Implicit intraday interest rate in the UK unsecured overnight money market
This paper estimates the intraday value of money implicit in the UK unsecured overnight money market. Using transactions data on overnight loans advanced through the UK large-value payments system (CHAPS) in 2003-09, we find a positive and economically significant intraday interest rate. While the implicit intraday interest rate is quite small pre-crisis, it increases more than tenfold during the financial crisis of 2007-09. The key interpretation is that an increase in the implicit intraday interest rate reflects the increased opportunity cost of pledging collateral intraday and can be used as an indicator to gauge the stress of the payment system. We obtain qualitatively similar estimates of the intraday interest rate using quoted intraday bid and offer rates and confirm that our results are not driven by the intraday variation in the bid-ask spread.
|Date of creation:||19 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Publications Group Bank of England Threadneedle Street London EC2R 8AH|
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Haslag, Joseph H. & Martin, Antoine, 2009.
"Why does overnight liquidity cost more than intraday liquidity?,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1236-1246, June.
- Joydeep Bhattacharya & Joseph H. Haslag & Antoine Martin, 2007. "Why does overnight liquidity cost more than intraday liquidity?," Staff Reports 281, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Haslag, Joseph & Martin, Antoine, 2007. "Why Does Overnight Liquidity Cost More Than Intraday Liquidity?," Staff General Research Papers 13096, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Clews, Roger & Salmon, Chris & Weeken, Olaf, 2010. "The Bank's money market framework," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 50(4), pages 292-301.
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Rocholl, Jörg, 2011.
"The price of liquidity: the effects of market conditions and bank characteristics,"
Working Paper Series
1376, European Central Bank.
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Rocholl, Jörg, 2011. "The price of liquidity: The effects of market conditions and bank characteristics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 344-362.
- Bech, Morten L. & Garratt, Rod, 2003.
"The intraday liquidity management game,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 198-219, April.
- Bech, Morten L. & Garratt, Rod, 2001. "The Intraday Liquidity Management Game," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt0m6035wg, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Chao Gu & Joseph H. Haslag & Mark Guzman, 2010.
"Production, Hidden Action, and the Payment System,"
1004, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Martin, Antoine, 2004.
"Optimal pricing of intraday liquidity,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 401-424, March.
- Jamie McAndrews & Antoine Martin, 2007.
"Liquidity saving mechanisms,"
2007 Meeting Papers
165, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- ANTOINE MARTIN & JAMES McANDREWS, 2010.
"Should There Be Intraday Money Markets?,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(1), pages 110-122, 01.
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2010.
"Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Inter-Bank Markets: Evidence from the Sub-prime Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
16395, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2013. "Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Interbank Markets: Evidence from the Subprime Crisis," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 17(1), pages 107-160.
- Acharya, Viral V & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2012. "Precautionary hoarding of liquidity and inter-bank markets: Evidence from the sub-prime crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 8859, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huberto M. Ennis & John A. Weinberg, 2007. "Interest on reserves and daylight credit," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 111-142.
- Sébastien Kraenzlin & Thomas Nellen, 2010.
"Daytime Is Money,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(8), pages 1689-1702, December.
- Wetherilt, Anne & Zimmerman, Peter & Soramaki, Kimmo, 2010. "The sterling unsecured loan market during 2006-08: insights from network theory," Bank of England working papers 398, Bank of England.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Svenja Gudell & R. Spence Hilton & Krista B. Schwarz, 2005. "Intraday trading in the overnight federal funds market," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 11(Nov).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:0447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.