Operational outages and aggregate uncertainty in the federal funds market
This paper uses operational problems at depository institutions in sending Fedwire payments as a proxy for aggregate uncertainty in end-of-day Fed account positions and then examines funds market behavior on those days. The results suggest that increased uncertainty is associated with a deviation of the federal funds rate from the Federal Open Market Committee's (FOMC's) target rate; the magnitude depends on the severity of the difficulty, the payment volume of the affected participant, and the time of day. The intraday standard deviation of the federal funds rate is also affected by operational outages. Moreover, extensions to Fedwire are more likely on days with possible outages, and discount window borrowing picks up on these days as well.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demiralp, Selva & Preslopsky, Brian & Whitesell, William, 2006.
"Overnight interbank loan markets,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 67-83.
- Roberds, William & Runkle, David & Whiteman, Charles H, 1996. "A Daily View of Yield Spreads and Short-Term Interest Rate Movements," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 34-53, February.
- Hamilton, James D, 1997.
"Measuring the Liquidity Effect,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 80-97, March.
- Merrouche, Ouarda & Schanz, Jochen, 2009.
"Banks' intraday liquidity management during operational outages: theory and evidence from the UK payment system,"
Bank of England working papers
370, Bank of England.
- Merrouche, Ouarda & Schanz, Jochen, 2010. "Banks' intraday liquidity management during operational outages: Theory and evidence from the UK payment system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 314-323, February.
- Lacker, Jeffrey M., 2004.
"Payment system disruptions and the federal reserve following September 11, 2001,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 935-965, July.
- Jeffrey M. Lacker, 2003. "Payment system disruptions and the Federal Reserve following September 11, 2001," Working Paper 03-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- R. Spence Hilton, 2005. "Trends in federal funds rate volatility," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 11(Jul).
- Kotomin, Vladimir & Winters, Drew B., 2007. "The impact of the return to lagged reserve requirements on the federal funds market," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 111-129.
- Adam B. Ashcraft & Darrell Duffie, 2007. "Systemic Illiquidity in the Federal Funds Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 221-225, May.
- John B. Taylor, 2001. "Expectations, open market operations, and changes in the federal funds rate," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 33-58.
- Brian Madigan & William R. Nelson, 2002. "Proposed revision to the Federal Reserve's discount window lending programs," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jul, pages 313-319.
- Nautz, Dieter & Schmidt, Sandra, 2009.
"Monetary policy implementation and the federal funds rate,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1274-1284, July.
- Nautz, Dieter & Schmidt, Sandra, 2008. "Monetary Policy Implementation and the Federal Funds Rate," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-025, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Selva Demiralp & Erhan Artuç, 2007.
"Discount Window Borrowing after 2003: The Explicit Reduction in Implicit Costs,"
Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
0708, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Artuç, Erhan & Demiralp, Selva, 2010. "Discount window borrowing after 2003: The explicit reduction in implicit costs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 825-833, April.
- Ranaldo, Angelo, 2009.
"Segmentation and time-of-day patterns in foreign exchange markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2199-2206, December.
- Angelo Ranaldo, 2007. "Segmentation and Time-of-Day Patterns in Foreign Exchange Markets," Working Papers 2007-03, Swiss National Bank.
- Furfine, Craig H., 2000. "Interbank payments and the daily federal funds rate," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 535-553, October.
- William Poole, 1968. "Commercial Bank Reserve Management In A Stochastic Model: Implications For Monetary Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(5), pages 769-791, December.
- Selva Demiralp & Dennis Farley, 2003.
"Declining required reserves, funds rate volatility, and open market operations,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2003-27, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Demiralp, Selva & Farley, Dennis, 2005. "Declining required reserves, funds rate volatility, and open market operations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1131-1152, May.
- Gaspar, Vítor & Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Rodríguez Mendizábal, Hugo, 2008. "Interest rate dispersion and volatility in the market for daily funds," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 413-440, April.
- Seth B. Carpenter & Selva Demiralp, 2004.
"The liquidity effect in the federal funds market: evidence from daily open market operations,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2004-61, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carpenter, Seth & Demiralp, Selva, 2006. "The Liquidity Effect in the Federal Funds Market: Evidence from Daily Open Market Operations," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(4), pages 901-920, June.
- Clouse, James A. & Dow Jr., James P., 1999. "Fixed costs and the behavior of the federal funds rate," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1015-1029, July.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:34:y:2010:i:10:p:2386-2402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.