Youth Labor Market Outcomes: A Model with Learning on Match Quality
To investigate why young workers exhibit higher unemployment and separation rates, I extend the basic matching model of Pissarides by incorporating learning on match quality as Pries and Rogerson (2005). Match quality is heterogenous and is inferred from the output performance. Because matches revealed to be bad are dissolved, the separation risk decreases with job tenure. Within the framework, the specificity of youth only comes from their entry position on the labor market. Discrepancies between age-groups arise as young workers are mainly unemployed searching for their first job, or newly employed facing higher unemployment risks. The model, calibrated above French data, performs well in reproducing the intergenerational gap in worker separation and unemployment rates.
|Date of creation:||31 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neal, Derek, 1999.
"The Complexity of Job Mobility among Young Men,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 237-61, April.
- Wouter J. den Haan & Garey Ramey & Joel Watson, 1997.
"Job Destruction and Propagation of Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
6275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wouter Denhaan & Garey Ramey & Joel Watson, 1997. "FORTRAN code for Job Destruction and Propagation of Shocks," QM&RBC Codes 61, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Arnaud Ch�ron & Jean-Olivier Hairault & Fran�ois Langot, 2013.
"Life-Cycle Equilibrium Unemployment,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(4), pages 843 - 882.
- Chéron, Arnaud & Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Langot, François, 2011. "Life Cycle Equilibrium Unemployment," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1103, CEPREMAP.
- Chéron, Arnaud & Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Langot, François, 2008. "Life-Cycle Equilibrium Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 3396, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arnaud Chéron & Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot, 2013. "Life Cycle Equilibrium Unemployment," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00759471, HAL.
- Michael J. Pries, 2004.
"Persistence of Employment Fluctuations: A Model of Recurring Job Loss,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(1), pages 193-215.
- Michael J. Pries, 2004. "Persistence of Employment Fluctuations: A Model of Recurring Job Loss," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(1), pages 193-215.
- Renato Faccini, 2008.
"Reassessing Labor Market Reforms: Temporary Contracts as a Screening Device,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2008/27, European University Institute.
- Renato Faccini, 2014. "Reassessing Labour Market Reforms: Temporary Contracts as a Screening Device," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 124(575), pages 167-200, 03.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000.
"Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- repec:oup:restud:v:74:y:2007:i:2:p:537-566 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arthur J. Hosios, 1990. "On The Efficiency of Matching and Related Models of Search and Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(2), pages 279-298.
- Anne Bucher, 2010.
"The dynamics of youth labor market integration,"
TEPP Working Paper
- Thomas J. Sargent & Lars Ljungqvist & Sagiri Kitao, 2009. "A Life Cycle Model of Trans-Atlantic Employment Experiences," 2009 Meeting Papers 914, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Quintini, Glenda & Martin, John P. & Martin, Sébastien, 2007. "The Changing Nature of the School-to-Work Transition Process in OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 2582, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415.
- Michael Pries & Richard Rogerson, 2005. "Hiring Policies, Labor Market Institutions, and Labor Market Flows," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(4), pages 811-839, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2011027. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.