Overnight interbank loan markets
This paper investigates transactions and interest rates on brokered and direct trades in federal funds, Eurodollar transactions, and repurchase agreements, all of which are used by banks in overnight funding. We expand on earlier work on calendar-day effects in these markets, investigating also volumes of funding in recent years. Our data include daily trades in federal funds reported by major brokers and also records of uncollateralized transactions over the wire transfer system operated by the Federal Reserve. We find that the share of the overnight interbank loan market represented by brokered fed funds has decreased and is now only about one-third of the total. We also show evidence of close but incomplete arbitrage among the major segments of the overnight interbank market, though the specific calendar day patterns of spreads and volatilities have evolved relative to the literature using earlier sample periods.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20551|
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/fedsorder.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Griffiths, Mark D. & Winters, Drew B., 1995. "Day-of-the-week effects in federal funds rates: Further empirical findings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1265-1284, October.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Ken B. Cyree & Drew B. Winters, 2001. "Analysis Of Federal Funds Rate Changes And Variance Patterns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 24(3), pages 403-418, 09.
- Cyree, Ken B & Winters, Drew B, 2001. "Analysis of Federal Funds Rate Changes and Variance Patterns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 24(3), pages 403-418, Fall.
- Ken B. Cyree & Mark D. Griffiths & Drew B. Winters, 2003. "On the pervasive effects of Federal Reserve settlement regulations," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 27-46.
- John B. Taylor, 2001. "Expectations, open market operations, and changes in the federal funds rate," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 33-58.
- Lee, Young-Sook, 2003. "The Federal funds market and the overnight Eurodollar market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 749-771, April.
- Demiralp, Selva & Farley, Dennis, 2005.
"Declining required reserves, funds rate volatility, and open market operations,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1131-1152, May.
- Selva Demiralp & Dennis Farley, 2003. "Declining required reserves, funds rate volatility, and open market operations," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-27, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Marvin Goodfriend & William Whelpley, 1998. "Federal funds," Monograph, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, number 1998f, January.
- James J. McAndrews & Samira Rajan, 2000. "The timing and funding of Fedwire funds transfers," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 17-32.
- Furfine, Craig H, 2003. " Interbank Exposures: Quantifying the Risk of Contagion," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(1), pages 111-128, February.
- Stacy Panigay Coleman, 2002. "The evolution of the Federal Reserve's intraday credit policies," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Feb, pages 67-84.
- Mark D. Griffiths & Drew B. Winters, 1997. "The Effect of Federal Reserve Accounting Rules on the Equilibrium Level of Overnight Repo Rates," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 815-832. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgfe:2004-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Franz Osorio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.