Reserve levels and intraday federal funds rate behavior
We analyze the impact of aggregate reserve levels on the intraday behavior of the federal funds rate over a sample period extending from 2002 to 2005. We study both how the reserve levels accumulated earlier in a maintenance period influence the morning level of the funds rate relative to the target set by the FOMC, and how same-day reserve levels as well as the reserve levels accumulated earlier affect intraday movements of the funds rate. The impact of recurring calendar events on the behavior of the federal funds rate is also explored. In general, we find a negative relationship between our measures of reserve levels and our two measures of federal funds rate behavior.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 33 Liberty Street, New York, NY 10045-0001|
Web page: http://www.newyorkfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.ny.frb.org/rmaghome/staff_rp/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leonardo Bartolini & Spence Hilton & Alessandro Prati, 2008.
"Money Market Integration,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(1), pages 193-213, 02.
- Leonardo Bartolini & R. Spence Hilton & Alessandro Prati, 2005. "Money market integration," Staff Reports 227, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Leonardo Bartolini & R. Spence Hilton & Alessandro Prati, 2006. "Money Market Integration," IMF Working Papers 06/207, International Monetary Fund.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993. "On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks," Staff Report 157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Carpenter, Seth & Demiralp, Selva, 2006. "The Liquidity Effect in the Federal Funds Market: Evidence from Daily Open Market Operations," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(4), pages 901-920, June.
- Seth B. Carpenter & Selva Demiralp, 2004. "The liquidity effect in the federal funds market: evidence from daily open market operations," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-61, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Leonardo Bartolini & Svenja Gudell & R. Spence Hilton & Krista B. Schwarz, 2005. "Intraday trading in the overnight federal funds market," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 11(Nov). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fednsr:284. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.