Implicit intraday interest rate in the UK unsecured overnight money market
This paper estimates the intraday value of money implicit in the UK unsecured overnight money market. Using transactions data on overnight loans advanced through the UK large-value payments system (CHAPS) in 2003-09, we find a positive and economically significant intraday interest rate. While the implicit intraday interest rate is quite small pre-crisis, it increases more than tenfold during the financial crisis of 2007-09. The key interpretation is that an increase in the implicit intraday interest rate reflects the increased opportunity cost of pledging collateral intraday and can be used as an indicator to gauge the stress of the payment system. We obtain qualitatively similar estimates of the intraday interest rate using quoted intraday bid and offer rates and confirm that our results are not driven by the intraday variation in the bid-ask spread.
|Date of creation:||19 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London, EC2R 8AH|
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clews, Roger & Salmon, Chris & Weeken, Olaf, 2010. "The Bank's money market framework," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 50(4), pages 292-301.
- Sébastien Kraenzlin & Thomas Nellen, 2010.
"Daytime is money,"
2010-06, Swiss National Bank.
- Joydeep Bhattacharya & Joseph H. Haslag & Antoine Martin, 2007.
"Why does overnight liquidity cost more than intraday liquidity?,"
281, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Haslag, Joseph H. & Martin, Antoine, 2009. "Why does overnight liquidity cost more than intraday liquidity?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1236-1246, June.
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Haslag, Joseph & Martin, Antoine, 2007. "Why Does Overnight Liquidity Cost More Than Intraday Liquidity?," Staff General Research Papers 13096, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Svenja Gudell & R. Spence Hilton & Krista B. Schwarz, 2005. "Intraday trading in the overnight federal funds market," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 11(Nov).
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Rocholl, Jörg, 2011.
"The price of liquidity: The effects of market conditions and bank characteristics,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 344-362.
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Rocholl, Jörg, 2011. "The price of liquidity: the effects of market conditions and bank characteristics," Working Paper Series 1376, European Central Bank.
- Jamie McAndrews & Antoine Martin, 2007.
"Liquidity saving mechanisms,"
2007 Meeting Papers
165, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bech, Morten L. & Garratt, Rod, 2003.
"The intraday liquidity management game,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 198-219, April.
- Bech, Morten L. & Garratt, Rod, 2001. "The Intraday Liquidity Management Game," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt0m6035wg, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2013.
"Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Interbank Markets: Evidence from the Subprime Crisis,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 17(1), pages 107-160.
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2010. "Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Inter-Bank Markets: Evidence from the Sub-prime Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16395, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acharya, Viral V & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2012. "Precautionary hoarding of liquidity and inter-bank markets: Evidence from the sub-prime crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 8859, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huberto M. Ennis & John A. Weinberg, 2007. "Interest on reserves and daylight credit," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 111-142.
- Chao Gu & Joseph H. Haslag & Mark Guzman, 2010.
"Production, Hidden Action, and the Payment System,"
1004, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Antoine Martin, 2002.
"Optimal pricing of intra-day liquidity,"
Research Working Paper
RWP 02-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- ANTOINE MARTIN & JAMES McANDREWS, 2010.
"Should There Be Intraday Money Markets?,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(1), pages 110-122, 01.
- Wetherilt, Anne & Zimmerman, Peter & Soramaki, Kimmo, 2010. "The sterling unsecured loan market during 2006-08: insights from network theory," Bank of England working papers 398, Bank of England.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:0447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Media Team)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.