Age, Time, Vintage, and Price Indexes: Measuring the Depreciation Pattern of Houses
Age, time and vintage are key determinants of house prices, yet they cannot be included together linearly or as dichotomous variables in hedonic regressions as construction time + age of house = sale time. We introduce a method where the estimates of the age, time and vintage effects on prices are obtained in a flexible manner, without requiring us to specify a pre-determined functional form for either of these variables. Applying our method to Dutch data, we find that the estimated depreciation pattern over the life of houses does not follow the functional forms typically specified for the age of houses in hedonic regressions.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Australian School of Business Building, Sydney 2052|
Fax: +61)-2- 9313- 6337
Web page: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Sirmans & Lynn MacDonald & David Macpherson & Emily Zietz, 2006. "The Value of Housing Characteristics: A Meta Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 215-240, November.
- Fernando Ferreira & Joseph Gyourko, 2015. "A New Look at the U.S. Foreclosure Crisis: Panel Data Evidence of Prime and Subprime Borrowers from 1997 to 2012," NBER Working Papers 21261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Seow Eng Ong & Kim Hin David Ho & Chai Hoon Lim, 2003. "A Constant-quality Price Index for Resale Public Housing Flats in Singapore," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 40(13), pages 2705-2729, December.
- Timothy J. Dixon & Neil Crosby & Victoria K. Law, 1999. "A critical review of methodologies for measuring rental depreciation applied to UK commercial real estate," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 153-180, January.
- Robert J. Hill & Daniel Melser, 2008. "Hedonic Imputation And The Price Index Problem: An Application To Housing," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(4), pages 593-609, October.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Jan de Haan & Rens Hendriks, 2015.
"Hedonic Regressions and the Decomposition of a House Price Index into Land and Structure Components,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1-2), pages 106-126, February.
- de Haan, Jan & Diewert, Erwin & Hendriks, Rens, 2011. "Hedonic Regressions and the Decomposition of a House Price index into Land and Structure Components," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2011-8, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 05 Apr 2011.
- Jan de Haan & Frances Krsinich, 2014. "Scanner Data and the Treatment of Quality Change in Nonrevisable Price Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 341-358, July.
- Ariel Pakes, 2003. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indexes with an Application to PC's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1578-1596, December.
- Ariel Pakes, 2002. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indices with an Application to PC's," NBER Working Papers 8715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Carter Hill & J. R. Knight & C. F. Sirmans, 1997. "Estimating Capital Asset Price Indexes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 226-233, May.
- Thorsnes, Paul, 1997. "Consistent Estimates of the Elasticity of Substitution between Land and Non-Land Inputs in the Production of Housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 98-108, July.
- Jeffrey D. Fisher & Brent C Smith & Jerrold J. Stern & R. Brian Webb, 2005. "Analysis of Economic Depreciation for Multi-Family Property," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 27(4), pages 355-370.
- K. Chau & S. Wong & C. Yiu, 2005. "Adjusting for Non-Linear Age Effects in the Repeat Sales Index," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 137-153, September.
- Eurostat, 2013. "Handbook on Residential Property Prices Indices," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 17280.
- Brent C Smith, 2004. "Economic Depreciation of Residential Real Estate: Microlevel Space and Time Analysis," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 161-180, March.
- Redfearn, Christian L., 2009. "How informative are average effects? Hedonic regression and amenity capitalization in complex urban housing markets," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 297-306, May.
- Iqbal Syed, 2010. "Consistency of Hedonic Price Indexes with Unobserved Characteristics," Discussion Papers 2010-03, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Clapp, John M. & Giaccotto, Carmelo, 1998. "Residential Hedonic Models: A Rational Expectations Approach to Age Effects," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 415-437, November.
- Tim Erickson & Ariel Pakes, 2011. "An Experimental Component Index for the CPI: From Annual Computer Data to Monthly Data on Other Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 1707-1738, August.Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
- Timothy Erickson & Ariel Pakes, 2008. "An Experimental Component Index for the CPI: From Annual Computer Data to Monthly Data on Other Goods," NBER Working Papers 14368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:swe:wpaper:2016-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hongyi Li)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.