Convenient links for the estimation of hedonic price indexes:the case of unique, infrequently traded assets
Hedonic methods are a prominent approach in the construction of quality-adjusted price indexes. This paper shows that the process of computing such indexes is substantially simplified if arithmetic (geometric) price indexes are computed based on exponential (log-linear) hedonic functions estimated by the Poisson pseudo maximum likelihood (ordinary least squares) method. A Monte Carlo simulation study based on housing data illustrates the convenience of the links identified and the very attractive properties of the Poisson estimator in the hedonic framework.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (351) 266 740 869
Web page: http://www.cefage.uevora.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kathryn Graddy & Orley Ashenfelter, 2002.
"Auctions and the Price of Art,"
Economics Series Working Papers
131, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ariel Pakes, 2002.
"A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indices with an Application to PC's,"
NBER Working Papers
8715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ariel Pakes, 2003. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indexes with an Application to PC's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1578-1596, December.
- Fogarty, James Joseph & Jones, Callum, 2011.
"Return to wine: A comparison of the hedonic, repeat sales, and hybrid approaches,"
108668, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- James J. Fogarty & Callum Jones, 2011. "Return To Wine: A Comparison Of The Hedonic, Repeat Sales And Hybrid Approaches," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 147-156, December.
- M. Fletcher & P. Gallimore & J. Mangan, 2000. "Heteroscedasticity in hedonic house price models," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 93-108, January.
- Patrick Georges & Aylin Seçkin, 2012. "Auction Prices of Classical Music Manuscripts – A Hedonic Approach," Working Papers 1202E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002.
"Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001),"
Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles,
Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Reis, Hugo J. & Santos Silva, J.M.C., 2006. "Hedonic prices indexes for new passenger cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 890-908, December.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C. Santos Silva, 2003. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997- 2001)," Econometrics 0303003, EconWPA.
- Hugo J. Reis & J.M.C.Santos Silva, 2002. "Hedonic Prices Indexes for New Passenger Cars in Portugal (1997-2001)," Working Papers w200210, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Campos, Nauro F & Leite Barbosa, Renata, 2008.
"Paintings and Numbers: An Econometric Investigation of Sales Rates, Prices and Returns in Latin American Art Auctions,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3445, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nauro F. Campos & Renata Leite Barbosa, 2009. "Paintings and numbers: an econometric investigation of sales rates, prices, and returns in Latin American art auctions," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(1), pages 28-51, January.
- Barbosa, Renata Leite & Campos, Nauro F, 2008. "Paintings and Numbers: An Econometric Investigation of Sales Rates, Prices and Returns in Latin American Art Auctions," CEPR Discussion Papers 6806, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wooldridge, J.M., 1989.
"Some Aleternative To The Box-Cox Regression Model,"
534, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Chanel, O. & Gérard-Varet, L.-A. & Ginsburgh, V., .
"The relevance of hedonic price indices,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1222, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- José M.R. Murteira & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho, 2013. "Regression Analysis of Multivariate Fractional Data," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_05, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Diewert, Erwin, 2011. "Alternative Approaches to Measuring House Price Inflation," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2011-1, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 07 Jan 2011.
- Stevenson, Simon, 2004. "New empirical evidence on heteroscedasticity in hedonic housing models," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 136-153, June.
- Stephen Malpezzi & Gregory H. Chun & Richard K. Green, 1998. "New Place-to-Place Housing Price Indexes for U.S. Metropolitan Areas, and Their Determinants," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 235-274.
- Eurostat, 2013. "Handbook on Residential Property Prices Indices," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 17280, August.
- Anglin, Paul M & Gencay, Ramazan, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Hedonic Price Function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 633-48, Nov.-Dec..
- Manning, Willard G. & Mullahy, John, 2001.
"Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 461-494, July.
- Willard G. Manning & John Mullahy, 1999. "Estimating Log Models: To Transform or Not to Transform?," NBER Technical Working Papers 0246, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Chanel & Louis-André Gérard-Varlet & Victor Ginsburgh, 1996.
"The relevance of hedonic price indices: the case of paintings,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/1715, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chanel, O. & Gerard, L.A. & Ginsburgh, V., 1992. "The Relevence of Hedonic Price Indices the Case of Paintings," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 92a19, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Robert J. Hill & Daniel Melser, 2008. "Hedonic Imputation And The Price Index Problem: An Application To Housing," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(4), pages 593-609, October.
- J.C.M. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2011.
"poisson: Some convergence issues,"
Economics Discussion Papers
695, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Collins, Alan & Scorcu, Antonello & Zanola, Roberto, 2009. "Reconsidering hedonic art price indexes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 57-60, August.
- Robert J. Hill, 2013. "Hedonic Price Indexes For Residential Housing: A Survey, Evaluation And Taxonomy," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5), pages 879-914, December.
- Dorsey, Robert E. & Hu, Haixin & Mayer, Walter J. & Wang, Hui-chen, 2010. "Hedonic versus repeat-sales housing price indexes for measuring the recent boom-bust cycle," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 75-93, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfe:wpcefa:2014_01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.