Convenient links for the estimation of hedonic price indexes:the case of unique, infrequently traded assets
Hedonic methods are a prominent approach in the construction of quality-adjusted price indexes. This paper shows that the process of computing such indexes is substantially simplified if arithmetic (geometric) price indexes are computed based on exponential (log-linear) hedonic functions estimated by the Poisson pseudo maximum likelihood (ordinary least squares) method. A Monte Carlo simulation study based on housing data illustrates the convenience of the links identified and the very attractive properties of the Poisson estimator in the hedonic framework.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (351) 266 740 869
Web page: http://www.cefage.uevora.ptEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James J. Fogarty & Callum Jones, 2011.
"Return To Wine: A Comparison Of The Hedonic, Repeat Sales And Hybrid Approaches,"
Australian Economic Papers,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 147-156, December.
- Fogarty, James Joseph & Jones, Callum, 2011. "Return to wine: A comparison of the hedonic, repeat sales, and hybrid approaches," Working Papers 108668, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Stevenson, Simon, 2004. "New empirical evidence on heteroscedasticity in hedonic housing models," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 136-153, June.
- Chanel, O. & Gerard, L.A. & Ginsburgh, V., 1992.
"The Relevence of Hedonic Price Indices the Case of Paintings,"
92a19, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Olivier Chanel & Louis-André Gérard-Varlet & Victor Ginsburgh, 1996. "The relevance of hedonic price indices: the case of paintings," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1715, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- J.C.M. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2011.
"poisson: Some convergence issues,"
Economics Discussion Papers
695, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Chanel, O. & Gérard-Varet, L.-A. & Ginsburgh, V., .
"The relevance of hedonic price indices,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1222, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anglin, Paul M & Gencay, Ramazan, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Hedonic Price Function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 633-48, Nov.-Dec..
- Orley Ashenfelter & Kathryn Graddy, 2003.
"Auctions and the Price of Art,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 41(3), pages 763-787, September.
- Ariel Pakes, 2003.
"A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indexes with an Application to PC's,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1578-1596, December.
- Ariel Pakes, 2002. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indices with an Application to PC's," NBER Working Papers 8715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nauro F. Campos & Renata Leite Barbosa, 2009.
"Paintings and numbers: an econometric investigation of sales rates, prices, and returns in Latin American art auctions,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 61(1), pages 28-51, January.
- Campos, Nauro F & Leite Barbosa, Renata, 2008. "Paintings and Numbers: An Econometric Investigation of Sales Rates, Prices and Returns in Latin American Art Auctions," IZA Discussion Papers 3445, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barbosa, Renata Leite & Campos, Nauro F, 2008. "Paintings and Numbers: An Econometric Investigation of Sales Rates, Prices and Returns in Latin American Art Auctions," CEPR Discussion Papers 6806, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M. Fletcher & P. Gallimore & J. Mangan, 2000. "Heteroscedasticity in hedonic house price models," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 93-108, January.
- Dorsey, Robert E. & Hu, Haixin & Mayer, Walter J. & Wang, Hui-chen, 2010. "Hedonic versus repeat-sales housing price indexes for measuring the recent boom-bust cycle," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 75-93, June.
- Manning, Willard G. & Mullahy, John, 2001.
"Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 461-494, July.
- Willard G. Manning & John Mullahy, 1999. "Estimating Log Models: To Transform or Not to Transform?," NBER Technical Working Papers 0246, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Hill, 2013. "Hedonic Price Indexes For Residential Housing: A Survey, Evaluation And Taxonomy," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5), pages 879-914, December.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1992.
"Some Alternatives to the Box-Cox Regression Model,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(4), pages 935-55, November.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002.
"Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001),"
Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles,
Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Reis, Hugo J. & Santos Silva, J.M.C., 2006. "Hedonic prices indexes for new passenger cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 890-908, December.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Working Papers w200210, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C. Santos Silva, 2003. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997- 2001)," Econometrics 0303003, EconWPA.
- Stephen Malpezzi & Gregory H. Chun & Richard K. Green, 1998. "New Place-to-Place Housing Price Indexes for U.S. Metropolitan Areas, and Their Determinants," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 235-274.
- Robert J. Hill & Daniel Melser, 2008. "Hedonic Imputation And The Price Index Problem: An Application To Housing," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(4), pages 593-609, October.
- Eurostat, 2013. "Handbook on Residential Property Prices Indices," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 17280, March.
- Patrick Georges & Aylin Seçkin, 2012. "Auction Prices of Classical Music Manuscripts – A Hedonic Approach," Working Papers 1202E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2011. "Alternative Approaches to Measuring House Price Inflation," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2011-1, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 07 Jan 2011.
- Collins, Alan & Scorcu, Antonello & Zanola, Roberto, 2009. "Reconsidering hedonic art price indexes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 57-60, August.
- José M.R. Murteira & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho, 2013. "Regression Analysis of Multivariate Fractional Data," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_05, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfe:wpcefa:2014_01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.