle structure by assuming finite horizons. Existing studies provide detailed analyses on the age dynamics of job creation and destruction, assuming that workers of all ages search for jobs in the same market. This paper examines a related environment that has drawn less attention, where the labor market is exogenously segmented by age. The paper finds sufficient conditions for the model to yield unambiguous predictions on the age profiles of key variables, and compares them with the corresponding conditions in models with a single market. The paper further examines the age profiles of these key variables in the efficient allocation. In particular, with no persistence in idiosyncratic match productivity, the efficient allocation is found to exhibit monotonic age profiles for the job finding and separation rates.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ludo Visschers & Irina A. Telyukova & Guido Menzio, 2010.
"Directed Search over the Life Cycle,"
2010 Meeting Papers
185, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guido Menzio & Irina A. Telyukova & Ludo Visschers, 2015. "Directed Search over the Life Cycle," ESE Discussion Papers 254, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Guido Menzio & Irina A. Telyukova & Ludo Visschers, 2012. "Directed Search over the Life Cycle," PIER Working Paper Archive 12-002, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Guido Menzio & Irina A. Telyukova & Ludo Visschers, 2012. "Directed Search over the Life Cycle," NBER Working Papers 17746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Menzio & Irina A. Telykova & Ludo Visschers, 2012. "Directed search over the life cycle," Economics Working Papers we1210, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Ludo Visschers & Irina Telyukova & Guido Menzio, 2011. "Directed search over the life cycle," 2011 Meeting Papers 1360, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Chéron, Arnaud & Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Langot, François, 2011.
"Life Cycle Equilibrium Unemployment,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb)
- Chéron, Arnaud & Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Langot, François, 2008. "Life-Cycle Equilibrium Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 3396, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arnaud Chéron & Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot, 2013. "Life Cycle Equilibrium Unemployment," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00759471, HAL.
- Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Chéron, Arnaud & Langot, François, 2007. "Job Creation and Job Destruction over the Life Cycle: The Older Workers in the Spotlight," IZA Discussion Papers 2597, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arnaud Chéron & Jean‐Olivier Hairault & François Langot, 2011.
"Age‐Dependent Employment Protection,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(557), pages 1477-1504, December.
- Chéron, Arnaud & Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Langot, François, 2008. "Age-Dependent Employment Protection," IZA Discussion Papers 3851, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arnaud Chéron & Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot, 2011. "Age-Dependent Employment Protection," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00623282, HAL.
- Julen Esteban-Pretel & Junichi Fujimoto, 2011.
"Life-Cycle Labor Search with Stochastic Match Quality,"
CIRJE-F-783, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Julen Esteban‐Pretel & Junichi Fujimoto, 2014. "Life‐Cycle Labor Search With Stochastic Match Quality," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55, pages 575-599, 05.
- repec:oup:restud:v:61:y:1994:i:3:p:397-415 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hahn, Volker, 2009. "Search, unemployment, and age," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1361-1378, June.
- repec:oup:restud:v:57:y:1990:i:2:p:279-98 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:121:y:2013:i:1:p:48-52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.