Money Market Integration
We use transaction-level data and detailed modeling of the high-frequency behavior of federal funds-Eurodollar spreads to provide evidence of strong integration of the U.S. markets for federal funds and Eurodollars, the two core components of the dollar money market. Our evidence of negligible federal funds-Eurodollar premia contrasts with previous findings of large and predictable premia, which have been interpreted as evidence of segmentation "between" the markets for federal funds and Eurodollars. Our results, however, are consistent with possible persistent segmentation "within" the global Eurodollar market. We document several patterns in the behavior of federal funds-Eurodollar spreads, including liquidity effects from trading volume to yield spreads' volatility. Copyright 2008 The Ohio State University.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison Hong & Jiang Wang, 2000. "Trading and Returns under Periodic Market Closures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 297-354, 02.
- Cyree, Ken B & Winters, Drew B, 2001. "Analysis of Federal Funds Rate Changes and Variance Patterns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 24(3), pages 403-18, Fall.
- Griffiths, Mark D. & Winters, Drew B., 1995. "Day-of-the-week effects in federal funds rates: Further empirical findings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1265-1284, October.
- Ken B. Cyree & Mark D. Griffiths & Drew B. Winters, 2003. "On the pervasive effects of Federal Reserve settlement regulations," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 27-46.
- Ken B. Cyree & Drew B. Winters, 2001. "Analysis Of Federal Funds Rate Changes And Variance Patterns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 24(3), pages 403-418, 09.
- Balduzzi, Pierluigi, et al, 1998.
"Interest Rate Targeting and the Dynamics of Short-Term Rates,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(1), pages 26-50, February.
- Pierluigi Balduzzi & Giuseppe Bertola & Silverio Foresi & Leora Klapper, 1997. "Interest Rate Targeting and the Dynamics of Short-Term Rates," NBER Working Papers 5944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Lund, Jesper, 1997. "Estimating continuous-time stochastic volatility models of the short-term interest rate," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 343-377, April.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2002.
"Day-to-Day Monetary Policy and the Volatility of the Federal Funds Interest Rate,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 137-59, February.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertola & Alessandro Prati, 2000. "Day-to-day monetary policy and the volatility of the federal funds interest rate," Staff Reports 110, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Alessandro Prati & Giuseppe Bertola & Leonardo Bartolini, 2000. "Day-To-Day Monetary Policy and the Volatility of the Federal Funds Interest Rate," IMF Working Papers 00/206, International Monetary Fund.
- Selva Demiralp & Brian Preslopsky & William Whitesell, 2004.
"Overnight interbank loan markets,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2004-29, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Lee, Young-Sook, 2003. "The Federal funds market and the overnight Eurodollar market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 749-771, April.
- Rhee, S Ghon & Chang, Rosita P, 1992. " Intra-day Arbitrage Opportunities in Foreign Exchange and Eurocurrency Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 363-79, March.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:40:y:2008:i:1:p:193-213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.