The topology of the federal funds market
We explore the network topology of the federal funds market. This market is important for distributing liquidity throughout the financial system and for the implementation of monetary policy. The recent turmoil in global financial markets underscores its importance. We find that the network is sparse, exhibits the small-world phenomenon, and is disassortative. Centrality measures are useful predictors of the interest rate of a loan.
Volume (Year): 389 (2010)
Issue (Month): 22 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 2000.
"The determinants of cross-border equity flows,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20203, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 2001. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," DELTA Working Papers 2001-08, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 2225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes, 2005. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," Post-Print halshs-00754100, HAL.
- R Portes & H Rey, 2000. "The Determinants Of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEP Discussion Papers dp0446, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," NBER Working Papers 7336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hajime Inaoka & Takuto Ninomiya & Ken Taniguchi & Tokiko Shimizu & Hideki Takayasu, 2004. "Fractal Network derived from banking transaction -- An analysis of network structures formed by financial institutions --," Bank of Japan Working Paper Series 04-E-4, Bank of Japan.
- Kimmo Soramaki & Morten L. Bech & Jeffrey Arnold & Robert J. Glass & Walter E. Beyeler, 2006.
"The topology of interbank payment flows,"
243, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1998.
98-33, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Rosati, Simonetta & Secola, Stefania, 2005. "Explaining cross-border large-value payment flows: evidence from TARGET and EURO 1 data," Working Paper Series 0443, European Central Bank.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Selva Demiralp & Brian Preslopsky & William C. Whitesell, 2004.
"Overnight interbank loan markets,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2004-29, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen, Linda & Peristiani, Stavros & Saunders, Anthony, 1989. "Bank Size, Collateral, and Net Purchase Behavior in the Federal Funds Market: Empirical Evidence," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(4), pages 501-515, October.
- Iori, G. & Masi, G. D. & Precup, O. V. & Gabbi, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2005.
"A network analysis of the Italian oversight money market,"
05/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Iori, Giulia & De Masi, Giulia & Precup, Ovidiu Vasile & Gabbi, Giampaolo & Caldarelli, Guido, 2008. "A network analysis of the Italian overnight money market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 259-278, January.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Hilton, Spence & McAndrews, James J., 2010.
"Settlement delays in the money market,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 934-945, May.
- Allen, Linda & Saunders, Anthony, 1986. "The large-small bank dichotomy in the federal funds market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 219-230, June.
- Ann-Marie Meulendyke, 1998. "U.S. monetary policy and financial markets," Monograph, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, number 1998mpaf.
- Cajueiro, Daniel O. & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2008.
"The role of banks in the Brazilian interbank market: Does bank type matter?,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 387(27), pages 6825-6836.
- Daniel O. Cajueiro & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2007. "The role of banks in the Brazilian Interbank Market: Does bank type matter?," Working Papers Series 130, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Saunders, Anthony, 1985. " A Micro Model of the Federal Funds Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 977-988, July.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Svenja Gudell & R. Spence Hilton & Krista B. Schwarz, 2005. "Intraday trading in the overnight federal funds market," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 11(Nov).
- Michael Boss & Helmut Elsinger & Martin Summer & Stefan Thurner, 2004. "Network topology of the interbank market," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(6), pages 677-684.
- Kirsten Bonde Rørdam & Morten Linnemann Bech, 2008. "The Topology of Danish Interbank Money Flows," FRU Working Papers 2009/01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Finance Research Unit.
- Douglas M. Gale & Shachar Kariv, 2007. "Financial Networks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 99-103, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:389:y:2010:i:22:p:5223-5246. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.