Modular scale-free architecture of Colombian financial networks: Evidence and challenges with financial stability in view
Scale-free (inhomogeneous) connective structures with modular (highly clustered) hierarchies are ubiquitous in real–world networks. Evidence from the main Colombian payment and settlement systems verifies that local financial networks have self-organized into a modular scale-free architecture that favors everyday robustness and performance in exchange for rare episodes of fragility but rapid evolution. Results provide new elements for understanding and modeling the formation and structure of financial networks, and suggest new insights and challenges for authorities contributing to their stability. For instance, (i) the observed architecture suggests that financial systems are complex adaptive systems; (ii) complex adaptive features invalidate traditional reductionist assumptions for modeling financial systems (e.g. homogeneity, normality, static equilibrium, linearity); (iii) the observed modular scale-free architecture tends to limit cascades and isolate feedbacks; and (iv) with financial stability in view, authorities should understand and take advantage of the existing architecture by means of designing and implementing macro-prudential regulation and system-calibrated requirements. Yet, the quest for discovering, explaining and handling the emerging structure of financial systems is an enduring task.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.org/publicaciones/pub_borra.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Lux, Daniel Fricke, 2012. "Core-Periphery Structure in the Overnight Money Market: Evidence from the e-MID Trading Platform," Kiel Working Papers 1759, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bech, Morten L. & Atalay, Enghin, 2010.
"The topology of the federal funds market,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 389(22), pages 5223-5246.
- Gilmore, Claire G. & Lucey, Brian M. & Boscia, Marian W., 2010. "Comovements in government bond markets: A minimum spanning tree analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(21), pages 4875-4886.
- Battiston, Stefano & Gatti, Domenico Delli & Gallegati, Mauro & Greenwald, Bruce & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2012.
"Default cascades: When does risk diversification increase stability?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 138-149.
- Stefano Battiston & Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati & Bruce Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, . "Default Cascades: When Does Risk Diversification Increase Stability?," Working Papers ETH-RC-11-006, ETH Zurich, Chair of Systems Design.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno M. Parigi & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2000.
"Systemic risk, interbank relations, and liquidity provision by the central bank,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 611-640.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno M & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2000. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations, and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 611-38, August.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1999. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 2325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- X. Freixas & B. Parigi & J-C. Rochet, 2000. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by theCentral Bank," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 47, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi & Jean Charles Rochet, 1998. "Systemic risk, interbank relations and liquidity provision by the Central Bank," Economics Working Papers 440, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 1999.
- Nier, Erlend & Yang, Jing & Yorulmazer, Tanju & Alentorn, Amadeo, 2008.
"Network models and financial stability,"
Bank of England working papers
346, Bank of England.
- Kimmo Soramaki & Morten L. Bech & Jeffrey Arnold & Robert J. Glass & Walter Beyeler, 2006.
"The topology of interbank payment flows,"
243, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- Carlos Eduardo León & Andrés Murcia, 2012.
"Systemic Importance Index for financial institutions: A Principal Component Analysis approach,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
010067, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carlos León & Andrés Murcia, 2012. "Systemic Importance Index for financial institutions: A Principal Component Analysis approach," Borradores de Economia 741, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3955464 is not listed on IDEAS
- Naylor, Michael J. & Rose, Lawrence C. & Moyle, Brendan J., 2007.
"Topology of foreign exchange markets using hierarchical structure methods,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 382(1), pages 199-208.
- Michael J. Naylor & Lawrence C. Rose & Brendan J. Moyle, 2006. "Topology of Foreign Exchange Markets using Hierarchical Structure Methods," Papers physics/0608084, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2006.
- Carlos Léon & Clara Machado & Freddy Cepeda & Miguel Sarmiento, .
"Too-connected-to-fail Institutions and Payments System’s Stability: Assessing Challenges for Financial Authorities,"
Borradores de Economia
644, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carlos León & Clara Machado & Freddy cepeda & Miguel Sarmiento, 2011. "Too-connected-to-fail Institutions and Payments System´s Stability: Assessing Challenges for Financial Authorities," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 008155, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Markose, Sheri & Giansante, Simone & Shaghaghi, Ali Rais, 2012. "‘Too interconnected to fail’ financial network of US CDS market: Topological fragility and systemic risk," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 627-646.
- Iori, Giulia & Jafarey, Saqib & Padilla, Francisco G., 2006. "Systemic risk on the interbank market," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 525-542, December.
- F. Kyriakopoulos & S. Thurner & C. Puhr & S. W. Schmitz, 2009. "Network and eigenvalue analysis of financial transaction networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 71(4), pages 523-531, October.
- Berndsen, R.J., 2011. "What is Happening in Scrooge Digiduck's Warehouse?," Other publications TiSEM 4ab1c0bb-a3d9-4467-907a-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Gianni De NicolÃ³ & Giovanni Favara & Lev Ratnovski, 2012. "Externalities and Macroprudential Policy," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 12/05, International Monetary Fund.
- G. Bonanno & G. Caldarelli & F. Lillo & S. Micciché & N. Vandewalle & R. Mantegna, 2004.
"Networks of equities in financial markets,"
The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems,
Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 363-371, 03.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "New Methods in Statistical Economics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 421.
- Berndsen, R.J., 1992. "Qualitative reasoning and knowledge representation in economic models," Other publications TiSEM 81fd6886-b744-4c37-9dac-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Samuel G. Hanson & Anil K. Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 2011. "A Macroprudential Approach to Financial Regulation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 3-28, Winter.
- Carlos León & Clara Machado, .
"Designing an expert knowledge-based Systemic Importance Index for financial institutions,"
Borradores de Economia
669, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carlos Léon & Clara Machado, 2011. "Designing an expert knowledge-based Systemic Importance Index for financial institutions," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 008953, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Sheri M. Markose, 2012. "Systemic Risk from Global Financial Derivatives; A Network Analysis of Contagion and Its Mitigation with Super-Spreader Tax," IMF Working Papers 12/282, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:799. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.