Identifying central bank liquidity super-spreaders in interbank funds networks
Evidence suggests that the Colombian interbank funds market is an inhomogeneous and hierarchical network in which a few financial institutions fulfill the role of “super-spreaders” of central bank liquidity among market participants. Results concur with evidence from other interbank markets and other financial networks regarding the flaws of traditional direct financial contagion models based on homogeneous and non-hierarchical networks, and provide further evidence about financial networks’ self-organization emerging from complex adaptive financial systems. Our research work contributes to central bank’s efforts by (i) examining and characterizing the actual connective structure of interbank funds networks; (ii) identifying those financial institutions that may be considered as the most important conduits for monetary policy transmission, and the main drivers of contagion risk within the interbank funds market; (iii) providing new elements for the implementation of monetary policy and for safeguarding financial stability.
|Date of creation:||28 Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Camilo González & Luisa Silva & Carmiña Vargas & Andrés M. Velasco, 2014.
"Uncertainty in the Money Supply Mechanism and Interbank Markets in Colombia,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, July.
- Camilo González & Luisa Silva & Carmiña Vargas & Andrés M. Velasco, 2013. "Uncertainty in the Money supply mechanism and interbank markets in Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 011094, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Camilo GOnzález & Luisa Silva & Carmiña Vargas & Andrés Velasco, 2013. "Uncertainty in the Money supply mechanism and interbank markets in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 790, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Battiston, Stefano & Gatti, Domenico Delli & Gallegati, Mauro & Greenwald, Bruce & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2012.
"Default cascades: When does risk diversification increase stability?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 138-149.
- Stefano Battiston & Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati & Bruce Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, . "Default Cascades: When Does Risk Diversification Increase Stability?," Working Papers ETH-RC-11-006, ETH Zurich, Chair of Systems Design.
- Cocco, João F. & Gomes, Francisco J. & Martins, Nuno C., 2009. "Lending relationships in the interbank market," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 24-48, January.
- Pamela cardozo Ortiz & carlos A. Huertas Campos & Julián A. Parra POlanía & Lina V. Patiño ECheverri, 2011.
"Mercado interbancario colombiano y manejo de liquidez del Banco de la República,"
Borradores de Economia
673, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Pamela A. Cardozo & Carlos A. Huertas C. & Julián A. Parra P. & Lina V. Patiño Echeverri, 2011. "Mercado interbancario colombiano y manejo de liquidez del Banco de la República," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009017, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Davide Fiaschi & Imre Kondor & Matteo Marsili, 2013.
"The Interrupted Power Law and The Size of Shadow Banking,"
2013/166, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Davide Fiaschi & Imre Kondor & Matteo Marsili & Valerio Volpati, 2013. "The Interrupted Power Law and The Size of Shadow Banking," Papers 1309.2130, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2014.
- Rodrigo Cifuentes & Hyun Song Shin & Gianluigi Ferrucci, 2005.
"Liquidity Risk and Contagion,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 556-566, 04/05.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007.
"The topology of interbank payment flows,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- Bech, Morten L. & Atalay, Enghin, 2010.
"The topology of the federal funds market,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 389(22), pages 5223-5246.
- Carlos León & Ron J. Berndsen, 2013.
"Modular scale-free architecture of Colombian financial networks: Evidence and challenges with financial stability in view,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
011104, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- carlos León & Ron J. Berndsen, 2013. "Modular scale-free architecture of Colombian financial networks: Evidence and challenges with financial stability in view," Borradores de Economia 799, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Douglas Gale, 2009.
"Interbank Market Liquidity and Central Bank Intervention,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2009/09, European University Institute.
- Allen, Franklin & Carletti, Elena & Gale, Douglas, 2009. "Interbank market liquidity and central bank intervention," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 639-652, July.
- Thomas Lux, Daniel Fricke, 2012. "Core-Periphery Structure in the Overnight Money Market: Evidence from the e-MID Trading Platform," Kiel Working Papers 1759, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 1996.
"Interbank lending and systemic risk,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 733-765.
- Co-Pierre Georg & Jenny Poschmann, 2010. "Systemic risk in a network model of interbank markets with central bank activity," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-033, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Markose, Sheri & Giansante, Simone & Shaghaghi, Ali Rais, 2012. "‘Too interconnected to fail’ financial network of US CDS market: Topological fragility and systemic risk," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 627-646.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000094:011187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.