Intraday trading in the overnight federal funds market
Transaction-level data for the federal funds market provide a rare look at the intraday behavior of trade volume and prices. An analysis of the data reveals that trade volume exhibits large swings over the course of the day while prices remain fairly stable, with rate volatility rising sharply only in the late afternoon. The analysis underscores the important role played by institutional deadlines-most notably, the close of trading-in driving movements in this market.
Volume (Year): 11 (2005)
Issue (Month): Nov ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.newyorkfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Abhyankar & D. Ghosh & E. Levin & R.J. Limmack, 1997.
"Bid-ask Spreads, Trading Volume and Volatility: Intra-day Evidence from the London Stock Exchange,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 343-362.
- A Abhyankar & D Ghosh & E Levin & R J Limmack, 1995. "Bid-Ask Spreads, Trading Volume and Volatility: Intraday Evidence from the London Stock Exchange," Working Papers Series 95/11, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Wood, Robert A & McInish, Thomas H & Ord, J Keith, 1985. " An Investigation of Transactions Data for NYSE Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 723-39, July.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1992. "Stock Prices and Volume," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 199-242.
- Selva Demiralp & Brian Preslopsky & William Whitesell, 2004.
"Overnight interbank loan markets,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2004-29, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brock, William A. & Kleidon, Allan W., 1992. "Periodic market closure and trading volume : A model of intraday bids and asks," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 451-489.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fednci:y:2005:i:nov:n:v.11no.11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.