Unemployment, Participation and Worker Flows over the Life Cycle
We estimate and report life cycle transition probabilities between employment, unemployment and inactivity for male workers using Current Population Survey monthly files. We assess the relative importance of each probability in explaining the life cycle profiles of participation and unemployment rates using a novel decomposition method. A key robust finding is that most differences in participation and unemployment over the life cycle can be attributed to the probability of leaving employment and the probability of transiting from inactivity to unemployment, while transitions from unemployment to employment (the job finding probability) play secondary roles. We then show that a simple life cycle extension of a three-state labor search model with leisure shocks can qualitatively replicate the empirical unemployment and participation life cycle profiles, without introducing age or worker heterogeneity in market abilities. We conclude that models that seek to explain life cycle work patterns should not ignore transitions to and from inactivity.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shigeru Fujita & Garey Ramey, 2009.
"The Cyclicality Of Separation And Job Finding Rates,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(2), pages 415-430, 05.
- Shigeru Fujita & Garey Ramey, 2007. "The cyclicality of separation and job finding rates," Working Papers 07-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Morten O. Ravn, 2006.
"The Consumption-Tightness Puzzle,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2006/13, European University Institute.
- Fernando Alvarez & Marcelo Veracierto, 1999.
"Labor market policies in an equilibrium search model,"
Working Paper Series
WP-99-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Fernando Alvarez & Marcelo Veracierto, 2000. "Labor-Market Policies in an Equilibrium Search Model," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1999, Volume 14, pages 265-316 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Etienne Wasmer, 2005.
"Equilibrium Search Unemployment, Endogenous Participation, And Labor Market Flows,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 3(4), pages 851-882, 06.
- Garibaldi, Pietro & Wasmer, Etienne, 2003. "Equilibrium Search Unemployment, Endogenous Participation and Labour Market Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 3986, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Etienne Wasmer, 2005. "Equilibrium Search Unemployment, Endogenous Participation and Labor Market Flows," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/8921, Sciences Po.
- Gary D. Hansen & Selahattin Imrohoroglu, 2006.
"Consumption Over the Life Cycle: The Role of Annuities,"
NBER Working Papers
12341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Hansen & Selahattin Imrohoroglu, 2008. "Consumption over the Life Cycle: The Role of Annuities," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(3), pages 566-583, July.
- Krusell, Per & Mukoyama, Toshihiko & Rogerson, Richard & Sahin, Aysegül, 2008.
"Aggregate implications of indivisible labor, incomplete markets, and labor market frictions,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 961-979, July.
- Per Krusell & Toshihiko Mukoyama & Richard Rogerson & Aysegul Sahin, 2008. "Aggregate Implications of Indivisible Labor, Incomplete Markets, and Labor Market Frictions," NBER Working Papers 13871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Menzio & Irina Telyukova & Ludo Visschers, .
"Directed Search over the Life Cycle,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guido Menzio & Irina A. Telyukova & Ludo Visschers, 2012. "Directed Search over the Life Cycle," PIER Working Paper Archive 12-002, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Ludo Visschers & Irina Telyukova & Guido Menzio, 2011. "Directed search over the life cycle," 2011 Meeting Papers 1360, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ludo Visschers & Irina A. Telyukova & Guido Menzio, 2010. "Directed Search over the Life Cycle," 2010 Meeting Papers 185, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guido Menzio & Irina Telyukova & Ludo Visschers, 2015. "Code and data files for "Directed Search over the Life Cycle"," Computer Codes 14-237, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Guido Menzio & Irina A. Telyukova & Ludo Visschers, 2012. "Directed Search over the Life Cycle," NBER Working Papers 17746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Menzio & Irina A. Telykova & Ludo Visschers, 2012. "Directed search over the life cycle," Economics Working Papers we1210, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Veracierto, Marcelo, 2008.
"On the cyclical behavior of employment, unemployment and labor force participation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 1143-1157, September.
- Marcelo Veracierto, 2002. "On the cyclical behavior of employment, unemployment and labor force participation," Working Paper Series WP-02-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gary Solon & Ryan Michaels & Michael W. L. Elsby, 2009.
"The Ins and Outs of Cyclical Unemployment,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 84-110, January.
- Pries, Michael & Rogerson, Richard, 2009. "Search frictions and labor market participation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 568-587, July.
- Chéron, Arnaud & Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Langot, François, 2011.
"Life Cycle Equilibrium Unemployment,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb)
- Alexandre Janiak & Paulo Santos Monteiro, 2010. "Labor force heterogeneity: implications for the relation between aggregate volatility and government size," Documentos de Trabajo 272, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Abowd, John M & Zellner, Arnold, 1985. "Estimating Gross Labor-Force Flows," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(3), pages 254-83, June.
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & Francois Langot & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2010. "Distance to Retirement and Older Workers' Employment: The Case for Delaying the Retirement Age," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(5), pages 1034-1076, 09.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Lars Ljungqvist & Sagiri Kitao, 2009. "A Life Cycle Model of Trans-Atlantic Employment Experiences," 2009 Meeting Papers 914, Society for Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed011:602. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.